Quad LP/Tape Poll Bacharach, Burt: Reach Out [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Reach Out"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Burt's first A&M album, from 1967. Issued in Q8 only, 8Q-54130.

Program 1:

Reach Out for Me
Alfie
Lisa
Are You There (With Another Girl)
What the World Needs Now is Love

Program 2:

The Look of Love
A House is Not a Home
I Say a Little Prayer
The Windows of the World
Bond Street
Message to Michael

Relative to the original Lp, "Lisa" and "Bond Street" have changed sides.

Burt Reach Out Q8A.jpg

ED :)

Same question here as for the Make It Easy on Yourself Q8: Worth it for the Quad mix or not?

I am a HUGE fan of Bacharach's early albums for A&M Records and purchased his first 'Burt Bacharach,' 'Reach Out' and 'Make It Easy On Yourself from Japan (in Mini LP sleeves). All sound pretty fantastic (better than the domestic RBCDs) but would love to hear those early albums in QUAD.

Am also a fan of Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 and likewise purchased their early A&M RBCDs from Japan, as well, all in Mini LP Sleeves. The sonics also exceed their US counterparts.

BTW, checked the status of Burt Bacharach's Japanese Mini LP [RBCD] releases TODAY @ CDJapan and sadly, they're NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

I am a HUGE fan of Bacharach's early albums for A&M Records and purchased his first 'Burt Bacharach,' 'Reach Out' and 'Make It Easy On Yourself from Japan (in Mini LP sleeves). All sound pretty fantastic (better than the domestic RBCDs) but would love to hear those early albums in QUAD.

Am also a fan of Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 and likewise purchased their early A&M RBCDs from Japan, as well, all in Mini LP Sleeves. The sonics also exceed their US counterparts.

BTW, checked the status of Burt Bacharach's Japanese Mini LP [RBCD] releases TODAY @ CDJapan and sadly, they're NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

According to the Surround Sound Discography, four of Burt's early A&M releases are available in Q8: Greatest Hits, Live in Japan*, Reach Out and Make It Easy on Yourself.

*[also available as a QR [Open Reel] with an obi strip].

According to the Surround Sound Discography, four of Burt's early A&M releases are available in Q8: Greatest Hits, Live in Japan*, Reach Out and Make It Easy on Yourself.

*[also available as a QR [Open Reel] with an obi strip].

Never seen Live in Japan on Q8, maybe japanese only? USA got only the other three.

How's the mix on this one?

I am fixing up my system at the moment
and the R/R tape is out
I hope to have it working in a week or so
Also there is a QS lp of Burt Bacharach Live
I have seen it on E/Bay

Live in Japan was only issued on LP & reel as far as I am aware

I stand corrected. You are correct [QS/QR only]

Seems rather absurd that NONE of Burt Bacharach's albums, whether stereo or QUAD ever made it to hi res physical disc. His collaborations with Dionne Warwick are timeless and similarly have never seen a hi res physical disc release.

Addenda: Oops, maybe I spoke too soon: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...harach-Painted_From_Memory-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

I stand corrected. You are correct [QS/QR only]

Seems rather absurd that NONE of Burt Bacharach's albums, whether stereo or QUAD ever made it to hi res physical disc. His collaborations with Dionne Warwick are timeless and similarly have never seen a hi res physical disc release.

Addenda: Oops, maybe I spoke too soon: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...harach-Painted_From_Memory-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

Before ordering this SACD, do yourself a favour and find a copy of the original CD. Listen to it and then ask yourself how much better can the new remaster sound. This is one album that was mastered right the first time around. I'm not saying it won't sound better. but if you're looking for a "bang for the buck" alternative, the original CD is the way to go. Don't let yourself be fooled that because it's 44/16 that it can't sound great. It does.

With all its many rich layers, this is an album that would have sounded amazing in Multichannel.

Before ordering this SACD, do yourself a favour and find a copy of the original CD. Listen to it and then ask yourself how much better can the new remaster sound. This is one album that was mastered right the first time around. I'm not saying it won't sound better. but if you're looking for a "bang for the buck" alternative, the original CD is the way to go. Don't let yourself be fooled that because it's 44/16 that it can't sound great. It does.

With all its many rich layers, this is an album that would have sounded amazing in Multichannel.

I took your advice, Simon. Amazon had one in excellent shape for $3.99 delivered. Thanks for the suggestion. And as we all know, MoFi can take up to a year or more to release their 'upcoming' SACDs.

Wonder what kind of shape those early Bacharach A&M masters are in. I'd even settle for stereo since the quad masters may be among the missing [hopefully NOT].

As I recall, none of the Burt Bacharach Q8's are anything worthy of note. Or, at the very least, they didn't impress me whatsoever. I have all three and can safely say the only time I listened to them was to get the cartridges operational. I'm certain they're either derived from a stereo source like the Joe Cockers or are such a limp, omni-directional mix from multitrack that they might as well have not bothered. I'll go throw them in tonight and come back with a review a bit later.

Simon

I set up my R/R tape
Tested it for channel check with a Enoch light Tape All right
I put on the Burt R/R on there was a series of channel checks all in Japanese
I don,t understand but when I played the tape
The front was in the rear Burt sang a song in the rear
So I reversed the plugs and he is in the front
It started of a bit booming but then not to bad
It is a live recording so at the time they were not as good as a
studio recording
It is full Surround a lot of rear channel
It is not bad but not the best

Simon

I set up my R/R tape
Tested it for channel check with a Enoch light Tape All right
I put on the Burt R/R on there was a series of channel checks all in Japanese
I don,t understand but when I played the tape
The front was in the rear Burt sang a song in the rear
So I reversed the plugs and he is in the front
It started of a bit booming but then not to bad
It is a live recording so at the time they were not as good as a
studio recording
It is full Surround a lot of rear channel
It is not bad but not the best

Thanks for taking the time to do this! :)

I'm a bit torn on this one. After revisiting the Q8, my conclusion is that this is either derived from the Stereo tracks *OR* it is a remix from what I'm going to assume is a 4-track tape.

The similarities between the Q8 and the stereo LP are that for the title track, you have the vocalists in hard left and the piano in hard right.

The difference being on the stereo tracks, the rest of the rhythm section is straight up the middle. On the Q8, it's slopped over to the left somewhat so you get more bass out of Front Left. The piano does not sound like it's been EQ'd at all so I'm going to speculate that if this came from a 4-track master and they wanted to "stereoize" the rhythm track, they pushed the bass to the left and the treble to the right.

Anything that appears in the back channels appears in the front channels. Where the vocalists are dry in Front Left, they are in both rear channels and are wet with reverb or delay. Ditto with everything else although the bass has been processed to be as thin as possible. It's still in the rear channels, just nowhere near as powerful as it is in Front Left.

So there you have it. It's either a terrible remix from the 4-track or it's derived from the stereo tracks. Seeing as how there doesn't seem to be much (or any) discrete information coming from the rear, I'm going to suggest it's probably derived from stereo. Many of the songs on the album have the same hard left/right instruments as on the stereo tracks.

Back