Auro 3D Upmix - Anyone using?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I’m having my new media room wired for my 7.1 system tomorrow and wondering whether to get ceiling speakers pre-wired for Atmos, DTS:X etc.

My main use is (of course) surround music (audio only and concert videos) and the occasional movie.

I have a lot of stereo music and interested to get feedback on Auro 3D unmixed to surround. Anyone here have experience? Is it any better than DTS:NeuralX which I use now. I have a Denon AVR-X7200WA that supports Auro with a USD199 upgrade.

Should I go ahead and add ceilings and pull the trigger on the Auro 3D upgrade?

Yes. I use Auro-3D almost exclusively. Auro and Auromatic relies on Height speakers that are positioned roughly above your main and surround speakers. Having ceiling speakers may not be good but Dolby Atmos seems to work well for me with the height speaker configuration.

To answer your question regarding upmixing, I like Auro-3D better because it is true to the original stereo signal but yet expands it to add a wider 3 dimensional effect rather than a gimmicky reverb effect such as you get with Dolby Surround and DTS upmixers. Auromatic really expands the sound field greatly and you can control its effect.

I went 7.1.4. I use Atmos, the Auro-3D native and upmixer, and Dolby Surround depending on what mood I am in (and obviously the native surround format of the disc). Dolby Surround does maximize immersion by using all speakers, but on certain songs, reverb, etc sound pretty awful. The Auro-3D upmixer tends to hold on to a soundstage given that it essentially takes its 5.1 mix and sends (as I understand it) essentially the same signal to the heights immediately above each floor speaker as those floor speakers get. In that sense then, on average, the Auro upmixer tends to sound more "musical."

I went 7.1.4. I use Atmos, the Auro-3D native and upmixer, and Dolby Surround depending on what mood I am in (and obviously the native surround format of the disc). Dolby Surround does maximize immersion by using all speakers, but on certain songs, reverb, etc sound pretty awful. The Auro-3D upmixer tends to hold on to a soundstage given that it essentially takes its 5.1 mix and sends (as I understand it) essentially the same signal to the heights immediately above each floor speaker as those floor speakers get. In that sense then, on average, the Auro upmixer tends to sound more "musical."

Yes, but in no way does it sound like all stereo. It still has the illusion of a frontal soundstage.

Hi all, just joined as I just discovered the site. I've been a quad guy since the first tate units came out and continued with better and better hardware/software, but for what it's worth, nothing beats Auro-3d in my opinion, and especially for music, especially 2 channel sources. I've got a Denon X-4400 with 9.2 auro set up. It's quite a bit better than atmos, which I previously had. If folks do the research, I've not found any reviewer who didn't come to the same conclusion. I've been disappointed with DTS NeuralX and other upmixing for stereo in the past, but with auro, the up-mixing is great and it doesn't alter the original source artificially- it gives you full frequency response from 20hz-20khz, and honestly, I don't care that there isn't much original auro material. What it can do with dolby or DTS material is excellent. With up-mixed sources, it sounds like "you are there" with proper soundstaging- it seems to just add natural ambiance. My current dilemma is that I'd like to add the voice of god, but it means I'd lose the 2nd sub output, and the benefit of audyssey eq and delay for the 2nd sub. The voice of god is really just for movies to get overhead panning, but the biggest benefit of the 2nd sub is also with video. I can't justify $3k more for the next level AVR with more channels. Anyway, just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Wow. I feel so out of touch....another tech I'm not familiar with.
So I'm guessing that one's receiver must have Auro as part of it's repertoire, just like DTS:X & Atmos.
Would this be something that could be installed with a firmware upgrade? No coin for a new receiver but if Onkyo could upgrade mine I'd love to try it.

[QUOTE="HomerJAU, post: 384629, member: ]pull the trigger on the Auro 3D upgrade?[/QUOTE]
I paid $200 to add Auro to my Marantz receiver and enjoy using it to up mix. I Cannot recomend it due to limited content produced in the format. i use it too upmix tv programs the family watches. I want the voice of God speaker fo Auro but hard to justify in my case. If you can do the 4 ceiling speakers for atmos.. Do It. Then adding the center one for Auro will not add a lot to the total bill.

I'm pretty unimpressed, in general, by Auro upmixing, but I'm curious to know about your configuration parameters. What are the values you have setup?
I currently have it configured at 16 and large.

Last edited:
On my first two surround receivers (Sony & Pioneer) I always used pro logic for stereo music. Then I got a 7 channel Yamaha receiver and fell in love with its "7 Channel Stereo" dsp - now I have a 7.1.4 Yamaha and use the "11 Channel Stereo" dsp - and it's excellent.

With the Neural:X and Dolby upmixer on stereo music - I think the sound lack some focus and dynamics/punch - where the 11 Channel Stereo option increase punch and focus.

Anybody install a voice of god speaker for Auro?

Since I have been cutting a bunch of holes in the basement ceiling, I decided that I might as well do one more for the VOG channel. Besides, I have the appropriate speaker. I suppose I will eventually hook it up, but it would be nice to have a small mono amp with a 12v trigger to power the VOG speaker.
VOG.jpg

Since I have been cutting a bunch of holes in the basement ceiling, I decided that I might as well do one more for the VOG channel. Besides, I have the appropriate speaker. I suppose I will eventually hook it up, but it would be nice to have a small mono amp with a 12v trigger to power the VOG speaker.View attachment 70613
That looks like a neat model railway as well!

Since I have been cutting a bunch of holes in the basement ceiling, I decided that I might as well do one more for the VOG channel. Besides, I have the appropriate speaker. I suppose I will eventually hook it up, but it would be nice to have a small mono amp with a 12v trigger to power the VOG speaker.View attachment 70613
There is a small family run company in the next village along the coast which makes railway models etc. (not cheap!!) PecoModels and PecoPublications – PECO (peco-uk.com)

Back