Atmos release of Suzanne Ciani - LIVE Quadraphonic

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may be right, I may have over reacted a bit. But I do know I'd be really pissed if I laid my money down expecting a Atmos immersive experience and only got quad? I'd prefer a little more transparency.

Well, I usually look for comments, reviews, and being in a forum like QQ I find lot of information about many releases, before I laid my money down.
In a thread like this I think there is LOT of transparency.

Perhaps it would be a good practice to have a space in TIDAL to put a description of the content by the seller, for the sake of transparency. But, actually, this offering is within a subscription service that does not add any amount of money if you listen to it. It would be a different situation if selling in another media as DVD/Blu-ray, but then, I think my previous sentence apply. Look for information, reviews, forums, before buying.

Or, as it was done when I was young, Buy according to the beauty of the cover art. But then it is a lottery :)

Maybe some modern ones, but I had a hell of a time playing most of the ones I had until Gary showed me how to fix them with MMH. :)

You say modern ones? I say Current Ones. What releases are done now in only 4.0 channels like 70's media such as reel tapes, cartridges or CD-4 Vinyls?
The current ones are only optical disc media (SACD, DVD, Blu-ray) apart from streaming media. And they are only 2.0 or 5.1/7.1 with or without metadata for 3D. That's good for compatibility for the different players. Currently there is no strictly 4.0 only container. But still there is interesting Quad 4.0 mixing music interest.

I also play with MMH to change the channel positions of the Quad rears, But that is not the subject. I was referring to the media used for releasing multichannel music editions.

I'm only going to make one more statement on the situation and then let it go since I can have no real effect on it one way or the other..
Going back a couple years Mark Waldrep of AIX tried to lead a group with a position on the use of the HiRez labels on recordings and gear. He believed, as did I, that if a recording was to be labeled High Resolution it should have started life as a greater than Redbook data rate recording from the microphones on and continued as such all the way to the consumers media. He was told that his position was "bad for commerce" and in the end, the reality of today is that you can take a 1920s recording made on a Edison phonograph or a magnetic wire recorder, rip it to a better than Redbook digital recording and call the final product HiRez. :(
IMHO the HiRez badging has lost all meaning beyond the ability to make money from the Joe Sixpack consumer, and I fear the same is now happening with the Atmos name. You can no longer purchase a product with the Atmos label and expect an immersive experience with vertical information. :(
Nuff said.

As to early live quad performances, I think Pink Floyd has the honor for that. ;)
First pop music surround-sound concert, but Karlheinz Stockhausen's Kontakte (1959) is an electronic piece for four-channel tape that was performed in a four speaker, piano and percussion version years before Pink Floyd.

His Gesang der Jünglinge (1956) was said to be a favorite of Paul McCartney's.

As to early live quad performances, I think Pink Floyd has the honor for that.

Not sure :sneaky:

It is also interesting to note that live music performances in surround, even in Quadraphonic, date back to past centuries, when there was no sound recording, amplification and reproduction technology.

Giovanni Gabrieli composed in surround in the 16th century, for his performance in the Cathedral of Saint Mark in Venice, placing the musicians in different groups and in different locations to take advantage of the acoustics of the cathedral.

Berlioz's Requiem (19th Century) features a complex orchestration with four metal choirs, each in four corners around the listener: north, south, east and west.

Those composers did understand that Life is in Surround.

A very dark gray area that I can't seem to find myself comfortable with?
What if I was to produce a album with only the front left and right "channels" used and slapped a big Atmos label on the front of it?
What if folks start remixing old 2 track recordings in a Atmos container and slapping the Atmos label on it to enhance sales?
"Tidal now leads the market segment with over 25,000 Atmos titles"
I'm not accusing you of anything but as I said I'm just not comfortable with the use of Atmos tech and it's logo sales power in this manner.
After all we have plenty of folk selling $5k+ 6' power cords in this industry, there is very little integrity left.
Look at what passes for High Definition music today.
With the resurrection of my post, I was looking through the thread, being reminded of the worthwhile discussion above.

Since the introduction of Apple Music+Atmos, I’ve become quite disappointed with the level of effort and creativity of a large percentage of what I’ve heard. When you listen through the charts of the top “atmos” songs on Apple Music, most of them seem to do little more than put reverbs in the surround channels to label it “Atmos.”

I’m curious what you all think about this.

With the resurrection of my post, I was looking through the thread, being reminded of the worthwhile discussion above.

Since the introduction of Apple Music+Atmos, I’ve become quite disappointed with the level of effort and creativity of a large percentage of what I’ve heard. When you listen through the charts of the top “atmos” songs on Apple Music, most of them seem to do little more than put reverbs in the surround channels to label it “Atmos.”

I’m curious what you all think about this.
It is a quick/cheap way of generating an Atmos file. Some have called it Fake-Atmos.

I’m afraid it is not much difference between a very good Atmos mix for discrete Home Cinema Speakers and a fake expanded Stereo with reverbs, when listening with the virtualized headphones.

If this is true, then why bother and look for more expensive creator artists that mix well in Atmos, if the massive target customer is going to be the people with Headphones?

Fortunately, we still have some ‘Atmos believers’ that mix either with discrete ping-pong effects (and not forgetting to put enough content in the tops/heights) or with enveloping sounds that enhance the listening with the 'sound inside my head' or the to be there effects.

I wonder how many of all that ‘reference demo’ Atmos mixes that we comment here are really of enhanced listening experience with headphones, compared with standard stereo on headphones.

I'm only going to make one more statement on the situation and then let it go since I can have no real effect on it one way or the other..
Going back a couple years Mark Waldrep of AIX tried to lead a group with a position on the use of the HiRez labels on recordings and gear. He believed, as did I, that if a recording was to be labeled High Resolution it should have started life as a greater than Redbook data rate recording from the microphones on and continued as such all the way to the consumers media. He was told that his position was "bad for commerce" and in the end, the reality of today is that you can take a 1920s recording made on a Edison phonograph or a magnetic wire recorder, rip it to a better than Redbook digital recording and call the final product HiRez. :(
IMHO the HiRez badging has lost all meaning beyond the ability to make money from the Joe Sixpack consumer, and I fear the same is now happening with the Atmos name. You can no longer purchase a product with the Atmos label and expect an immersive experience with vertical information. :(
Nuff said.
I know this is going back a ways, but this thread recently got resurrected and I don’t recall having read it before.

Atmos, at least according to the documents I’ve read, doesn’t require height information. It requires sound objects, which can be located above the bed plane, but don’t need to be there.

I’ve listened to a couple of those huge downloads. I can’t say for sure what the differences are except the ones labeled “front only” but I thought of Morton Subotnick pretty quickly. I see that Suzanne is a Buchla user, which doesn’t surprise me from the content of the piece. And I’m a Subotnick fan, so I also like Ciani.

It’s quite the surround demo piece. Now to find some of her other work…

Back