HiRez Poll Bachman-Turner Overdrive - BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE I & II [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Bachman-Turner Overdrive - BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE I & II

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
To Comments.png

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 Multichannel SACD featuring the first two albums from Bachman-Turner Overdrive.
This SACD features the first release of both of the original Quadraphonic mixes since the 1970s!

(y) :) (n)

Bachman-Turner Overdrive & Bachman-Turner Overdrive II
[SACD Hybrid Multi-Channel]

BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE
LP SRM-1-673 (1973) STEREO/MQ8-1-673 QUADRAPHONIC
1: GIMME YOUR MONEY PLEASE (Turner)
2: HOLD BACK THE WATER (Randy Bachman; Rob Bachman; Turner)
3: BLUE COLLAR (Turner)
4: LITTLE GANDY DANCER (Randy Bachman)
5: STAYED AWAKE ALL NIGHT (Randy Bachman)
6: DOWN AND OUT MAN (Tim Bachman; Randy Bachman)
7: DON’T GET YOURSELF IN TROUBLE (Randy Bachman)
8: THANK YOU FOR THE FEELIN’ (Turner)

Randy Bachman (lead guitar, vocals), (lead vocals) [5, 7]
Tim Bachman (rhythm guitar, vocals), (lead vocals) [5-6]
C.F. Turner (bass, vocals), (lead vocals) [1-4, 7-8]
Rob Bachman (drums, percussion)
Barry Keane (congas) [3]

BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE II
LP SRM-1-696 (1973) STEREO/MQ8-1-696 QUADRAPHONIC
9: BLOWN (Tim Bachman; Randy Bachman)
10: WELCOME HOME (Randy Bachman)
11: STONEGATES (Turner)
12: LET IT RIDE (Randy Bachman; Turner)
13: GIVE IT TIME (Turner)
14: TRAMP (Randy Bachman; Rob Bachman)
15: I DON’T HAVE TO HIDE (Tim Bachman)
16: TAKIN’ CARE OF BUSINESS (Randy Bachman)

C.F. Turner (bass, vocals), (lead vocals) [11-13]
Randy Bachman (lead guitar, vocals), (lead vocals) [10, 14, 16]
Tim Bachman (second lead guitar, vocals), (lead vocals) [9, 15]
Rob Bachman (drums, percussion)
Norman Durkee (piano) [16]

Remastered by Michael J. Dutton
Multi-Channel/Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel
SA-CD
This Hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD player

CDSML8584

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well it just goes to show how wrong i can be! 😇 i was least looking forward to this disc when the latest titles were announced but man do these puppies sound so great it got me tappin' all ten of my toes big time and didn't let up till they'd finished takin' care of business!!! 🦶👍

the Surround mixes in particular sound absolutely pristine and open things right up compared to the original Stereo and the sound quality's lovely, the midrange especially is dreamy; rich and full but not bloated at all.

well i didn't think i'd be playing this one much (Not Fragile is one of my least played Quad DTS CD's) but it turns out i will be playing it a fair bit, the Quads here just sound too good not to!! 🤩

so breaking my score down, its 3 for the Quad, 3 for the overall package (and fabulous liner notes by our very own steelydave -- so good i read them twice already!!) and 3 for the sound. 1 point deducted for the couple of tracks i never liked and still don't really but that's a subjective thing of course.. its a 'very pleasantly surprising' "9".

well it just goes to show how wrong i can be! 😇 i was least looking forward to this disc when the latest titles were announced but man do these puppies sound so great it got me tappin' all ten of my toes big time and didn't let up till they'd finished takin' care of business!!! 🦶👍

the Surround mixes in particular sound absolutely pristine and open things right up compared to the original Stereo and the sound quality's lovely, the midrange especially is dreamy; rich and full but not bloated at all.

well i didn't think i'd be playing this one much (Not Fragile is one of my least played Quad DTS CD's) but it turns out i will be playing it a fair bit, the Quads here just sound too good not to!! 🤩

so breaking my score down, its 3 for the Quad, 3 for the overall package (and fabulous liner notes by our very own steelydave -- so good i read them twice already!!) and 3 for the sound. 1 point deducted for the couple of tracks i never liked and still don't really but that's a subjective thing of course.. its a 'very pleasantly surprising' "9".
I'm enjoying this release a lot too

Crank at 11 "stay awake all night" and add a extra point to the final score. :)

It’s great to finally have these great Rock titles with pristine sound. A solid 10. It’s amazing that they were able to go from Heavy Metal, Jazz and Pop, sometimes all in the same song. Solid Hard Rock here.

