AUDIO Magazine Product Directory

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

đź‘‚ 500 MPH EARS đź‘‚
QQ Supporter
I bet a few of us remember AUDIO Magazine. It was one of my favorite reads. I want to refresh your memory that once a year in October AUDIO released their annual product directory. Pre-amps, amps, TT's, receivers you name it was there. If the manufacturer responded to requests for information. As there's a lot of interest in vintage audio this is real treasure chest of specifications. That piece of quad gear yoy just bought on ebay probably didn't come with any info. Go to the Radio Archives & select any year of interest in October and see what AUDIO magazine can tell you. Haha the one & only quad reciver I ever owned, a Kenwood 9940, retail listed for $974. I traded in a bunch of misc quad, graphic EQ box, Dynaco 120 stuff & paid abot $300.

Stuff is great. Thanks for this link.

I randomly picked June 1975 and scanned the issue, and there was my first ever quad receiver, the one I built myself! Heathkit AR-2020.
A smoking 15 Watts per channel. Very cool.

Thanks for the reply. The AR-2020 seems like a pretty ambitious construction project. But somehow I feel you were doing stuff like that for a while. There is another review in Popular Electrics for the Heathkit AR-2020. The only thing along those lines I was tempted to build was the succeeding Heathkit Modulus quad receiver. It certainly looked cool & I'm sure, had I built it, the women I was dating at the time would be in awe of my tech prowess.....

Also in June '75 AUDIO mag you mentioned was a very good Audio etc column by Ed Canby. It deals with Quadraphonics and an overlooked reason why even that early it was not taking off.

Stuff is great. Thanks for this link.

I randomly picked June 1975 and scanned the issue, and there was my first ever quad receiver, the one I built myself! Heathkit AR-2020.
A smoking 15 Watts per channel. Very cool.

EGADs, Jon.......15 Watts RMS per channel ........enuf output to barely ruffle the feathers of a yellow Canary!

See the source image

Last edited:
I bet a few of us remember AUDIO Magazine. It was one of my favorite reads. I want to refresh your memory that once a year in October AUDIO released their annual product directory. Pre-amps, amps, TT's, receivers you name it was there. If the manufacturer responded to requests for information. As there's a lot of interest in vintage audio this is real treasure chest of specifications. That piece of quad gear yoy just bought on ebay probably didn't come with any info. Go to the Radio Archives & select any year of interest in October and see what AUDIO magazine can tell you. Haha the one & only quad reciver I ever owned, a Kenwood 9940, retail listed for $974. I traded in a bunch of misc quad, graphic EQ box, Dynaco 120 stuff & paid abot $300.
Thanks for sending the links to Audio Magazine. Seems to be some pretty cool stuff there.

My late best friend who helped me build my speakers, always used to buy immediately any annual equipment directory. He had a big stack of them. Pre internet database. Then when the saint louis Post-Dispatch weekend classifieds would come out he would be ready to pounce everywhere where some guy had passed away and his kids and widow were selling his stereo cameras or motorcycles for bargain prices. He was the master. I had a subscription to Audio and they would always end up at his house.

Back