DIGITAL At Least a Dozen 2002/2003 Elliot Scheiner 5.1 Mixes Have a LFE Issue (info/list/fixes inside)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
So I can't take full credit for making what I think is a pretty big discovery, but recently a user on Reddit put up a post that made a pretty watertight case that the LFE channel on Beck's Sea Change is 8ms delayed from the 5 main channels. That got me thinking because as we know, Porcupine Tree's In Absentia also suffers the same problem (I think @edisonbaggins discovered this, correct me if I'm wrong), and both of those 5.1 mixes were done by Elliot Scheiner in roughly the same time frame.

I started to wonder if Scheiner was the common denominator here, or if this was just some kind of fluke, or possibly if this was an intentional thing, like some part of the LFE creation process that I didn't understand and that the channel was meant to be offset slightly.

So because I have my entire collection ripped to files, I started going through some of the obvious ones to see if any others exhibited the same issue. The first couple I tried (America's Homecoming and Grover Washington, Jr's Winelight) were fine, but then I moved on to Donald Fagen and found that both The Nightfly and Kamakiriad had the same issue while Morph the Cat was fine.

At that point it seemed like it was pretty obvious that this issue wasn't confined to one or two discs, so I decided a more methodical approach was necessary, so summoning all of my nerd powers, I created a spreadsheet of either most (or all) of Scheiner's 5.1 music-only mixes (I don't have the interest, time or ability to do this for DVD or BluRay video) culled from the Surround Engineers poll information and augmented/double-checked with all his surround mixing credits on discogs.

Over the last few days I've gone through my entire collection of Scheiner's 5.1 mixes (I have most of them, except for the R.E.M. ones, Boz Scaggs Dig, and a handful of other stragglers) and determined which ones are fine, and which ones aren't, and for the defective ones, what adjustments need to be made. My process was pretty thorough: after importing a track from an album that I'd identified as faulty into my DAW (Nuendo 4.3) I zoomed way in and eye-matched the waveform of the LFE track with the waveforms of the front three channels (where most of the bass content usually is in the main mix) and then listened to the results on headphones - the result there was always that there was more bass after my adjustment. Lastly I checked my work using the phase correlation meter in the Voxengo SPAN VST plugin and always showed that my changes turned the LFE channel from being totally out of phase to fully in phase.

What my research revealed is that this issue started to crop up sometime partway through 2002 (his earliest 5.1 mixes, like the Doobie Bros. Captain and Me and Toy Matinee's self titled albums, both released in 2001 are fine) and then remedied itself sometime in 2003 - some 2003 mixes, and everything 2004 and onward is fine, bar some phase issues. However, not including the aforementioned titles I was unable to check, there are at least 12 of Scheiner's 5.1 mixes (across both DVD-A and SACD) that suffer from this problem.

The unusual thing is that (as I'll outline in the table below) is that the amount of delay seems to vary from album to album - several are in the 4ms - 5ms range, but Queen's A Night at the Opera is 6ms, Steely Dan's Everything Must Go is 7ms, Sea Change is 8ms, and Porcupine Tree's In Absentia (the worst offender) is 9ms.

This is a graphic I made of a selection of the "faulty" albums - the blue line is to give you a sense of time alignment, and then the red arrows point out the ridge in the LFE waveform that's lagging behind and should be under the blue line:

scheiner_LFE.jpg

Compare that with a release that doesn't have the same problem, Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat - this is from the intro to the title track, which has those heavy bass notes:
scheiner_LFE_correct.jpg

(Notice how perfectly everything lines up compared to the previous "faulty" examples.)

