Atmos release of Suzanne Ciani - LIVE Quadraphonic

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamranv

QQ Supporter
Hi All,

We don’t plan on making a big deal about this but Tidal and Amazon Music will have an Atmos version of LIVE Quadraphonic up on Feb 27th (2/27... get it? Like the model of the Buchla module that does the quadraphonic routing in Suzanne’s synth and the number of physical copies we released ).

I used Atmos “objects” for the 4 tracks and they’re sitting in the four corners of the room and scale up and down to the different rear speakers depending on your set up. I hope that you enjoy and looking forward to feedback on how it sounds on your systems.

Hi Everyone. Today is release day.

For those of you that have home Atmos set ups, I'd love your feedback on how it sounds.

This is quite possibly the 1st truly independent Dolby Atmos release. It seems like other releases are all major and semi-major label releases. Anyone know of any other fully indie Atmos releases?

001_Suzanne Ciani - LIVE Quadraphonic Album Cover_180322-3000x3000-60percent-atmos.jpg

For those of you that have home Atmos set ups, I'd love your feedback on how it sounds.

This is quite possibly the 1st truly independent Dolby Atmos release. It seems like other releases are all major and semi-major label releases. Anyone know of any other fully indie Atmos releases?

View attachment 63823

Any chance of a blu ray audio release in both Dolby ATMOS and 5.1 for those of us not yet ATMOS equipped?

Elsewhere in the Involve/Ciani thread Franck posted a link where Suzanne up loaded high res 4.0/5.1 FLACS of this album. This was in response to questions just like yours and the answer was no; they no intention of releasing physical media. Look for that post by Franck & if you can't find it I will share mine.

I'd also like to point out that ATMOS is backwards compatible & will still play back as 5.1, 7.1, what ever depending on your set up. I do not have ATMOS but my Yello: Point in that format plays back just fine in 5.1 on my Oppo. So maybe what I'd really suggest is support the artist & get the Tidal download.

View attachment 63823

Thanks very much, @kamranv; I look forward to hearing it. Is it available for streaming only on Tidal and Amazon, or will there will be a way to purchase it as a download (e.g., in mp4 format) as well?

To answer your question: @Kaspars Barbals has also released an Atmos mix of the latest album by the group Auli on Tidal. (There may be other indie releases, as well.)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/listening-to-now-in-dolby-atmos.28410/post-542821

Last edited:
Hi all. Here is the link that I made to download in many formats. It’s free but of course Suzanne and I very much appreciate the plays and downloads on all of the legit services. We have no plans to press more vinyl or do any other physical release of this album. Congrats on the Atmos release @Kaspars Barbals !! ...they don't make it easy, eh?
Hi, can you please post the link to Tidal? I've been searching for the album with no luck. Thanks!

Apparently it is all in one place. From what I understand, you need to use the tidal app on Apple TV 4k, for instance to make the Atmos version be delivered.
I use Apple TV 4K with the Tidal app and I swear this is the stereo version :cry:
Normally, all Atmos tracks can be distinguished by the Dolby Atmos logo that is attached to them and then, obviously, are detected and decoded by the receiver in Atmos. But in this case, there's no logo and the signal is only stereo.
Would it be possible that Tidal didn't upload the right tracks yet?

Nice. Sadly, I don't see the Atmos logo when I click but if you see it than it's all good :)
Something really strange is happening, I now have the album in my favourites and it is the right version. But when I generate the link to share, it points again to the stereo version. Below a snapshot on my phone for the Atmos one.
I'll listen to it tomorrow, as it's late in here to play it loud.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-221423.png
    Screenshot_20210227-221423.png
    253.2 KB · Views: 98
I suppose they don't quite have it all figured out. I'm 99% sure I'm listening to the binural render of the atmos mix on my airpod pros (via Tidal Hifi) but i don't get the fancy atmos logo on the page on my phone or mac. Let me know if you get it to work on your home set up. I'm curious how it sounds... it's super nice having a way to stream "full resolution" quad :)

Hi, I'd really would like someone else to check on the Tidal mix, just to discard any issues on my side. I finally gave it a try today and the 5.1 mix seems to be the same as the flac downloads, but there's nothing at all on the height speakers. I used the old fashioned check method (ear close to the speakers) and the heights only play silence. The AVR detects the Atmos signal though.
The other Atmos mixes in Tidal play fine.

Hi, I'd really would like someone else to check on the Tidal mix, just to discard any issues on my side. I finally gave it a try today and the 5.1 mix seems to be the same as the flac downloads, but there's nothing at all on the height speakers. I used the old fashioned check method (ear close to the speakers) and the heights only play silence. The AVR detects the Atmos signal though.
The other Atmos mixes in Tidal play fine.

I think the downloads that @kamranv provided in the "Discrete" folder are 4.0 and 5.1 only? I haven't listened yet, but I did notice as I was saving them that they were FLACs and WAVs, and as far as I know, Atmos files need to be in an mp4/m4a or mkv/mka container.

I think the downloads that @kamranv provided in the "Discrete" folder are 4.0 and 5.1 only? I haven't listened yet, but I did notice as I was saving them that they were FLACs and WAVs, and as far as I know, Atmos files need to be in an mp4/m4a or mkv/mka container.
Yes, I meant that the Atmos stream in Tidal plays as 5.1, same as the original downloads.

Cross-Posted in Listening Dolby Atmos thread. Sorry for duplication but I think is better here.

Suzanne Ciani Live Quadraphonic is just that: Quadraphonic.

It uses the Dolby Atmos platform in Tidal to be able to stream multichannel, as there is no Tidal offering for 5.1 music, AFAIK.

Not only the Heights are silent but also the Central and the Surrounds.

It uses only Fronts for the Front Quads and Surround Backs (in a 7.1 floor configuration) for the Quad Rears. It is nice that She use the Surround Backs instead of Surrounds for the Quad rears to get a more "Square sound config". Perhaps is intentionally or perhaps is how Atmos render the objects that are "tied" to the four room corners.

I'm now checking how it sounds better, With Atmos (only QUAD) or choosing the AVR Option DD+ with Upmixer to enable all the speakers.

Back