Quad LP/Tape Poll Average White Band: Average White Band [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "AWB"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
One of the pleasant surprises of 1974(and not just for it being issued in Quad as well as stereo)...play that funky music, white boys, indeed! :banana:

Side 1:

1. You Got It
2. Got The Love
3. Pick Up The Pieces [Lp version]
4. Person To Person
5. Work To Do

Side 2:

1. Nothing You Can Do
2. Just Wanna Love You Tonight
3. Keepin' It To Myself
4. I Just Can't Give You Up
5. There's Always Someone Waiting

ED :)

This is one of my favorite records, ever.

It was the first quad title I purchased. Got lucky and picked up a copy of it for about $3 in pristine condition.

Now I just need a CD-4 decoder to hear the rear channels!

Even when played back in Stereo, it is quite different then the Stereo mix.

I asked about the quad version of this album on AWB's website, but have yet to hear anything about it from the band them selves.

The back of the album says it was "Remixed for Quadradisc by Gene Paul". I find it interesting that Arif Mardin (who produced all the AWB albums through "Warmer Communications") didn't have anything to do with it, apparently.

Last edited:
I always liked this album and the lesser know 'Cut the Cake'. But this one is better, and in a fine display of CD-4!
I recall many people just trashing these guys when they were around. I never understood it. Its fun, funk dance music, sorta like what I was hearing in dance clubs with Ohio Players and such. Why these guys didn't get any respect always confused me. Because they are white? A fun mix, and fun music of a certain time. Worth having!
Marc

The Average White Band is still out and about, believe it or not.

They just released a new album in 2003 "Living In Colour," and it's great.

The thing I really like about these guys is that they haven't changed their sound a bit.

AWB made some really complex pieces of work in some of their later albums, like "Warmer Communications" and "Soul Searching".

They still tour across the US (and in the UK,) and if they happen to be playing in your area, I highly recommend checking the show out. I've seen them 3 times now. It's been lots of fun each time.

This is one of the rare CD-4's that I am able to play beginning to end without losing the carrier signal, so I can sit back and enjoy the mix. From the first time I gave it a spin I noticed how nice it sounded. If you are into CD-4, I do recommend searching for this goodie.

Doesn't Tab know how to transfer CD-4 onto CD? I see quite a few including AWB where he uses CD-4 as the source.

A "9".

I'm always surprised there's not more discussion about this album in Quad!

I'm listening to the mix from a CD-4 right now and even though I've heard all of these tunes hundreds of times over the years this is still an excellent surround mix of a lovely album that injects new life into the music.

This is an obvious candidate for a future Rhino Quadio release, imho and if this quad mix were to be announced for release on a modern format tomorrow I bet the pre-orders would go through the roof!

This is an obvious candidate for a future Rhino Quadio release, imho and if this quad mix were to be announced for release on a modern format tomorrow I bet the pre-orders would go through the roof!

Absolutely would have made a great Rhino Quadio release to not only showcase Quadraphonic/Multi-Channel and why it's a great format, but that it cannot be denied because of the quality of the Music/Mix. It's that good because all of the elements come together nicely throughout.

Also gives us a huge tantalizing hint as to what would have been perfect for both the Quadraphonic and Disco 1970's era had they kept mixing titles like these into MC.

If you want to know what the future could be in mixing dance music into the 21st century, this is a must listen.

Upgraded from a "9" to a "10".

Demo-worthy surround, one of WEA's best Quads, some funky tunes and really great for setting up a CD-4 system! its a crime this hasn't been reissued on a modern-day format.
One of my favourite albums from 1974 and that was when I was more likely to listen to Deep Purple, Rory Gallagher, Can, Gentle Giant, Supertramp etc. There is just something absolutely brilliant about this album (I've bought it on many formats so have a few copies!), a British funk-rock band with soul. If only DV could release this Quad!

Agreed, great music and great quad mix. And a superb example of how CD-4 can sound if done properly. I wonder if this was cut differently to other CD-4s?

Firstly apologies, I downloaded it ! But as I own both CD and 2 vinyls ( plus many other AWB releases) I donā€™t feel a badass.
What a wonderful example of surround sound !!! Its reference definitely . Music no words , discrete, atmospheric and immersive all at the same time , what a mix!
Now if only I could use my cancelled $99 for Plastic Ono band and get AWB on Blu-ray instead.
Itā€™s a 10 , 10 , 10 , 10 !!! Did I say it was a 10.

Agreed, this is a fabulous mix, just begging for a modern reissue.

Interesting note is that the quad mix was done by Les Paul's son, Gene Paul, a great engineer in his own right, also responsible for a few other quad mixes including a couple of MJQ albums and Aretha's Fillmore West album.

Back