Quantcast

Audionics Space & Image Composer / Tate Audio

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

par4ken

800 Club - QQ All-Star
I'm not sure which version it is, C or D most likely don't actually see any letters, it says 1978. It is two boards, they have to be separated in order to see the chips, I think E/F version has Sanyo chips(which were supposed to be better for Dolby decoding), the CP55/65 150 card could be upgraded from C/D to E/F. I'd like to try again with a CP65 just to see if it has the Exar set, if I can convince another seller to pull the 150 card out.
Seems like it often costs as much to have records shipped to USA from Canada as it does from Europe, you'd think being on the same continent would keep rates low.
I would suspect it would be more like an A or B, look carefully on the card for any markings. A few CP65's for sale but I wouldn't want to spend $200 or $300 for something that would just be added to my junk pile! It's exciting to know that this source of DES chips exists!

furui_suterioo

I would suspect it would be more like an A or B, look carefully on the card for any markings. A few CP65's for sale but I wouldn't want to spend $200 or $300 for something that would just be added to my junk pile! It's exciting to know that this source of DES chips exists!
Yes, reading now that C and D apparently have LEDs, most sellers probably won't want to sell just the one card but you never know.

surround.sound.enthusiast

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I acquired a composer and two Tate’s a few years back and they appear to be operational but the audionic no longer has the display part in order.

I’d love to know how to operate these things properly!
I provided a copy of the Fosgate Tate owner's manual to OldQuadGuy, and he's since uploaded it to his website: Quadraphonic.info ™ Manuals
And two versions of the owner's manual for the Audionics S&IC can be found at: Audionics of Oregon Space & Image Composer - Info & History

If you haven't calibrated any of the three units per their owner's manuals, definitely do so and get better results out of them. As far as the LED display not lighting up... can't offer any help there. I know just enough about electronics to cause damage! Recently, member par4ken bought a S&IC with a non-functioning LED and found it was due to a capacitor failure. See this thread, post #23 on page 2:

S&IC LED help?

Akaiquadster2

I provided a copy of the Fosgate Tate owner's manual to OldQuadGuy, and he's since uploaded it to his website: Quadraphonic.info ™ Manuals
And two versions of the owner's manual for the Audionics S&IC can be found at: Audionics of Oregon Space & Image Composer - Info & History

If you haven't calibrated any of the three units per their owner's manuals, definitely do so and get better results out of them. As far as the LED display not lighting up... can't offer any help there. I know just enough about electronics to cause damage! Recently, member par4ken bought a S&IC with a non-functioning LED and found it was due to a capacitor failure. See this thread, post #23 on page 2:

S&IC LED help?
Many thanks for the information. The S&IC came with the original box and instructions but I’m not terribly good at reading and understanding technical aspects of tech as I’m from the plug and play school of dummies.

Sonik Wiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Wish there was a schematic for the Tate. That seems to be missing.
As well as one for the Sansui D1000
Please see post#28 for the Sansui schematic:

Sonik Wiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Thanks Sonik missed that.
My pleasure. I sent the link & an e mail to Old Quad Guy for archiving but it never was posted.

The more you study that schematic the more you realize how different it was from just an QSD-2 upgrade. Any switching for Synthesize or Hall was done by biasing on an FET. Much of it was run off of 15V bipolar supplies so the offset would be very low & many of the couplind caps (which were non-polarized electros) could just be removed & jumped. There are 2 mysterious circuit blocks marked as "protection" but I've never sussed what that really means. And most important, I think, I'm pretty sure, they used a much more advanced adaptive attack/release on the FET IC. What was that... the 3103?

The original schematic was folded 8.5" x 15" so was to big too simply copy. And no scanners for me way back then! But I worked in photography so I had access to what's called a flat bed horizontal copy camera. I copied it to 4x5 Kodalith & blew it up on two 11x14 photo print paper & spliced together. That's what I used to scan & upload. I have no idea where the original is... I could do better today.

Last edited:

furui_suterioo

I see another card for sale, it just says Dolby 150 (no suffix) 1977. Likely similar to yours, but they want over $300!
This website apparently sells CP55 units for $135, of course that still a lot of money and you probably dont want the entire unit, but I do see what looks to be a 150D card in one of the photos, maybe if you bothered them enough they might make a deal on just the card.

furui_suterioo

My Composer had this piece of brown tape over the blue DIP display connector which basically blew away in the wind when I opened the cover, I still have it not sure what it was for(shielding maybe?) I dont see it in other photos of Composer internals:
20201029_190355.jpg

par4ken

800 Club - QQ All-Star
This website apparently sells CP55 units for $135, of course that still a lot of money and you probably dont want the entire unit, but I do see what looks to be a 150D card in one of the photos, maybe if you bothered them enough they might make a deal on just the card.
Yes but does the D card have the Tate chips?

furui_suterioo

Yes but does the D card have the Tate chips?
From what I've read, they didn't switch to Sanyo until E, so I would assume so
Well I gave in to my curiosity, found a 150D card from another CP55 parts unit and the answer is...... NO:
20201112_125703.jpg

20201112_130009.jpg

I had read online that the "D" was still using Tate chips but I dont see any here, which would mean that the Exar chips might be on "B" or "C" card(which are much harder to find than the "A" and "D" cards, unfortunately). I do see Motorola, Texas, National, Philips ICs, I keep reading about Dolby switching from Tate to Sanyo ICs in the cat. 150 card but I don't see Sanyo chip, anyone know which chips are actually doing the Dolby decoding?