Audacity Sold

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I know...I'm just skeptical:unsure:. But if they come through with even half of what they're talking about--and it stays free (or low cost) and genuinely open source, then it's a win.

I haven’t used it in a long while, how is it with surround sound mixing?

I haven’t used it in a long while, how is it with surround sound mixing?

I think it's too bare-bones to create an accomplished mix (there are some critical DAW features missing like track inserts for plugins, auxiliary sends & returns, etc), but it's a really handy tool for making quick adjustments like raising or lowering the volume of certain channels, fixing a swapped channel, or applying EQ to a specific section of a song. It opened a lot of doors for me when I first got into ripping/editing surround discs.

I use Audacity to correct anomalies in recordings such as adjusting channel volumes and EQ. I also find It handy for editing audio tracks ripped from movies. So I don’t expect I’d need anything fancier and want to maintain the free version.

I’m still hoping one day for “miracle” AI software that can take a recording and adjust the whole thing on its own to a perfect baseline. (But then there would be complaints about the AI having the engrams of deaf mastering engineers.) DAYSTROM (Star Trek - The Ultimate Computer): “I can make it stop. I created it.” o_Oo_Oo_O

It's probably time for me to try it again. I've made a few past attempts, but wind up screaming at my computer because it's JUST different enough from Audition to fatally confuse me.
Yes Sir. Same here.
Besides other issues, when I rip vinyl I use the ADC in my Anthem processor to convert to 24/96 then SPDIF out to my Delta 1010 and SPDIF in. Audacity can not keep up in real time waveform display. It sort of does it in chunks. Irritating & AA 3 has no problem with this.

Yes Sir. Same here.
Besides other issues, when I rip vinyl I use the ADC in my Anthem processor to convert to 24/96 then SPDIF out to my Delta 1010 and SPDIF in. Audacity can not keep up in real time waveform display. It sort of does it in chunks. Irritating & AA 3 has no problem with this.

It's been a couple years since I've fooled with it, but I remember being aggravated even by simple things like selecting and processing part of the file. I can't even remember the details now, only that it didn't work the same way Audacity did. It led to much frustration and profanity.

Reaper DAW has a very kind trial system, FYI. 30 day trial with no restrictions or any alteration of the code. And then the ability to guiltily keep evaluating via nag screen. Then they have an honor system hobbyist rate of $60 for, again, the exact same unrestricted code. One of the unicorns out there right now IMHO. It's a big scary flagship DAW app I suppose but you only need to learn what you need. They support Windows too. Not Mac only. Linux as well.

I don't work for them. It's just one of the most happiness and light pieces of software I've ever used! It was a very big upgrade over Protools HD 10 years or so ago. (What used to be considered the industry flagship.)

This was my first DAW to work in and I use it everyday. I also use Adobe Audition 3.0.1 to transfer vinyl Quad + into the computer; iZotope RX 8 for some EQ targeting and Music Rebalance (quasi Stem extraction); and Reaper for Penteo VST (Up-Mixing.) Audacity does seem to have one major flaw for me and that’s recording MC files into the computer. I believe it’s how it links up with the Windows OS that’s to blame (or just Microsoft); because the folks with Apple seem to be able to do it. See our man @fredblue about that-Freddie baby!!!

But Audacity has always seemed much easier to learn, cleaner looking and faster, at least for the little stuff I do. And I’d struggle mightily if I didn’t have it to use.

Big shout out of thanks to Jonathan @sjcorne for teaching me the basics and getting me going on it. And my main man @Sonik Wiz for everything about sound, tech. and other weird bits of knowledge that I can’t seem to live without.

Last edited:
This was my first DAW to work in and I use it everyday. I also use Adobe Audition 3.0.1 to transfer vinyl Quad + into the computer; iZotope RX 8 for some EQ targeting and Music Rebalance (quasi Stem extraction); and Reaper for Penteo VST (Up-Mixing.) It does seem to have one major flaw for me and that’s recording MC files into the computer. I believe it’s how it links up with the Windows OS that’s to blame (or just Microsoft); because the folks with Apple seem to be able to do it. See our man @fredblue about that-Freddie baby!!!

But Audacity has always seemed much easier to learn, cleaner looking and faster, at least for the little stuff I do. And I’d struggle mightily if I didn’t have it to use.

Big shout out of thanks to Jonathan @sjcorne for teaching me the basics and getting me going on it. And my main man @Sonik Wiz for everything about sound, tech. and other weird bits of knowledge that I can’t seem to live without.
I also had & enjoyed using Sony Soundforge & Sony Vegas Video. Then Sony sold that & one day I got a nag screen from the new owners I needed to activate & register the software I already owned. For some $$. Screw that.

If I lost AA 3 I think my next choice to invest learning time into would be Reaper.

Yeah, I know...I'm just skeptical:unsure:.
Yep, me too. I do hope it remains a fully open source project.
I haven't really used Audacity in 11 years, since I used it to rip all my LP's.
Did a great job of that, I couldn't hear any difference between the LP and the file.
Everything was captured perfectly, including all the snap, crackle, and pops. LOL

Like others here, I use Audacity, an old version of Sound Forge, and Audition 3.0 almost indiscriminately, but I'm not a heavy user of any of them. I like Audacity's simplicity and open-source ethic, but I recognize it's better for some tasks than others, and not ideal for anything terribly complex. I'm intrigued by Jim's comments about the "hobbyist" rate for Reaper.

I just installed the latest final version from March, to have before things go south.

It would be good to know what will be the last secure version of the program, that doesn’t “phone home somewhere” with one’s info. Download that version and no more, one would suppose maybe.

Back