ATMOS speaker top speaker recommendations.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ephi82

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I have a pair of PSB XA ATMOS speakers that I have on top of my left right front tower speakers. I have an all Bowers and Wilkins 5.1 speaker set up, and I’ve been enjoying the increasing number of ATMOS music and movies.

In a never ending quest to improve my system, I’ve been thinking about adding ATMOS speakers to sit on top of the left and right surround speakers.

the question is whether anyone has suggestions for these types of speakers that might perform better than the PSB and perhaps be a better timber match for the Bowers?

I have the SVS Prime Elevations in a ceiling mount configuration and think they sound fantastic. Not sure how they'll perform in the up-firing position but SVS advertises them as working well for that use.
That said, I highly recommend against that setup if you really want decent Atmos performance and would not spend that kind of money ($249-299 each) if that's the best mounting you can offer.
https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-elevation

I have the SVS Prime Elevations in a ceiling mount configuration and think they sound fantastic. Not sure how they'll perform in the up-firing position but SVS advertises them as working well for that use.
That said, I highly recommend against that setup if you really want decent Atmos performance and would not spend that kind of money ($249-299 each) if that's the best mounting you can offer.

Ditto on the Prime Elevations. I love them, but I do have them mounted at the wall/ceiling interface.

Totally agree with the SVS Elevations... (y)
Got mine on the wall.

20220119_184559.jpg

Yep, wall mounting is easy-peasy with the supplied brackets
Just four small screw holds for each.
I made it even easier, as I screwed , thick wooden squares to the wall, for the speaker mounting brackets to be fixed to. The white blocks are polystyrene spacers to keep the speakers parallel to the wall (not provided).Then it would allow for my destroy it yourself powers... :D

The wall is provided !! :)

So, I think I’m going to install 4 x Bowers and Wilkins CCM 683 that can be flush mount in the ceiling. No one seems to recommend the speaker top strategy and it makes common sense why not. My question is whether a $1,000 per pair speaker is going to sound 100% better that a $500 pair, considering the application?

So, I think I’m going to install 4 x Bowers and Wilkins CCM 683 that can be flush mount in the ceiling. No one seems to recommend the speaker top strategy and it makes common sense why not. My question is whether a $1,000 per pair speaker is going to sound 100% better that a $500 pair, considering the application?
Good question.
To my thinking is , if $1000 ain't going to break the bank then go for those.
At least you won't always be left wondering what if... :)

I think only you can decide whether it will be a satisfactory improvement (or degradation for that matter) to justify the price increase. That said it is almost always a world of diminshing returns as the prices go up. You may in fact find that you like the cheaper pair better.

I think it makes far less of a difference in ceiling speakers than it would for mains. I am copying my post from a similar thread:

I just want to add to this discussion, if you are willing to add in-ceiling speakers but don't want to spend a mint on them, I have these:

Amazon.com

Under $50 each. I bought them with the intent of just getting Atmos up and running and then upgrading later to higher quality / better match speakers for my setup, but I like them so much I am in no hurry to upgrade.

Back