Atmos Digital Download Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know about AVRs, but my OPPO 105 plays 5.1 FLAC, DSD and DSF files through its USB ports just fine.
Indeed, as do my OPPO's.

But why can't AVR's play the same multi-channel audio files (via USB or network connected HDD) using their own UI. Why do they only offer support for 2-channel stereo... It's not on!

Indeed, as do my OPPO's.

But why can't AVR's play the same multi-channel audio files (via USB or network connected HDD) using their own UI. Why do they only offer support for 2-channel stereo... It's not on!
I originally thought that was because they wanted to sell you a surround network box, but all the 'big' manufacturers only sell stereo network boxes, it is all a bit bizarre. Probably because they think stereo is for music and surround is only for films!

Honestly, I don't know if my Marantz pre-pro will play multi-channel files from its USB ports. I've played some files through them, but I prefer the sound from the OPPO, so it's been a long time since I tried it. I've set up the OPPO as a LAN streamer, and it won't play DSD or DSF files through the network - only through USB. I can't say that's all bad, because it works for me, but it is curious.

It is beyond my imagination why these sophisticated modern AVRs do not handle multichannel/ Atmos via USB. Thank goodness for the Oppo's.

Time to get a laptop for this stuff like Baggins is doing?
The media players, like Oppo (original discontinued), and others like Dune, Zappity, etc., since my old glorious Popcorn Hour, were intended mainly (I think) for playing video films, with its surround, immersive sound tracks.
It was obvious for their manufacturers to include also the "sound only" file formats to play cue/flacs, mkv, mts, etc. (hdmi passthrough) for that small niche amount of consumers (like us) that use them primarily for surround/immersive music instead of films. And only few of them thought about our needs of native DVD-A, and SACD.

AVR manufacturers have not addressed that small niche amount of consumers. Only the stereo music massive market. And not yet the Sony 360 RA.

With the next massive immersive offer via virtualized stereo headphones, no need of HDMI AVR devices. And now what?

There is still the availability of those hdmi media players for these purposes, if and when the PC solution could be complicated to setup.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know if my Marantz pre-pro will play multi-channel files from its USB ports
It won't. It won't even play multichannel from a PC or NAS. Here are shots from the 8805A pro-pro manual. Oh come now, Barfle. You expect everything from a pre-pro that only costs $5500? :whistle: Ridiculous.

Marantz USB.jpg
Marantz PC.jpg

It won't. It won't even play multichannel from a PC or NAS. Here are shots from the 8805A pro-pro manual. Oh come now, Barfle. You expect everything from a pre-pro that only costs $5500? :whistle: Ridiculous.

View attachment 83508View attachment 83509
I didn’t expect it on my $2000 pre-pro, which just might be why I use the OPPO 105 for such stuff. It works fine, so I don’t really need another port.
😏

Big Companies (AVR) have to follow the game rules: royalties, copy protections, patent protections, etc. Multichannel is more "protected" than stereo.

Other small companies (media players) have more "fredom" to avoid following rules.

Even original Oppo cannot play some files (only discs). You need jo jailbreak.

Free formats, like FLAC, are enemies of the game rules (i.e. MQA)

Very true.
I can easily understand how the costs of a BluRay production can limit any enthusiasm.
But the cost of putting up a lossless mkv pay-per-download, to include scans of the artwork, is virtually nil and the profits from their sale looks totally win-win. I've loved the offerings from IAA plus a few others and have purchased many of them.
Why can't we get more ??? :unsure:
Perhaps because the costs aren’t virtually nil with very little economies of scale?

To set up a download on the IAA site costs the client $0. So you're right, the costs aren't "virtually nil" - they are nil.
Assuming a major label would even want to that, it’s doubtful contractually either party can do it for the vast majority of major label acts.

If it was legal and profitable, they’d be doing it. So it’s either not legal, not profitable or both.

It’s called the music business for a reason.

All three major labels sell downloads through platforms such as HDTracks and Qobuz using a similar business model, so the legality is clearly not an issue. Yes, labels are protective of their IP and there are digital distribution agreements to navigate - but my advice is to pay attention to this space over the coming years, what you see may surprise you.

All three major labels sell downloads through platforms such as HDTracks and Qobuz using a similar business model, so the legality is clearly not an issue. Yes, labels are protective of their IP and there are digital distribution agreements to navigate - but my advice is to pay attention to this space over the coming years, what you see may surprise you.
Sure. Because the download market is poised to explode…it’s all the rage with the kids these days.

A niche market of dying niche market.

Sure. Because the download market is poised to explode…it’s all the rage with the kids these days.

A niche market of dying niche market.

What a dumb strawman argument. The download market doesn't need to "explode" to be a sustainable business model, it just needs to adapt.

People have been saying that things are dead as long as there have been things to make the comment about. The vinyl market was "dead" in the '90s, the pre-recorded tape market has been dead several times, and the surround sound market has been dead even more times, yet here we are in 2024 with people buying all of these things.

Do you even enjoy listening to music? It seems all you do here is make negative comments about everything.

What a dumb strawman argument. The download market doesn't need to "explode" to be a sustainable business model, it just needs to adapt.

People have been saying that things are dead as long as there have been things to make the comment about. The vinyl market was "dead" in the '90s, the pre-recorded tape market has been dead several times, and the surround sound market has been dead even more times, yet here we are in 2024 with people buying all of these things.

Do you even enjoy listening to music? It seems all you do here is make negative comments about everything.
I love music. I just refuse to engage in wishful thinking - and this place is overflowing with it.

“It just needs to adapt”…I’m not the one yelling at speeding trains and not understanding why no one cares.

Last edited:
"It just needs to adapt”…I’m not the one yelling at speeding trains and not understanding why no one cares.
I will say that if you act this way in person as you do in this message, you're going to miss out on a lot of great relationships. Cynicism has its place, but when someone bathes in it, well, people can smell that.

I will say that if you act this way in person as you do in this message, you're going to miss out on a lot of great relationships. Cynicism has its place, but when someone bathes in it, well, people can smell that.
So is bathing in never-ending self-absorbed complaining about the music industry.

Enjoy the music.

Back