• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Backing up 5.1 collection for dummies

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Heymattwalker

I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction on making backup copies of all my 5.1 stuff: SACD/DVD-A/Dualdisc. I’m sure there’s a thread here for someone who isn’t a computer wizard. If there was a business offering this I’d gladly play, but most A/V conversion shops in Phoenix know nothing about 5.1 formats. In a perfect world, I could make a backup disc, of every format I have, in DTS or DVD-A (I can play DVD-A/DTS in the Acura). Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Snood

Staff member
So you are looking for an actual backup disc..........not just the 5.1 flac files? Are you looking for full menu copies of the discs?

SACDS will be the toughest - you would need the right PS3 with the right non updated firmware plus a few other plugins. Not the easiest - but this would be again for ripping the 5.1 flacs. There are ways to make ISOs out of the SACDs, but not into that.

DVDA - 5.1 flacs easy - but if you are looking for full disc menu back up discs, you need the right software.

hopefully others can lead you in right direction for that.

Sorry couldn't be more help :unsure:

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
SACDS will be the toughest - you would need the right PS3 with the right non updated firmware plus a few other plugins.
Actually, you don't need a PS3 anymore - SACDs can now be ripped with a variety of Oppo and even basic Sony Blu-Ray units. I use a BDP-S5100. The SACD_Extract ripping software can output a complete ISO file or separate multichannel .DSF files.

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction on making backup copies of all my 5.1 stuff: SACD/DVD-A/Dualdisc. I’m sure there’s a thread here for someone who isn’t a computer wizard. If there was a business offering this I’d gladly play, but most A/V conversion shops in Phoenix know nothing about 5.1 formats. In a perfect world, I could make a backup disc, of every format I have, in DTS or DVD-A (I can play DVD-A/DTS in the Acura). Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Hi
Do you have any equipment specifically for SACD ripping?
This can be a PS3, an Oppo multidisc player and Sony Blu-ray player's from a list of those able to rip. There are other players that can be used as well.

It then comes down to what you have in the form of a PC/Mac.
And what separate storage hard drives you have, to keep these rips on.

Once we know a bit more of what you have, we can then take you to the next level of how to rip from SACD's, DVD-Audio and DTS albums.

Don't worry, we have all been newbies before we got our noggins in gear!! (Well almost, in my case :))

There are various threads on this topic but to keep it simple, at this stage, probably best to understand where you are at, with equipment spec.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This is the big one to study by @HomerJAU

scottm18

DVD-Fab should work for your DVD Audio discs (I can't imagine you'd have too many). Those can only be played off disc or on the few machines that can play ISO (old Oppo 95 particularly). I personally have more than a few--basically all the good ones--so that's the *main* reason I was so disappointed when they killed that format...

Incidentally, I was not aware that 7-Zip can extract ISO files for free!