ATMOS via Foobar2000??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hey all -

How do we play our Atmos music through Foobar2000? I've tried a couple things that I've heard will work...and it doesn't. I still get the dreaded "unrecognized format" errors. I've tried MKV & MKA music formats, installed FFmpeg add on and still get errors.

Damn, 32 views...no answers. lmao.

Guess I'll have to get off my ass.........get out the disc and play it that way. Whoopee! Here I go...watch my speed.

Hey all -

How do we play our Atmos music through Foobar2000? I've tried a couple things that I've heard will work...and it doesn't. I still get the dreaded "unrecognized format" errors. I've tried MKV & MKA music formats, installed FFmpeg add on and still get errors.

I suspect that at some point, one of the tech wizards out there will figure out how we mere mortals can rip an Atmos disc to play back properly. In the meantime, I consider it "variety" to to occasionally spin a disc in a machine.

Hey all -

I just play my Atmos discs as a BD with whole menus etc. using either Kodi, VLC, or MPC-HC classic or the Vidon Player in my Android box. mkvs can house atmos tracks as well, though I don't bother creating mkvs.

Gene: I just wanted to report that I haven't succeeded in getting foobar to play Atmos yet, either--although for some reason it will recognize and play the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 core.

I just discovered, however, that VLC player will not only play Atmos mka files but also Atmos m4a (make sure you've got the HDMI "pass-through" box checked in your advanced settings).

Last edited:
I cannot get past getting windows to pass Atmos by installing the ap. All I get is
1621901489709.png

This is on a win 10 computer via HDMI to a Marantz SR-7010

I cannot get past getting windows to pass Atmos by installing the ap. All I get is
View attachment 67353
This is on a win 10 computer via HDMI to a Marantz SR-7010

Dolby Atmos via HDMI is now native to Windows 10, Mark--you shouldn't have to install Dolby Access (which is only for Dolby for Headphones). Just make sure your Marantz AVR is selected as your default output device in Sound Settings, then rightclick on the speaker icon in the lower right-hand corner of your screen to toggle between 2.0, 5.1, 7.1, and Atmos in "Speaker Setup."

Hey all -

you have to point this component foobar2000: Components Repository - FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper to your ffmpeg installation folder
and that still may not work

Dolby Atmos via HDMI is now native to Windows 10, Mark--you shouldn't have to install Dolby Access (which is only for Dolby for Headphones). Just make sure your Marantz AVR is selected as your default output device in Sound Settings, then rightclick on the speaker icon in the lower right-hand corner of your screen to toggle between 2.0, 5.1, 7.1, and Atmos in "Speaker Setup."
Well, I wish that was the case. Maybe my Win 7 upgrade to 10 is the problem and my HDMI card is not compatible.
1621903330185.png

The Atmos Access ap also does AV gear besides headphones
1621903456622.png

But no luck. No biggy as I am Jriver and that has not been Atmos able at this point. I will just use the Oppo 203 until I get Tidal and Apple atmos streams

Well, I wish that was the case. Maybe my Win 7 upgrade to 10 is the problem and my HDMI card is not compatible.
View attachment 67354
The Atmos Access ap also does AV gear besides headphones
View attachment 67355

But no luck. No biggy as I am Jriver and that has not been Atmos able at this point. I will just use the Oppo 203 until I get Tidal and Apple atmos streams

Huh. You could be right that it's down to the old HDMI card. (Didn't realize that Dolby Access also controlled Home Theater.)

You also need to configure the ffmpeg screen as per this post to tell Foobar what file types to play via ffmpeg:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/problems-playing-mka-files.29684/#post-537180
You also need to point to ffmpeg.exe (version 4.3 or later). MMH has 4.4 in its program files folder (x86)

With these settings Foobar will play .m4a and .MKA in Atmos

My experience after following these directions is that foobar will technically play m4a and MKA Atmos files--but it only sends the TrueHD core of those files to my AVR. (I.e., my Marantz doesn't see them as Atmos files, so it's not reading the metadata, and consequently there's nothing in the overheads.)

With VLC and Kodi, by contrast, the AVR reads and plays the same files in full-on Atmos.

Gene: I just wanted to report that I haven't succeeded in getting foobar to play Atmos yet, either--although for some reason it will recognize and play the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 core.

I just discovered, however, that VLC player will not only play Atmos mka files but also Atmos m4a (make sure you've got the HDMI "pass-through" box checked in your advanced settings).
Do you know if VLC can down-mix and convert the full Atmos to 5.1?

Do you know if VLC can down-mix and convert the full Atmos to 5.1?

Its not up to VLC to do that. What you probably need is a receiver which support "Dolby Virtual" this will decode the Atmos signal and apply the effect to your 5.1 speaker setup. VLC would just output the bitstream.

Its not up to VLC to do that. What you probably need is a receiver which support "Dolby Virtual" this will decode the Atmos signal and apply the effect to your 5.1 speaker setup. VLC would just output the bitstream.
I would think any receiver should be able to take the atmosphere stream and decode it to 5.1. It is backward compatible. The Atmos layer is simply added on top of the standard true HD layer, which is added on top of the lossy Dolby digital layer.

I would think any receiver should be able to take the atmosphere stream and decode it to 5.1. It is backward compatible. The Atmos layer is simply added on top of the standard true HD layer, which is added on top of the lossy Dolby digital layer.

Thats not quite correct, a non-Atmos receiver will simply ignore the Atmos metadata and play the base 5.1/7.1 track. An Atmos receiver without Dolby Virtual will require ceiling/height speakers or upfiring speakers to apply Atmos. An Atmos receiver with Dolby virtual can apply an effect from the Atmos metadata to standard 5.1/7.1 speaker configurations; it is different to most DSP modes as it is controlled by the discrete Atmos metadata. A few people have said it works well (Better than no Dolby Virtual) but obviously not as good as ceiling/height speakers.

Back