Backing up 5.1 collection for a dummy

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I have finally decided to pass my surround collection to flac. i have started with all dvd-a. I reproduce them on the home‘s network from my oppo udp-203.

I have a doubt that I do not know if it will have a solution. Is it possible to eliminate the jump between songs? this bothers me a lot and the first case has occurred to me with the jump that occurs between songs 1 and 2 of the last Bruce Soord album

kind regards

Hi

I have finally decided to pass my surround collection to flac. i have started with all dvd-a. I reproduce them on the home‘s network from my oppo udp-203.

I have a doubt that I do not know if it will have a solution. Is it possible to eliminate the jump between songs? this bothers me a lot and the first case has occurred to me with the jump that occurs between songs 1 and 2 of the last Bruce Soord album

kind regards
There is a gapless option. See pages 21 and 39 in your manual.

This is an example of a bluray read only drive. (It writes DVDs and CDs but only reads bluray). It claims to work over USB2 which lines up with not being able to burn a bluray. $55

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B1-001X-0...ternal-_-e-buy-_-9SIA7BJ35V1499&source=region
Here's an example of a standard bluray read/write drive. It requires USB3. $80

https://www.newegg.com/p/1B1-001X-0...ternal-_-e-buy-_-9SIA7BJ35V1190&source=region
If you don't have a native USB3 port (or if your native USB3 ports are restricted - sharing a bus or whatever), a thunderbolt to USB3 adapter is an option. If you have USB-C ports (thunderbolt + USB3), there are adapters for that too.

Hi

kind regards
The gapless option is on but it doesn’t works with the flac files I play from my home network

The gapless option is on but it doesn’t works with the flac files I play from my home network
I threw in the towel a few years ago and now just do whole-disc files with accompanying cue sheets. It seemed at the time to be the only method that worked universally. (Except with VLC, which doesn't play gaplessly even with this method.)

Hi:

I try to rip to flac my first blu ray audio

1.-Blu ray external drive installed.
2.-Then I am using MakeMKV to backup the entire The Night Siren (Steve Hackett) Blu Ray Audio:
3.-Then I try DVD Audio Extractor but but the protected blu ray message appears again

What am I doing wrong?

Instead of creating a full disc backup you have to create an mkv file, that file can be ripped by dvdae

I use this option from the Converting MCH discs 101: Overview:

Blu-ray Audio (BDA)
Use MakeMKV to create a MKV file (select the Title and Audio track you want)
Then use AudioMuxer to convert split MKV into FLAC files (slower than MMH below)
or
Use MakeMKV to create a MKV file
Then use Music Media Helper to split into FLAC and tag the files (automated) LINK
or
Use MakeMKV to backup decrypt and backup the disc to a folder/file format on your hard disc
Use DVD Audio Extractor to Convert to audio FLAC

I am a Mac user

Last edited:
3.-Then I try DVD Audio Extractor but but the protected blu ray message appears again

You've already gotten other useful advice, but I want to point out that MakeMKV will, for reasons I don't understand, keep full backups encrypted unless you tell it not to. I don't have it in front of me right now, but you either have to tick a box telling it to decrypt the files or you have to untick a box telling it not to.

I assume there's some reason why an encrypted backup is useful to someone, but off the top of my head I have no idea what that would be.

You've already gotten other useful advice, but I want to point out that MakeMKV will, for reasons I don't understand, keep full backups encrypted unless you tell it not to. I don't have it in front of me right now, but you either have to tick a box telling it to decrypt the files or you have to untick a box telling it not to.

I assume there's some reason why an encrypted backup is useful to someone, but off the top of my head I have no idea what that would be.
Yes. It is ok. I have not marked the encrypted option :sneaky:

What am I doing wrong?

Ensure you BD drive is empty before running DVDAE, otherwise it gets loaded by default.

Use DVDAE to ‘open files’ and choose the ripped BD image folder that was ripped using MakeMKVs ‘decrypt’ option when you do the rip.

New doubt

Is it not possible create a flac file from dolby atmos track?
You can't create an Atmos flac as there is no Meta data embedded to position the sound 'objects', but I believe you can create a 7.1 flac from the DD core as Atmos is an extension to the core.

Back