Hopefully we’ll also get the other BTO Quads as well. It’s a kick to hear such a familiar song as “Takin’ Care of Business” with great sound and in Quad.

A real surprise for me too. My older brother bought these BTO albums when they first came out and I was fairly indifferent to them. At the time, I was only 16-17 and thought they just didn’t rock hard enough. This incredible D-V release is quickly changing my indifference.

Just blown away by how warm, big, rich, and full this sounds. This mix is fantastic - major kudos to Mark Smith. Blue Collar alone is worth the price of admission - dayum it sounds good! As mentioned by our own @steelydave in his as usual fantastic liner notes, Randy Bachman had some very nice jazz chops in his arsenal.

I’m going with a well deserved 9.

With the exception of the songs that were on the box set I purchased in the early 1990’s, I’ve never heard their debut album. I remember Gimme Your Money Please, not much else. Anyway, after listening to the debut, the second side of the album are throwaway songs. Though, overall, I’m glad I had all their LP’s from BTO II on. I just enjoy their more commercial stuff overall. My favorite album has always been Four Wheel Drive. That is, until Freeways came out. Head On was a “WTF?? moment” record for me, even though I liked a handful of tunes ok. Over time, I grew to really like Head On. So, I rate it only second to Freeways.

BTO II
was the first album I heard by the band and purchased it by hearing the two monster hits, Let It Ride & Takin’ Care Of Business. This is a more commercial album from their first. It was like their record company asked them to produce some ‘Hits’ or, bye-bye. A very listenable record through all 8 tracks. I remember playing it over and over and over when I bought it, along with Elton John’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

The sound quality is good but while comparing the two while listening, the first album sounds too soft and lacks punch. I notice this lack of punch along with the softness on the other Vocalion releases I have listened to, but not this bad. Although, not sure, this could very well be the original source quad tapes.

Next time I grab this disc to play it, I’ll definitely be skipping the first album. Or, at the very least, the second side (tracks 5-8). I almost gave it a ‘6’ but voted a ’7’.

Typically, I listen to a title multiple times before voting. I want to change that trend, so that those who are on the fence about this BTO can feel at ease.

My first impressions:

1. Warm, thick, incredible fidelity. Superb Quad.
  2. Every single song on both titles fit this description, except...... BLOWN on BTO II. It is an outlyer and sounds thin, less fidelity.

This is about the quickest review I can give, that should give anyone on the fence what is needed to go ahead and order. This is stupid good, it simply cranks and you will rock the house.

I'm voting a 10. KILLER!!!

For anyone who purchased this disc and had issues with the size of the text used for the liner note, contact me privately - I have a company-sanctioned PDF with 8.5 point (compared to 6.5 in the published version) text that I can send along.

...and for anyone on the fence about this release sound quality-wise, I can assure you it's superb sonically. In preparation for writing these liner notes, I listened to several iterations of these albums - the original stereo LPs, at least two different CD issues, and the quad 8-tracks. To my ear, this disc is by far the best these albums have ever sounded. If you have to crank them up, that's a good sign - it means they have lots of dynamic range!

Both albums sound just fine in quad .

Had them on stereo lp back in the day and then both Q8'S on the Mercury/Polygram label.

There was a lot of buzz surrounding the release of the first album in my hometown so I checked the album out.
"Blue Collar" became an AM radio staple , (later on FM. ),and so was "Gimme Your Money Please".
The Quad mix is slightly tamer on the first album but BTO II has noteworthy quad panning on a couple songs.

Musically I prefer BTO I. However this 2 sacd set has me liking the second album , a lot more than I used to.

Thankyou Mr.Dutton.

And the liner notes are not a problem for me to read. I just remove my glasses and can see the print no problem if its close up.
Great liner notes Steely (as always) . I didn't know Brave Belt played at the Marion Hotel . There's a very good burger joint next door .

Anyways I shall rate this high , a 9.

Really digging this D-V BTO two-fer, but the chorus in Stayed Awake All Night is literally unlistenable to my ear.

Back