If you've made it this far, you're probably wondering "does this affect me?" and the answer is yes, especially if you're using bass management (ie running your front speakers in 'small' mode). If you're running all your speakers in 'large' mode (ie no low frequency content from the mains is being crossed over into the sub) this delay issue will only manifest itself as a slight lack of tightness in the low end, sort of like a very (very) short bass echo, but in 'small' mode, where the bass content from the main channels is being crossed over and sent to the LFE along with the dedicated LFE content, there's a serious phase cancellation issue that will rob any mix of a considerable amount of bass. A number of the titles in the table below like Fagen's Nightfly and Kamakiriad, Toto's Toto IV, and Steely Dan's Everything Must Go (especially in comparison to Fagen's Morph the Cat) have always seemed a little light in the low end and I believe this issue accounts for that shortcoming. The difference isn't night and day like with titles where the LFE is actually phase inverted (like the Jeff Beck Blow by Blow SACD for example) because that's a 100% loss of whatever's duplicated between the out-of-phase channels, but the difference to my ears was significant - the bass sounded tighter, more prominent, less boomy, and extended deeper in to the lower frequencies.

Full disclosure here, I haven't actually listened to all of these albums with my fixes applied on my 5.1 system (only selected tracks) but everything I've heard both in surround and downmixed to stereo on my headphones suggests that I'm correct. I'm kind of hoping that someone with actual professional experience (like resident QQ mastering genius @Plan9 ) can validate my conclusions before I go modifying more than a dozen albums.

As far as a hypothesis on how this might have happened, the only educated guess I can make is that Scheiner was either using a piece of outboard gear to do his LFE channel creation that induced a slight delay, or a computer plugin that didn't compensate for latency induced by processing time. I think this is the likeliest scenario because, having critically listened to the LFE channels on every one of these albums on headphones, they all sound to me like a low-pass filtered mono sum of the 5 main channels (ie the result of some kind of process) rather than having anything intentionally discretely mixed there, like (for example) the Chycki Rush 5.1 mixes, which have full-range bass guitar in the LFE, which would suggest a mastering issue rather than a mixing issue. I do, however, thing it would be wise to look at more DVD-A/SACD releases from around the same 2002-2003 timeframe these were released to find out if this LFE problem was more widespread than just Elliot Scheiner's mixing rig. I personally haven't noticed any in any of the discs I've ever looked at, but it doesn't hurt to be 100% sure.

So you're probably saying to yourself "that's fine and dandy, Dave, but I don't have the time, patience, or money to learn how to operate all the high-fallootin' technical contraptions to fix this!" (or words to that effect) and the good news on that front is that (if you have your music ripped to 5.1 files) Forum Genius @HomerJAU is working on an update to his fantastic Music Media Helper app that will allow you to adjust the the time alignment of the LFE channel relative to the other channels. So all you need to do is point it at the folder where the album is, input the value in milliseconds, and it'll do the rest. I'm sure he'll post when it's done, but I believe it should be ready in the next few days and will work with both FLAC and DSD (.dsf) files.

