AV receivers that will play dsd

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshBuchanan

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I was hoping to buy the Marantz Slimline nr1711 av receiver for my mancave. However, when reading the specifications it appears not to support dsd playback. Does that mean it won't be able to read my multichannel sacds?
I have also looked at other av receivers but very few of them mention in their spec whether or not they support dsd. They include the denon avr1600h and yamaha rxv4a. Does anyone own these and/or know whether they play multichannel sacds?

I was hoping to buy the Marantz Slimline nr1711 av receiver for my mancave. However, when reading the specifications it appears not to support dsd playback. Does that mean it won't be able to read my multichannel sacds?
First, it is the player, not the AVR, that reads the disc. Second, if the nr1711 doesn't handle DSD, you can have the player send it as multichannel PCM.

Pretty much all players can/will output a PCM audio stream that any AVR with HDMI can play, so you should be fine regardless of whether it can process DSD natively.

I have also looked at other av receivers but very few of them mention in their spec whether or not they support dsd. They include the denon avr1600h and yamaha rxv4a. Does anyone own these and/or know whether they play multichannel sacds?
The short answer is yes. You can play DSD files as previously mentioned but only two-channel. It does not support multi-channel with DSD files.

There is no problem playing two-channel or Multi-channel SACD’s from a player via HDMI.

My Sony Adh 790 plays DSD in multi channel. I love seeing the DSD light in the AVR. I have an oppo that plays the SACD and a very inexpensive Sony blu-ray that plays dsf files that I rip from the disc or a few downloads I happen to have. It's amazing the discs are more expensive than the tech.

Back