Audionics of Oregon Space & Image Composer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First I wouldn't of touched the separation pots at all, if they are not moved they shouldn't need lubrication. Cleaning/lubricating the other pots should be OK. If the stage balance controls do nothing maybe the jumper plug is set for external control.
Thanks for your input, unfortunately I ended up having to lube the seperation pots in both this unit and my 101a because there was sound breakage until I did it, but I took photos of the pots before moving them and the red paint also shows pretty much exactly where they were, dust I guess. For now it will sit on top of my Sony STR-7065 in bypass for only special occasions for the lightshow, until I can find someone to work on it(and the rest in my pile of junk). Where do mean by the "jumper plug" being set to external, I don't have the manual, can it be set back again easily?

Thanks for your input, unfortunately I ended up having to lube the seperation pots in both this unit and my 101a because there was sound breakage until I did it, but I took photos of the pots before moving them and the red paint also shows pretty much exactly where they were, dust I guess. For now it will sit on top of my Sony STR-7065 in bypass for only special occasions for the lightshow, until I can find someone to work on it(and the rest in my pile of junk). Where do mean by the "jumper plug" being set to external, I don't have the manual, can it be set back again easily?
With the cover off looking from the front the DIP jumper is on the right hand side, just to the right of the DES output chips. The top socket is marked EXT the bottom INT, it should be in the bottom socket. You can find the manual and complete set of circuit diagrams here. Audionics of Oregon Space & Image Composer - Info & History.

With the cover off looking from the front the DIP jumper is on the right hand side, just to the right of the DES output chips. The top socket is marked EXT the bottom INT, it should be in the bottom socket.
So, I switched the black thing to the socket for internal, now the unit is fully functional and sounding great! Thank you par4ken for your help, you basically fixed it for me!

Here is a picture of the blown coupling capacitor from my unit and another showing the unit with new poly film capacitors in place of the electrolytes. The volume pot was damaged during shipping and so was replaced, I had to run jumper wires to the terminals to make it work. I initially replaced the damaged lf-rf balance control with a dual unit 50K. I thought that it was pretty cool to be able to bend the back tabs over to make a single 25K pot, after using it a bit I realized that the pot I used was an audio taper pot rather than a linear taper one so equal balance was not in the centre position. I replaced it again and found that the other two balance pots had been damaged as well and so replaced all three. The replacements were Alps as well but had a multi-point slotted end shaft that was a bit longer than the originals. The treaded portion was shorter as well but the nut still fit on but just barely. Because I was missing a knob off my other unit I had ordered a new set of small knobs off eBay, I swapped those to this unit; they are longer than the originals and so fit nicely over the longer shaft of the new stage balance pots.

Attachments

• 100_0819.JPG
    100_0819.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 100_0821.JPG
    100_0821.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 193
Wow, I wouldn't have been able to do all that, these units are worth the effort though, in my opinion. Luckily, I dont think there was really anything wrong with the one I got other than dust and the remote setting, definitely still want to have caps replaced. It actually sounds cleaner than my silver 101a which has still doesn't quite right, it probably need recapping also, both units will be used very sparingly for now, will be getting Involve boards soon.

Back