Aretha Franklin's Greatest Hits - The Next QUADIO Title

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WMG have so many of these, if they haven't already destroyed the masters

When we requested material from CBS Special Markets for the DTS titles, they were already in digital form, and all they had to do was replicate and send them. The Sony material was sent Hi 8 for a da-88. But typical shit from these guys, unorganized. We received an Ojays title with side 1 twice. Couple other titles were screwed up, out of the few we received. But Sony probably spent the dough to digitally organize somewhat, even back then, 1996. Most corporations in this country can not see beyond the next quarter. I doubt it that most are destroyed, but condition and location may be all over the map with WB titles. Maybe Quadwreck can inquire from his sources about the way WB has stored original material.

Sad to hear that. The master tapes (and copies) are the key assets for a record company. Keeping them well organized and at hand should be job 1.

When we requested material from CBS Special Markets for the DTS titles, they were already in digital form, and all they had to do was replicate and send them. The Sony material was sent Hi 8 for a da-88. But typical shit from these guys, unorganized. We received an Ojays title with side 1 twice. Couple other titles were screwed up, out of the few we received. But Sony probably spent the dough to digitally organize somewhat, even back then, 1996. Most corporations in this country can not see beyond the next quarter. I doubt it that most are destroyed, but condition and location may be all over the map with WB titles. Maybe Quadwreck can inquire from his sources about the way WB has stored original material.

I've been told that it's been well-treated, but a lot of labels fell off over the years (common in many archives), one person to thank is Bill Inglot, who no longer works there. He did a lot of organizing when he was working at Rhino.

do you recall which O'Jays album you got side 1 of twice in Quad?

do you recall which O'Jays album you got side 1 of twice in Quad?

It is this one!
Fred and all of you who happen to see this, send me an email addy for a link to dropbox and your Christmas wish will come true. Giving is good and you Kats and Kitten(s) can have this for a gift. No, I will not do anything will the email address, just put it in the place that gives you access to the half album. I put it up in dtswave and flac, ask for either or both. Just an easy way to this for a while without sending it all over the planet. Happy Solstice! Made it to the new cycle! Almost time to plant pepper seed! May your new year wishes come true!!

It is this one!
Fred and all of you who happen to see this, send me an email addy for a link to dropbox and your Christmas wish will come true. Giving is good and you Kats and Kitten(s) can have this for a gift. No, I will not do anything will the email address, just put it in the place that gives you access to the half album. I put it up in dtswave and flac, ask for either or both. Just an easy way to this for a while without sending it all over the planet. Happy Solstice! Made it to the new cycle! Almost time to plant pepper seed! May your new year wishes come true!!

Wow!! :yikes Really!? Thank you!!! :D :worthy :wave

It is this one!

Sorry - what album is it?

The warehouse fire occurred in early 1978 at a New Jersey storage facility Atlantic was using to house session reels (they kept the master mono and stereo takes of released material in New York, for ease of use in licensing or for their own albums). Since the tapes were insured, Atlantic wasn't out any money at the time, but of course, with CD reissues later on, so much that could have been heard is forever lost, and of course, any multitracks that were there are gone too.

The big question fans have been asking all these years: what was or wasn't stored at that warehouse? We know that the session tapes for LAYLA never got that far, and probably some others, but what I don't think has ever been revealed is a list of what was known to be there. We can surmise that since the only Aretha extras on Atlantic reissues are mono mixes or versions folded from quad (like "Chain Of Fools"), her session tapes are gone (as are most of Ray Charles; but as Bill Holland reported in Billboard in 2005, Jerry Wexler had a dub of some material made for him by Tom Dowd, and some of that material was later used for a Rhino box set). It's also believed the Led Zeppelin studio multis exist, as Jimmy Page sent along only the final stereo mixdowns. Others may have done the same--Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, for instance, let's hope other acts kept hold of the session reels as well, at least there's a chance for future MC releases if anyone's up to it.

ED :)

In many ways I think the 78 Jersey fire was much worse than the covered up 2008 Universal Studios (UMG) lot fire. A lot of irreplaceable music reels were lost forever. Entire artists multitracks wiped out with likely not many safety copies in existence. 1948-1969. Tom Dowd must have been heart broken. The UMG fire at least spurred a worldwide search for safety copies of classics, but some artists also lost it all which is really sad. Pathetic when billion dollar record companies can't ensure the safety of their own studio music catalogs. :(

At least they have up'd the game with the Quadio line of releases. Stepped up with big boxes, as well as upgraded to the BluRay disc format.

So nice! We're all just dying to know what comes next in the series. I hope it's one of the really great ones.

Back