Axiim Q UHD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopTip

Does anyone else have one of these? It is an AV preamp + WISA wireless transmitter. I have been using one for a few months. It is a bit buggy and speakers drop out frequently, but when it works, it is a device that packs quite a lot. Its only connections are over HDMI.

Recently I tried it with surround music. After a bunch of tries with different DVD players, I was able to get it to play Dolby Digital, DVD-Audio and several DTS schemes, but not DTS 44.1kHz. In the end, I suspect, that particular DTS protocol is not part of its hardware or coding. Which is too bad because most of my quad / surround recordings are in that format and all my previous AV amps were able to play those.

Also, I guess I do not quite get HDMI. For instance how does DVD-Audio get transmitted over such cables to the amp? Uncompressed or not? Axiim customer support told me to keep DVD player output “coded.”

If you could find a DVD player with a DTS decoder you'd then be able to play DTS 44/16.

Does anyone else have one of these? It is an AV preamp + WISA wireless transmitter. I have been using one for a few months. It is a bit buggy and speakers drop out frequently, but when it works, it is a device that packs quite a lot. Its only connections are over HDMI.

Recently I tried it with surround music. After a bunch of tries with different DVD players, I was able to get it to play Dolby Digital, DVD-Audio and several DTS schemes, but not DTS 44.1kHz. In the end, I suspect, that particular DTS protocol is not part of its hardware or coding. Which is too bad because most of my quad / surround recordings are in that format and all my previous AV amps were able to play those.

Also, I guess I do not quite get HDMI. For instance how does DVD-Audio get transmitted over such cables to the amp? Uncompressed or not? Axiim customer support told me to keep DVD player output “coded.”
Intriguing device! DVD-Audio will appear as PCM on HDMI, so I wonder why Axiim say stay 'coded' as

1588342514119.png

WISA Association

If you could find a DVD player with a DTS decoder you'd then be able to play DTS 44/16.
So I should first decode the DTS in the player then transfer it to the Axiim in some uncompressed format over HDMI? I wonder what DVD player does that? With the three I tried I got either a stereo mixdown or hiss.

If you hook up a DVD/Blu-Ray DTS capable player to the Axiim using HDMI, you should hear the music as the DTS was decoded by the DVD/Blu-Ray DTS capable player.

If you hook up a DVD/Blu-Ray DTS capable player to the Axiim using HDMI, you should hear the music as the DTS was decoded by the DVD/Blu-Ray DTS capable player.
Thank you. Any particular models you may suggest?

Owner’s manuals have become so rudimentary of late that it is very difficult to figure out what any one machine does, how it then sends it over the HDMI (Of course they also have to cover much more, between formats, Bluetooth, etc.).

Thank you. Any particular models you may suggest?

Owner’s manuals have become so rudimentary of late that it is very difficult to figure out what any one machine does, how it then sends it over the HDMI (Of course they also have to cover much more, between formats, Bluetooth, etc.).

I think as long as you see a DTS logo on the machine or mentioned in the specs of the player, you would be OK. I have never tried hooking up a player to the device you have so I have no experience about doing so. I wish I could offer more help, but I've chosen equipment that allows me to use analog outputs/inputs to simplify things as much as possible.

Back