Audio Technica cartridges for best CD-4 performance

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anybody here using an AT440MLa/b managed to get a stable "meep" 30kHz carrier tone with one of the automatic carrier lock model demodulators?

i've tried everything i can with both of my auto carrier lock demodulators (Marantz CD-400B and Grundig Quadro) to get the tone to "meeeeep" rather than "waahhh" with the AT440MLb, adjusting VTF, VTA, anti-skating, azimuth, to no avail.. 🤷‍♀️

however i can adjust the carrier level on a JVC 4DD-5 and get the 30kHz test tone to "meeeeep" like a bell with the AT440MLb and when i use the AT15S (and even my JVC 4MD-10x that is a complete horror-show that can't demodulate a bean noise-free in my rig) i can get that 30kHz tone meep-ing rather than waahhh-ing thru the CD-400B.

fascinating, n'est pas...!? 🤔
Fired up the old 4DD-10(with automatic carrier) today, put on my Fisher/Enoch Light CD-4 test record, carrier lock tone was stable as can be(I have AT440MLB).

Fired up the old 4DD-10(with automatic carrier) today, put on my Fisher/Enoch Light CD-4 test record, carrier lock tone was stable as can be(I have AT440MLB).

hooray! 🎉 success! 🤩

does it softly "meeeep" or does it squawkily "waaaah"?

one day i'll do a recording of how different the 30kHz tone sounds, depending on carrier adjustment level on the 4DD-5 and post it up here for reference purposesssss...

i believe the "soft meep" is what we are after?

however.. i tended to get better demodulating results with the 4DD-5 & AT440MLb combo when the 30kHz tone was squawking rather than meeping... so i dunno.. 🤷‍♀️

ah.. all this jive squawkin'! 🕺🏾💃🏾

hooray! 🎉 success! 🤩

does it softly "meeeep" or does it squawkily "waaaah"?

one day i'll do a recording of how different the 30kHz tone sounds, depending on carrier adjustment level on the 4DD-5 and post it up here for reference purposesssss...

i believe the "soft meep" is what we are after?

however.. i tended to get better demodulating results with the 4DD-5 & AT440MLb combo when the 30kHz tone was squawking rather than meeping... so i dunno.. 🤷‍♀️

ah.. all this jive squawkin'! 🕺🏾💃🏾
Sounds closer to a "waaah" to me.

Back