Audio Fidelity Hybrid Stereo (and Mono) SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone at SHF claims to have spoken to Marshall this week and was told everything is fine. But it has been quite a while since anything came out (November?) which is glacial compared the two per month they used to release.

Yep, Audio Fidelity in its heyday released some incredible music. Ironic how the Gold HDCD RBCDs still command more $$$ than the SACDs, both Stereo and multichannel. What's with THAT? Surprised that titles like Loggins & Messina Full Sail and Laura Nyro [who literally inspired scores of male/female pop singers including Elton John and Elvis Costello] failed to sell out.

And those on the fence about Let It Snow ..... a brilliant Elliot Scheiner ultra discrete 5.1 remix and not surprisingly, a LOT more than snazzy finger poppin' vocalese.

My advice, grab them ALL while they're still available ..... once they're gone ...... GOOD BYE!

Well, I just bought my first and most likely last Gold Stereo only SACD's by Audio Fidelity. After careful consideration, I bought Paul Butterfield SACD, and one I had my eye on, Blue Cheer SACD. $35 bucks shipped. Too great a deal to pass on. There was other titles I liked. Rage Against the Machine, Elvis, Rush. But had to stop somewhere. I noticed HH Thrust was gone.

You can go over to Acoustic Sounds and still find many of the AF SCDs, stereo or Mch.....the only difference is instead of being marked down, they are marked up! "The Collection", which many folks poo-pooped here, is now $100. Maybe I should have bought a dozen.

Yes, we are seeing prices go below market, only to skyrocket in "the disc stock market." We've seen this movie before too many times. So in this time frame, one might still find bargains (or not that much higher than retail). But if not, best to play the waiting game until prices come back to earth somewhat.

Well, I just bought my first and most likely last Gold Stereo only SACD's by Audio Fidelity. After careful consideration, I bought Paul Butterfield SACD, and one I had my eye on, Blue Cheer SACD. $35 bucks shipped. Too great a deal to pass on. There was other titles I liked. Rage Against the Machine, Elvis, Rush. But had to stop somewhere. I noticed HH Thrust was gone.

I was really looking forward to the Blue Cheer as it was an LP that got played to death when I was in 7th and 8th grade, I had such high expectations that it would be a SACD stereo masterpiece but sadly it just sounded the same as the CD. Probably Vincebus Eruption would be a rare recording that would only be best as an analog LP? Did you know the original LP had all raised lettering and photo, first raised lettering on a record jacket that I ever owned.

I was really looking forward to the Blue Cheer as it was an LP that got played to death when I was in 7th and 8th grade, I had such high expectations that it would be a SACD stereo masterpiece but sadly it just sounded the same as the CD. Probably Vincebus Eruption would be a rare recording that would only be best as an analog LP? Did you know the original LP had all raised lettering and photo, first raised lettering on a record jacket that I ever owned.

Thanks for the info. Yes, somewhere around 1969-71, we had a department store in the San Francisco East Bay Area that had Blue Cheer as you described. I was able to buy the record along with other Blue Cheer titles for about 33 cents each in the cut out section. So here I am 50 years later buying the same title for cheap! Crazy when you think about it.

I read the SHF section about this title all the way through. So I wasn't expecting much, and certainly I'm not into paying $30 bucks or more for only one "Stereo Only" title. $15, well okay, we'll see. I bought the CD for around the same price when it first came out and was fine with that version's sound. So, yeah, I'm not sure how good this SACD version will be. Especially if the stereo field was messed with as what I thought I read at SHF.

The record has that great grunge, dirty sound, if I remember right. A friend of mine used to see Blue Cheer all the time in the late 1960s, here in the San Francisco Area. She said they were intense, high energy. Punk rock in their own way, before there even was Punk rock. I recommend folks check out their version of the Stones classic "Satisfaction."

On a side note, I was lucky to see Blue Cheer live in the late 70s at a small club in Berkeley, California. I think the Bass player singer was the only original band member left. But it was a great show. Too bad they weren't more famous. A million zillion Rock bands came from them.

You can go over to Acoustic Sounds and still find many of the AF SCDs, stereo or Mch.....the only difference is instead of being marked down, they are marked up! "The Collection", which many folks poo-pooped here, is now $100. Maybe I should have bought a dozen.

You provide ammo for the argument that we should all be ripping our hi-res/surround collections to hard drives as it seems that replacement of the original media continues to become prohibitively expensive.. Even if one doesn't have the ability to play from the hard drive, at least one will have backups in case of disc damage or other debacle.

The Audio Fidelity Stereo SACDs of Sittin' In with Loggins and Messina and the Crusing Soundtrack are among 80 Stereo SACDs on sale at Elusive Disc.
Part of their "Digital Blowout" sale on now.

Elusive Disc Stereo Sale.jpg

https://elusivedisc.com/search?tag=...$253EDigital$253ESACD/filter:ss_stereo:Stereo

Back