Atmos Music: What Heights (Literally) Has It Reached?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
So I’m all Tidaled up with my Apple TV 4K, Sony Atmos AVR, 4.1 surround speakers plus two high wall-mounted front height satellites (all my AVR supports). But I ain’t hearin’ a whole heckuva lot in those height speakers — are you? What elements in what tracks are placed there?

Someone posted that Riders on the Storm has thunder up there. I didn’t notice because I was too busy being flabbergasted by the worst mix ever of this great song. Anything else?

I would expect a common, appropriate use of the heights would be for reverb, especially the rear-delayed big-hall type. But if I were at the board I’d reserve much of that for the rear heights. Any of you out there with a full 5.1.4 or better setup with rear heights hearing any reverb back there? Or up front?

I've only sampled on a 5.1.2 system and have the heights above and in front of the listening position. It depends on the mix... As we know on some songs it just ain't up to much (thinking Allman Brothers :cry:) but I've defo heard discrete stuff up there on some songs. Handclaps, drums, thunder etc....

And on some songs even it's if's just a reverb extension it has added to a sense listening in 3D rather then extended stereo... But it all depends if the producer can pull it off.

I'd check out the Kraftwerk mixes which are due to come onto Tidal next week. That's some of the best Atmos I've ever heard!

You can experiment by connecting the receiver's front channels output to the height speakers, and the height channels from the receiver to the front speakers.

(1) You will be able to hear what's actually going on in the height channels, by listening to them through the front speakers.

(2) You will be able to check how effective your height speakers are, since they will now be active and receiving the front channels audio, given that they're smaller and farther from your listening position relative to the front speakers.
With 2 height speakers only, I think it's more effective to have them overhead instead of the front wall:
www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/4.1.2-overhead-speakers-setup-guide/
(I also understand that we have room / installation limitations).

And then you compile a list of the top 10 Tidal songs with most active height channels and let us know ;)

But really with a few exceptions like the helicopter / thunder special effects and some "non-traditional" music, don't expect to hear much discrete audio from the height channels. So I think an "immersive" mix of a song (with vocals/guitars/keyboards/drums,etc.) would be different from mixing a movie.
Take the Beatles' Abbey Road as an example, which has been praised in this forum:
- Do you 'hear' a lot of stuff in the heights ? Not much.
- Do you notice a difference in the 'feel' of the Atmos track vs the 5.1 track ? I will let the other members answer that.

Last edited:
Back