Dual Disc Ayreon - Actual Fantasy Revisited CD & DVD 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIDIQ

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Hi guys, I just found out about this CD & DVD 5.1 set. I have never heard of this CD before, but when i found out there was a 5.1 surround mix on the DVD I looked into what kind of music this might be. The music is listed most places as Heavy metal/Prog. rock. And that would be a fairly close description. I would say it sounds like Heavy metal meets Rick Wakeman with some Pink Floyd influences thrown in for good measure.

Anyway, I bought a copy and WOW, I must say i REALLY liked it. The surround mix is fantastic, and the music is great. Anyway, just thought i would mention it in case anyone else might be interested in giving something different a try. :banana: :sun :banana:

By the way. I didn't know for sure what section to put this under, so if it is in the wrong place, feel free to move it. THANKS. :)

I'm with MIDIQ on this one (y) .....The music and surround mix on the DVD in this 2 disc set is very cool!(I believe it's just DD but still sounds very good!).
PS: All of Ayreon's CD's are very good. The complete catlg has been recently remastered and re-released with new packaging and extras.....(Some bonus tracks/videos are in 5.1 surround)
TimW

Another plug from me..

I own most of their albums and to hear the album in 5.1 is a treat..it's another example for me where hearing an album in multichannel, makes it a totally new experience..

The mc mix is excellant - nice and active!

For those that don't know the band - they are a prog rock band based in the Netherlands..style wise they are symphonic with a lean towards metal..

If your a prog fan, it's worth a try..you'll like em..

Ayreon is more a project than a band, similar to what the Alan Parsons Project was.
Arjan Lucassen is the mastermind, producer, writer, plays guitars and synths. But the advantage of a project is that many different singers and musicians from other bands can do parts (in the studio). Arjan has many good connections in that area, especially in the British, Dutch and German "Rock/Metal/Gothic scene".

Progressiveworld.net has a (very postive) review. It might be strange to some to do reworkings of your own, almost 10 year old works (makes me think of Steve Wilson, Porcupine Tree) but if that means 5.1 :banana: who would complain?

I got this some weeks ago and have to say it is great. Music is very much to my taste (lots of synthesizers...) and the surround mix is really good (dolby 5.1 though). Played loud it's really fun to listen.

Wow - I like Ayreon...didn't know about this one... ordered. Pity its only Dullby.

I am interested in this title as well and not sure how I missed it.
Is there only one version of the cd\dvd which also includes the DD 5.1?
Reason why I ask is descriptions are so sketchy at some of the sites.
Here is one for sale that says came out June 1,2012,is it the right one as it doesn't mention about the dd 5.1?
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0006HIV5S/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3FNTWW94CKRES

This one looks right to me...

http://www.amazon.com/Actual-Fantas...&keywords=ayreon+Actual+Fantasy+Revisited+dvd

Yeah - but it explicity says DVD in the title...
I'm not seeing the problem. Both are CD/DVD-V packages and are the EXACT SAME. The only difference is that the newer one was released by Century Media Records after they became the distributor for InsideOut Music after SPV went bankrupt. The description about the label who released this on Amazon.ca is incorrect.

I'm not seeing the problem. Both are CD/DVD-V packages and are the EXACT SAME. The only difference is that the newer one was released by Century Media Records after they became the distributor for InsideOut Music after SPV went bankrupt. The description about the label who released this on Amazon.ca is incorrect.

Thanks for the replies. I am not to worried of wrong description as that happens at Amazon quite a bit. More concerned if this new release date was a different version of Dvd and if they maybe dropped the 5.1 mix but after doing some more searches can't find anything pointing to a 3rd release of this album so it should hopefully have the 5.1 mix on it as people here listed already from 2004/5.

Thanks for the replies. I am not to worried of wrong description as that happens at Amazon quite a bit. More concerned if this new release date was a different version of Dvd and if they maybe dropped the 5.1 mix but after doing some more searches can't find anything pointing to a 3rd release of this album so it should hopefully have the 5.1 mix on it as people here listed already from 2004/5.

There has not been a 3rd release of Ayreon "Actual Fantasy Revisited," only two and I have the second one. It will have the 5.1 mix. I know Arjen so you don't need to worry dude.

Well received the cd\dvd a couple of days ago and the music is right up my alley, very well done and the 5.1 mix is very well done as well, to bad its only DD.
As others have said it's proggy and after listening to this I ordered another one of his cd's right away.

p.s.
I learned my lesson as to to why you dedicate time to listening to surround titles and not try doing a bunch of things around the house while listening at the same time. First time was no problem as it was just me no distractions and just soaking in the music in the man cave(basement with surround setup). Second time I put the disk on upstairs surround setup and my wife gave me a couple of box's of stuff to sort through and junk whatever I didn't need. In the process of listening and having a food break I forgot that I taken the disk out and put it near the pile of junk. Next day I was looking for the disk and couldn't find it so finally I went through the garbage and there it was with some added sticky stuff on the disk layer. Fantasy Revisted in deed..........

I just wanted to mention that this a fantastic surround mix and the fidelity is top notch... I would never know it's Dolby Digital if it wasn't for the printing on the label! Sounds AMAZING! Great progressive rock music. GREAT!!!!

If you're like I once was, thinking "Ayreon, what's that? Never heard of them, maybe I'll check them out someday", well TODAY needs to be the day! You're missing out if you don't have any Ayreon surround in your collection. I would bet that I'll like this mix better than most of the mixes in the big box sets coming out. The guy who's mixing these Ayreon albums understands surround sound.
:51QQ

I just wanted to mention that this a fantastic surround mix and the fidelity is top notch... I would never know it's Dolby Digital if it wasn't for the printing on the label! Sounds AMAZING! Great progressive rock music. GREAT!!!!

If you're like I once was, thinking "Ayreon, what's that? Never heard of them, maybe I'll check them out someday", well TODAY needs to be the day! You're missing out if you don't have any Ayreon surround in your collection. I would bet that I'll like this mix better than most of the mixes in the big box sets coming out. The guy who's mixing these Ayreon albums understands surround sound.
:51QQ

Sean, so true, Aryeon albums sound great and mixing is top notch as main songwriter Arjen L. really knows his stuff around the studio besides being a fantastic musician who write's,play's many instruments,mixes,produces these epic albums.

The link was still good almost 10 years later. I should be receiving my copy with in the next seven days. The set al also still available from Arjenn's site for a pretty reasonable price (€10). I would have ordered it there if not for the warning about delays in customer for small packages from the EU.

https://www.mascotlabelgroup.com/collections/ayreon/products/ayreon-actual-fantasy-revisited-cd-dvd

Back