Atmos 101 for old like myself....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Ok, so Atmos may be the new game in the multichannel town. To say that there's a bit of confusion on that argument is a understatement. :)

Someone can suggest a primer about Atmos, multichannel-music-oriented?

For example, i saw Atmos is supported on FireStick4k and ChromecastGoogleTV: does these just pass to a atmos-enabled receiver the atmos multichannel audio stream, or can these decode it and pass it to any hdmi receiver?

Ok, so Atmos may be the new game in the multichannel town. To say that there's a bit of confusion on that argument is a understatement. :)

For example, i saw Atmos is supported on FireStick4k and ChromecastGoogleTV: does these just pass to a atmos-enabled receiver the atmos multichannel audio stream, or can these decode it and pass it to any hdmi receiver?
Hereā€™s an excellent thread by @HomerJAU that may answer some of your questions
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/dolby-atmosĀ®-faq.26939/

I second Pup's recommendation of HomerJAU's Atmos FAQ thread.

As for Firestick, AppleTV, NVIDIA shield, etc.: Tidal supports selected devices for Atmos streaming--but only selected devices. And yes, they must be used in conjunction with an Atmos-capable AVR (and a specific Tidal subscription). If you have the patience, you can wade through people's trials and tribulations here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/tidal-adds-dolby-atmos-music.27443/

I have read a lot on these last days, i will be happy (enough) with classic 5.1 for stuff that is tidal-only. If i have a Firestick 4k (seems the only one that does support Atmos), could i have the TrueHd stream playing on a non-Atmos capable avr?

I have read a lot on these last days, i will be happy (enough) with classic 5.1 for stuff that is tidal-only. If i have a Firestick 4k (seems the only one that does support Atmos), could i have the TrueHd stream playing on a non-Atmos capable avr?
I think you will only get stereo if you don't have a Atmos AVR. :cautious:

OK, so I am ready to set up my newest multichannel system (this time with Atmos) once the damn Timbernation rack arrives. I have all the equipment (except one):
* For Atmos streaming playback I have Apple TV 4k (and subscription) and Lyngdorf MP-40 prepro
* For Atmos disc playback I have a Sony X800 bluray player into same Lyngdorf MP-40 prepro
* For Atmos file-based playback (movies and music, aka ripped BluRays) I DON'T HAVE anything yet. My music server is dedicated to HQplayer ( 2 channel and multichannel flac, wav and dsf) so that won't do.

Where do you folks serve your Atmos MKV files, etc from? I don't have much so far (maybe 10 ripped Blurays, all for audio, like Abbey Road, White Album, Yello Point, Kraftwerk, etc). But I'd like something with a movie server software (plex, jriver, kodi) so I can manage the library visually.

Iā€™m using a NAS and two Kodi Intel NUCs. The NUCs are extremely fast for library navigation and I also use an iPad for browsing and playing my music via Kodi. I can sit outside in my yard and play any album or track from my iPad on either of my two systems.

All my Atmos is stored as tagged .m4a files for audio (Kodi needs tagged files) and MKV for video (concerts and movies).

I only have one true Atmos system (7.1.4) but my 5.1 system plays same Atmos files with no problems (it does have an AVR with Atmos decoder).

With an iPad you can navigate your music by artist, album title, genre, year etc in Kodi without needing a screen. Youā€™ll see everything in you Kodi library including album covers and playlists.

The only choice right now is to purchase an AV receiver or theater install aimed audio interface with the Atmos decoder codec hidden inside in the unit's firmware. If that means re-purchasing the expensive bits like the ADCs and amps in that AVR, that's tough! This is the bottom line right now until Dolby decides to finally release the playback codec. (I imagine after enough forced AVR "upgrade" sales have come to pass.)

All the "workarounds" you see involve passing the Atmos encoded files to Atmos decoding equipped AV receivers.

The hardest part should be hanging 4 new speakers from your ceiling. Turns out it's the greedy move with the codec.

OK, so I am ready to set up my newest multichannel system (this time with Atmos) once the damn Timbernation rack arrives. I have all the equipment (except one):
* For Atmos streaming playback I have Apple TV 4k (and subscription) and Lyngdorf MP-40 prepro
* For Atmos disc playback I have a Sony X800 bluray player into same Lyngdorf MP-40 prepro
* For Atmos file-based playback (movies and music, aka ripped BluRays) I DON'T HAVE anything yet. My music server is dedicated to HQplayer ( 2 channel and multichannel flac, wav and dsf) so that won't do.

Where do you folks serve your Atmos MKV files, etc from? I don't have much so far (maybe 10 ripped Blurays, all for audio, like Abbey Road, White Album, Yello Point, Kraftwerk, etc). But I'd like something with a movie server software (plex, jriver, kodi) so I can manage the library visually.
If you want to play files while you're sorting out file server details, your Sony X800 will do a great job through the USB port. I've got a cheap 64GB thumb drive that I've got a bunch of 5.1 FLACs and Atmos MKVs on and it handles them all just fine. It'll also play stereo and 5.1 DSD files. No fancy interface with screen art or anything but I typically queue up an album, turn off the TV and then hit play anyway. :)

If you want to play files while you're sorting out file server details, your Sony X800 will do a great job through the USB port. I've got a cheap 64GB thumb drive that I've got a bunch of 5.1 FLACs and Atmos MKVs on and it handles them all just fine. It'll also play stereo and 5.1 DSD files. No fancy interface with screen art or anything but I typically queue up an album, turn off the TV and then hit play anyway. :)
Thanks so much; I haven't bought the X800 yet but from what I'd read (and now your feedback) I understand it can send the Truhd lossless layer to the prepro via USB, and most can't. It's why I'm thinking X800 rather than the UB840.
So what do you use to navigate through the USB drive?

Thanks so much; I haven't bought the X800 yet but from what I'd read (and now your feedback) I understand it can send the Truhd lossless layer to the prepro via USB, and most can't. It's why I'm thinking X800 rather than the UB840.
So what do you use to navigate through the USB drive?
Basically, you plug the USB drive in and power it on and it brings you to a home screen with USB as one of the options. You can see a crummy screenshot of the home screen on page 15 of the manual here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...ray-disc-players-recorders/ubp-x800m2/manuals

It'll just continue playing files in the folder you're in until you stop and you can skip, pause, etc using the remote. It's very responsive and works great. Not super pretty to look at but gets the job done!

All my Atmos is stored as tagged .m4a files for audio (Kodi needs tagged files) and MKV for video (concerts and movies).
Thanks. One more follow-up if I may:
Are those .m4a and .mkv files whole disc/album (one track) with a cue file, or can individual chapter m4a and mkv files be presented one after the other gapless. Important in such Atmos albums as Abbey Road. :)

Youā€˜ll need a cue file and a single .mka or .MKV file with chapters for true gapless playback for Atmos.

On my NUCs individual .m4a files are ā€˜almostā€™ gapless, just a micro stutter, which is just noticeable of a few gapless albums like Abbey Road.

Kodi is gapless for MCH FLAC.

Back