ArtistTitleFormatsRelease YearLFE Issue?Adjustment (ms)Notes / Other Issues
AmericaHomecomingDVD-A/SACD2001NO
BeckSea ChangeDVD-A/SACD/BDA2002YES
8ms
SACD & BDA: FL & FR are out of phase (DVD-A is OK)
BeckGueroDVD-A2006YES
0ms
Track 1-12 LFE is out of phase / Track 13 is OK
BeyonceBeyonce: The Visual AlbumBD-V/DVD-V2014NO
Derek and The DominosLayla and Other Assorted Love SongsDTS DVD-V2011NO
Doobie Bros.The Captain and MeDVD-A/SACD2001NO
Dylan, BobBlood on the TracksSACD2003YES
6ms​
EaglesHell Freezes OverDTS CD/DVD-V1997MAYBELFE either out of phase or misaligned
EaglesHotel CaliforniaDVD-A/SACD2001NO
Eric Clapton461 Ocean Blvd.BDA2013NOGive Me Strength' Box Set
Fagen, DonaldThe NightflyDVD-A/SACD2002YES
4ms
Fagen, DonaldKamakiriadDVD-A2003YES
4ms
Fagen, DonaldMorph the CatDVD-A2006NO
Flaming LipsYoshimi Battles the Pink RobotsDVD-A2003YES
5ms​
Guns 'N' RosesAppetite For DestructionBDA2018NO
Foo FightersIn Your HonorDVD-A2005NO
Hill, FaithCryDVD-A2002YES
4ms​
(different delays on different tracks)
Lukather, SteveCandymanDTS CD2002YES
TBD​
(per HaikuBass)
Lynyrd SkynyrdSouthern SurroundingsDVD-A/BDA2012NO
Mallet, AlainMutt SlangDTS DVD-V2016
Mallet, AlainMutt Slang II: A Wake of SorrowsFLAC D/L2020NO
Morrison, VanMoondanceBDA2013NO
Neville, AaronNature Boy: The Standards AlbumDVD-A/SACD2003YES
5ms​
New York VoicesLet It SnowSACD2014YES
TBD​
Orbison, RoyBlack & White NightDVD-A/SACD2004NO
Porcupine TreeIn AbsentiaDVD-A2003YES
9ms​
LFE needs 7.6dB boost / Center channel is out of phase
Porcupine TreeDeadwingDVD-A2005NO
QueenA Night at the OperaDVD-A2002YES
6ms​
Withdrawn 1st mix
R.E.M.Automatic for the PeopleDVD-A2003YES
7ms​
(per MrSmithers)
R.E.M.In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003DVD-A2003YES
TBD​
(per AYanguas, approx 6ms)
R.E.M.DocumentDVD-A2003NO
R.E.M.GreenDVD-A2005YES
7ms​
(per MrSmithers)
R.E.M.Out of TimeDVD-A2005YES
7ms​
(per MrSmithers)
R.E.M.RevealDVD-A2002YES
4ms​
(per MrSmithers)
R.E.M.MonsterDVD-A2005YES
7ms​
(per MrSmithers)
R.E.M.UpDVD-A2005YES
7ms​
(per MrSmithers)
R.E.M.New Adventures in Hi-FiDVD-A2005YES
2ms​
(per MrSmithers)
R.E.M.Around the SunDVD-A2005YES
3ms​
(per MrSmithers)
Scaggs, BozDigDVD-A2001YES
TBD​
(per MrSmithers)
Steely DanEverything Must GoDVD-A2003YES
7ms
Steely DanGaucho (1998 Mix)DTS CD1998NO
Steely DanGaucho (2003 Mix)DVD-A/SACD2003NO
Steely DanTwo Against NatureDVD-A2002NO
StingBrand New DayDTS CD/DVD-A/SACD1999NO
TotoToto IVSACD/BDA2003YES
4ms [1-2,4-9]
8ms [3, 10]
Toy MatineeToy MatineeDTS CD/DVD-A2001NO
Washington Jr., GroverWinelightDVD-A/SACD2002NO

[Delay time in bold means the results have been verified for all tracks.]

(If anyone can help with the missing albums, that would be great - a screenshot of foobar's 6 channel oscilloscope (or similar) at a moment where there's a big bass hit, like in the images I posted above, will allow me to discern which albums are good immediately, and which ones are bad and need LFE delay figured out.)

Last edited:
...If you're running all your speakers in 'large' mode (ie no low frequency content from the mains is being crossed over into the sub) this delay issue will only manifest itself as a slight lack of tightness in the low end, sort of like a very (very) short bass echo...

I have large tower speakers and a large full range center. So I'm thinking that using Audacity to simply drive the LFE volume to something like -40dB,essentially getting rid of the LFE, might also be a solution? (Except perhaps on In Absentia.)

Hmm... I think it could be interesting to see if the LFE channels on the affected mixes are all low-pass filtered, or full-range.
Or who mastered them.
If they're Low Pass Filtered that would add in a Group Delay, so that could be why one is seen,

Very approximately, the Delay, Td, in milliseconds (ms), where n is the filter order, and fc is the 3dB cut-off frequency in Hz of the filter.

Td = 125n/fc

Assuming a Butterworth filter, so maximally flat, a 100Hz cut-off frequency, and wanting to reduce the signal by at least 30dB at 500Hz, you would require a 3rd to 6th order Low Pass Filter.

For filter orders;

3rd: Td = 3.75ms
4th: Td = 5ms
5th: Td = 6.25ms
6th: Td = 7.5ms

Blimey, thanks for researching into all this Dave...

Just had a quick check and Out Of Time looks to be out of time.... I think Boz Scaggs might have the delay issue as well looking quickly at it... I can have a proper butchers later...

