Atmos Goodbye Yellow Brick Road — Is There or Isn’t There?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I’ve heard Greg Penny mixed this in Atmos, but where is it?
On Tidal?

I can’t find it, but you know that doesn’t mean much if you’ve been following the Tidal thread. No one at Tidal noticed that there are over 50 tracks you can’t access without importing someone else’s playlist.

Perhaps too busy not responding to emails.

I’ve heard Greg Penny mixed this in Atmos, but where is it?
On Tidal?

I can’t find it, but you know that doesn’t mean much if you’ve been following the Tidal thread. No one at Tidal noticed that there are over 50 tracks you can’t access without importing someone else’s playlist.

Perhaps too busy not responding to emails.
Yes it's on Tidal.....have it on my Atmos playlist, either that or on my 360 playlist

What on Tidal is mixed in 360?
How do you find it (other than importing a playlist)?

No mention anywhere on Apple TV 4K.
Lemme guess — not supported?

If I search for '360' on the Apple TV 4K, they will appear on the results.
But the Apple sends a normal stereo PCM signal to the receiver (i.e. without the 3D effect).

On a Windows PC, if I select the same 360 track, the tidal app retrieves a different version (FLAC), not the 360 file.

If I play it on the mobile with headphones, then I get the crappy simulated 3D -- I'd rather listen to the regular stereo version.

I tried to play the 360 file (the mobile phone version) on the Windows PC, but this format/codec is not supported by the media players on the PC:

Format : MPEG-H 3D Audio
Format profile : 21
Codec ID : mha1
Bit rate : 666 kb/s
Channel(s) : 98 channels
Sampling rate : 64.0 kHz

And you cannot bitstream it to a receiver and let it do the decoding, the same way you could with Atmos / DTS-X / Auro3D.
I hope Sony gives up and joins the enemy (Dolby Atmos) -- there are many Sony 360 songs that are not available on Atmos.
Or at least keep this new format war on mobile / headphones, and port the songs to Atmos on the home setup, where not a single receiver supports 360.

And then we still have Atmos on Amazon - it would be a shame if we don't get a chance to listen to them properly.

Last edited:
If I search for '360' on the Apple TV 4K, they will appear on the results.
But the Apple sends a normal stereo PCM signal to the receiver (i.e. without the 3D effect).

On a Windows PC, if I select the same 360 track, the tidal app retrieves a different version (FLAC), not the 360 file.

If I play it on the mobile with headphones, then I get the crappy simulated 3D -- I'd rather listen to the regular stereo version.

I tried to play the 360 file (the mobile phone version) on the Windows PC, but this format/codec is not supported by the media players on the PC:

Format : MPEG-H 3D Audio
Format profile : 21
Codec ID : mha1
Bit rate : 666 kb/s
Channel(s) : 98 channels
Sampling rate : 64.0 kHz

And you cannot bitstream it to a receiver and let it do the decoding, the same way you could with Atmos / DTS-X / Auro3D.
I hope Sony gives up and joins the enemy (Dolby Atmos) -- there are many Sony 360 songs that are not available on Atmos.
Or at least keep this new format war on mobile / headphones, and port the songs to Atmos on the home setup, where not a single receiver supports 360.

Right: 360 Reality Audio is a "psychoacoustic," headphone-oriented 3-D virtualization system only. (It nominally works on Amazon Echo Studio, but Sony is really pushing headphones.)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/tidal-unveils-sony-360-reality-audio.27285/
https://www.sony.com/electronics/360-reality-audio

Back