ATOM HEART MOTHER . TMQ wth?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TMOQ = Trademark of Quality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark_of_Quality

images.jpg

AHM SQ is not a so-hard-to-find title and seems all SQ are done by the same UK stamper that has been cloned everywhere. Since AHM, especially side2, is a very long album, i strongly doubt that a boot can be really clean. A bit of search and patience, and you will be rewarded.

AHM SQ is not a so-hard-to-find title and seems all SQ are done by the same UK stamper that has been cloned everywhere. Since AHM, especially side2, is a very long album, i strongly doubt that a boot can be really clean. A bit of search and patience, and you will be rewarded.

So you're saying the Aussie & NZ pressings (as an example) would be from the same stamper???

95% yes for the Aussie, NZ got DSOTM but no AHM.
Same UK stamper is used also in the japanese RM version (which is really SQ and not RM).

"The famous Pink Floyd cow album was recorded at Abbey Road Studios then released in stereo in 1970 by Harvest and EMI Records in the United Kingdom. The quad mix of Atom Heart Mother was done by Alan Parsons in 1973."

Was this actually released?

I recently met someone who says her brother worked in the the music industry years ago and says she has 'hundreds' of vinyls that were given to her. I need to investigate further...

Are you saying that the Japanese RM (QS) of D/S/Moon
is SQ ?

Exactly. I have the Jap Odeon RM, checked visually with a UK SQ and it is the same stamper. Of course the proof is in the decoding, and playing the Jap Odeon as SQ does decodes correctly, as the discrete UK quad 8; playing the Jap Odeon as RM/QS the decoding is not correct however it is nice.

I've used the Audition script, which does works pretty well.

I think that if you use the

QSD1 or Surround Master

you would find out that it is a QS encoded disc

Maybe the Audition script is a bit out

Ok. This thread has gotten confusing.

So winopener has visually identified the RM and SQ versions as coming from the same stamper, and has confirmed that it decodes properly with an SQ script, and incorrectly with a QS script. The visual inspection also suggests that he has an SQ version to compare the audio directly to and decodings to as well to confirm they both decode identically....although he hasn't said this. Winopener, could you comment on that?

And now we have rustyandi suggesting that the RM is QS, and the scripts are just innacurate. Do you have evidence to support this?

Not trying to stir anything up, but if we have contradictions in a thread that can be proven one way or another, we ought to clear it up so that those that find this thread can have accurate info. After all, the RM is quite pricy, and I'd hate to see someone throw down the bucks on it to get a QS version, only to find it's SQ and they could have gotten the same recording much cheaper.

Anyone else have copies of both that could chime in?

If there is a LP rip of the Japanese quad pressing, it would be easy to do a comparison by running the SQ scripts past both rips

Ok. This thread has gotten confusing.

So winopener has visually identified the RM and SQ versions as coming from the same stamper, and has confirmed that it decodes properly with an SQ script, and incorrectly with a QS script. The visual inspection also suggests that he has an SQ version to compare the audio directly to and decodings to as well to confirm they both decode identically....although he hasn't said this. Winopener, could you comment on that?

Let's get this straight, i did all this 7 years ago:
1) The Japanese Odeon marked RM *is* pressed fron the same UK stamper as the Harvest UK SQ. So, there is no true RM version.
2) Visually compared both Jap and UK lp. I have the Jap, i borrowed the UK from a friend. Same stampers, and IIRC Jap didn't even bother to add the EOZ n.
3) Both UK and Jap does decode identically.
4) Both UK and Jap, when decoded as SQ, have the same sonic placements as the discrete UK Q8, which i have.

Here's the tricky part:
5) Both UK and Jap, when decoded as QS, doesn'have the same sonic placements as the discrete UK Q8, however they do create a very nice surround landscape - even if it is a wrong one (for example, DSOTM SQ doesn't decode so well in QS). So i can understand well why it seems to be a true RM when it is not - even decoding it wrongly it sounds nice.

A especially revealing snippets is on "Summer 68": on the discrete UK Q8 the DG guitar pans from full front to Rear Left (going with memory... don't have a surround rig now where i'm typing). Decoding the matrixed LP as QS, that snippets show how astray is a technically wrong decoding, no matter how nice the end results can be.

Now, is someone want to buy a "pricy RM" version of AHM, i can sell mine.:)

Here's the Side A matrix photo. Can confirm there's NO eoz code anywhere in the deadwax. If Japanese would had done their cut they would had used for their catalogue the eoz number.
ahm_matrix.jpg

BTW, many years ago me and Nick Perugini checked out the situation of japanese matrixed pressing, and found out also that all ABC-related titles that had been released as QS in USA were actually pressed in Japan for the Japanese market from the same USA stamper - the only exception was a QS compilation of various artists that has no USA counterpart. So, nothing odd on having a foreign stamper for a Jap pressing.

yes but the full story that you refer too says
In Japan, Dark Side of the Moon was pressed using the "RM", or "Regular Matrix" system. This was basically the Sansui QS system without the Sansui name. ...

About DSOTM there has been always a lot of confusion but i still haven't seen a photo of the matrix for the RM version, and i don't have it.
About AHM, check out by yourself on this thread and draw your conclusion. Until someone else shows a Jap AHM with a eoz matrix number in the deadwax, i can say that there is no RM version at all, just SQ.

Furthermore, same happened at least on another Toshiba-EMI title: Riz Ortolani, Riz plays Ortolani. Pressed from the same SQ stamper as Europe, marketed in japan by toshiba-emi as RM. Probably they didn't want to pay Sony the SQ royalties...

Back