R.E.M. - Radio Song from Out Of Time

OOT.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting discovery!

The evidence speaks for itself there too. I don't have a lot of ES 5.1 mixes I guess. Just not a lot of favorite music in that catalog I suppose.

Curious how this might have come about! Circa 2002... he would have very likely been using Protools HD (might have still been "tdm" then). That was before their really big crash and burn around 2008... Still tempting to talk smack about Protools!

Going out on a limb...
Mastering screw up? Maybe he had a full range Lfe track (from the mixing workflow style of "bass extension" sends to Lfe)? And then someone low passed it in mastering? And they were using Protools too and just missed their timing mistake? Note, at this point that all plugin delay compensation in a DAW was MANUAL! Protools would not invent that feature for a couple more years. A misalignment from using a latent plugin was an all the time thing to correct. It was SOP to run delay plugins on every track to have the ability to adjust back into sync. Once you started running out of processing on the pci cards you might remove those delay plugins and start nudging tracks by samples manually manually that way. You really had to PAY ATTENTION!

I can only speculate but it must have been something like that.
We're just going to go ahead and blame Protools! :D

Hmmm...
We have a number of "vocal alignment" and "drum alignment" plugins for automating phase locking things back together. It might be possible to write a script for a DAW like Reaper, maybe using one of these style plugins, and come up with an automated way to sync the Lfe back up. (Or write a JS plugin and try to do that peak identifying math yourself.) Having to trial and error type in values in samples and listen by ear would take longer than click-dragging that track into alignment by eye! Doesn't sound trivial though... You still want to visually verify the results. Which leads back to just grabbing it in the first place.

No question that either this new discovery or the rogue full range Lfe track masters allowed to slip out would absolutely skew what you hear on the style of speaker managed system where you run with no dedicated sub and redirect the Lfe track content to your front L/R mains! And/or sounding like your sub is out of phase in a 1:1 5.1 system.

Nice work spotting this!
This seems insidiously difficult to just notice and speculate on the cause and find!
Easy and obvious in hindsight. From the front: "I should be hearing more bass here. It sounds like it's being comb filtered and cancelled. Yep, look at that Lfe track out of sync!" Comb filtering does have a sound but still... Impressed!

Are you a mastering engineer @steelydave? Maybe you should be!

Last edited:
Another easy way to examine waveforms of a PCM file (FLAC or WAV) on Windows is load a file into Audacity (free), select an obvious LFE peak, then zoom in (about 9 or 10 zoom+ clicks on the toolbar).

I should have a new Channel Alignment tool added to Music Media Helper later today to enable easy fixing of affected albums. This will only support FLAC, WAV and DSF files.

Beck: Sea Change (BDA) waveform:

041D66EE-3DA9-40EC-AB91-7BC4E00586AE.png

Issue 1: LFE not aligned
Issue 2: L & R phase inverted with C, LFE Ls & Rs

EDIT: LFE looks out of phase too but aligning with a 8ms shift forward puts the LFE in phase with C, Ls & Lr

Last edited:
After checking briefly I think all the R.E.M. albums have the LFE timing issue bar 'Document'. I haven't checked everything and I'm having some wine now so I might not be seeing it right?! 😀 Also Boz Scaggs has it it too as far as I can see...🧐

Last edited:
FWIW, when analyzing and comparing playback for In Absentia, I did notice a difference between the uncorrected mix/master and the phase-corrected version.
I did not notice a difference between the phase-corrected version and the 3rd version that also nudged the LFE to line up.

I'm quite happy with the corrected blu-ray, in that sense. I buy the theory that the offset is created by a filter. As such, I'm willing to let it go and not label it as a "mistake," but as an artifact of using a certain tool. At a certain point, if the music works for me I'm good.

After checking briefly I think all the R.E.M. albums have the LFE timing issue bar 'Document'. I haven't checked everything and I'm having some wine now so I might be not seeing it right?! 😀 Also Boz Scaggs has it it too as far as I can see...🧐
I never heard anyone complaining about sound quality on the Boz Scaggs disc.;)

Back