DVD/DTS Poll Ayreon - Actual Fantasy Revisited [DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Ayreon - ACTUAL FANTASY REVISITED

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this release in Dolby 5.1 on DVD.(n)(y)

Attachments

• Areyon.jpg
    Areyon.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 653
I've got a few albums of Ayreon, but I didn't know about this one until recent comments here @ QQ...

The 5.1 is only in Dolby Digital, but that aside, this is a good recording and 5.1 mix.

The music may not be to everyone's taste, but if you are fan of "Progressive Metal space themed albums" then this is right up your alley. :eek:

I like "The Matrix" visuals in the "Computer Eyes" track....

Please note that there appear to be PAL & NTSC versions of this, so you North Americans (who can't handle PAL) be careful to get the right one...

This is one of my favorite surround discs. The mix is perfect, and i love the music. I have bought his other discs (in stereo of course), and i haven't liked any of them as much as i like this one. I gave it a 10.

I had to re-listen before voting, it was some time ago since I did.
The surround mix is very nice. The music sounds (now in 2012) a bit dated to me. As an attempt to describe it: metal guitars with more poppy keyboards (lots of analog synth sounds) and bombastic vocal parts.
Too bad there is no DTS, I E-mailed Arjan about that, he thought something along the lines of: it would be hardly possible to get a DTS encoder outside the movie business. I this case the disc space for the surround version is mainly used for visuals (not bad, a nice way to present the lyrics, I'd rather have the focus on better sound).

I gave the mix a 10, -1 for no DTS, 7+ for the music makes 8.

See what was said about this release some years ago here (click)

Finally got this one, only dolby 5.1 but still sounds pretty good to me. Full sound with lots of stuff in all of the speakers. Comes with onscreen lyrics and graphics à la the "Power and the Glory" albeit with lower rez in the audio and video department, but still nice. Shame that some of his other albums didn't get the 5.1 treatment have several Ayreon cd's that would have lent themselves to 5.1 even better. I give it a 9 hi-rez picture and sound would make it a 10 for me.

Great album and mix indeed, still waiting for Into the Electric Castle getting the 5.1 treatment but I guess this will not happen :(, gave this a 9 too.
One can hope :)

He is like Stephen King - he uses bits/referenses between his albums - Fate of a Dreamer can be heard sung on the album, cool stuff!

This album just blows me away. The music is progressive rock with metal and electronic elements, but overall has the feel of Pink Floyd or Dream Theater. The fidelity is perfect... I hate that I feel like I have to qualify that statement with an "even though it's Dolby", because if Dolby can sound this good, maybe we don't need to talk about it's faults so much! In terms of mix, this is a completely immersive, discrete mix with great separation of lead and background vocals, heavy use of the surrounds for all kinds of elements including solos, and lots of movement around the room. It's a demo disc for low lights and smoky rooms. 10.

This album just blows me away. The music is progressive rock with metal and electronic elements, but overall has the feel of Pink Floyd or Dream Theater. The fidelity is perfect... I hate that I feel like I have to qualify that statement with an "even though it's Dolby", because if Dolby can sound this good, maybe we don't need to talk about it's faults so much! In terms of mix, this is a completely immersive, discrete mix with great separation of lead and background vocals, heavy use of the surrounds for all kinds of elements including solos, and lots of movement around the room. It's a demo disc for low lights and smoky rooms. 10.

Cheers for your review ..just ordered from Amazon UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Actual-Fan...-1&keywords=Ayreon+-+Actual+Fantasy+Revisited

I voted 9. The music and the mix is a solid 10 but Dolby Digital just takes the punch out of the fidelity/sonics. Ayreon, haven’t heard anything yet I didn’t like. The video on the DVD explains quite well this 2004 remake of the original 1996.

I also went for a 9 - great surround mix and the music is great - well worth picking up

I agree. Even though we like to fret about it not being lossless etc. ( self included ) it is unlikely the difference would be significant or ( or dare I say even audible)

My vote is also 10 on this!

Back