Backing up 5.1 collection for dummies

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heymattwalker

I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction on making backup copies of all my 5.1 stuff: SACD/DVD-A/Dualdisc. I’m sure there’s a thread here for someone who isn’t a computer wizard. If there was a business offering this I’d gladly play, but most A/V conversion shops in Phoenix know nothing about 5.1 formats. In a perfect world, I could make a backup disc, of every format I have, in DTS or DVD-A (I can play DVD-A/DTS in the Acura). Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

So you are looking for an actual backup disc..........not just the 5.1 flac files? Are you looking for full menu copies of the discs?

SACDS will be the toughest - you would need the right PS3 with the right non updated firmware plus a few other plugins. Not the easiest - but this would be again for ripping the 5.1 flacs. There are ways to make ISOs out of the SACDs, but not into that.

DVDA - 5.1 flacs easy - but if you are looking for full disc menu back up discs, you need the right software.

hopefully others can lead you in right direction for that.

Sorry couldn't be more help :unsure:

SACDS will be the toughest - you would need the right PS3 with the right non updated firmware plus a few other plugins.

Actually, you don't need a PS3 anymore - SACDs can now be ripped with a variety of Oppo and even basic Sony Blu-Ray units. I use a BDP-S5100. The SACD_Extract ripping software can output a complete ISO file or separate multichannel .DSF files.

I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction on making backup copies of all my 5.1 stuff: SACD/DVD-A/Dualdisc. I’m sure there’s a thread here for someone who isn’t a computer wizard. If there was a business offering this I’d gladly play, but most A/V conversion shops in Phoenix know nothing about 5.1 formats. In a perfect world, I could make a backup disc, of every format I have, in DTS or DVD-A (I can play DVD-A/DTS in the Acura). Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Hi
Do you have any equipment specifically for SACD ripping?
This can be a PS3, an Oppo multidisc player and Sony Blu-ray player's from a list of those able to rip. There are other players that can be used as well.

It then comes down to what you have in the form of a PC/Mac.
And what separate storage hard drives you have, to keep these rips on.

Once we know a bit more of what you have, we can then take you to the next level of how to rip from SACD's, DVD-Audio and DTS albums.

Don't worry, we have all been newbies before we got our noggins in gear!! (Well almost, in my case :))

There are various threads on this topic but to keep it simple, at this stage, probably best to understand where you are at, with equipment spec.

DVD-Fab should work for your DVD Audio discs (I can't imagine you'd have too many). Those can only be played off disc or on the few machines that can play ISO (old Oppo 95 particularly). I personally have more than a few--basically all the good ones--so that's the *main* reason I was so disappointed when they killed that format...

Incidentally, I was not aware that 7-Zip can extract ISO files for free!

SACDS will be the toughest - you would need the right PS3 with the right non updated firmware plus a few other plugins. Not the easiest - but this would be again for ripping the 5.1 flacs. There are ways to make ISOs out of the SACDs, but not into that.
Again, after years, this is not so. There are many universal players, inexpensively available on the used market, that will work better than the PS3.

Hi team, I've encountered a problem backing up the DVD-A of The Beach Boys Pet Sounds. I like to backup all of my mch discs as .iso files and store them on external hard drives. This gives the option of recreating a disc should the original go bad at a later date. It's also a good way to select from a number of disc images when connected to an Oppo.

Anyway, I was checking my backups the other day and noticed an anomaly with the Pet Sounds DVD-A. Looking at the DVD-A side of the disc Windows Explorer shows the following properties:

1610245923767.png

Note the size of the disc is 7.72 GB.

I use DVDFab to rip DVD-A discs to .iso. When the same disc is opened in DVDFab it show as thus:

1610246135667.png

Note the size of the disc is now showing as 3689 MB, which converts to 3.60 GB. Now before anyone asks, yes, I have set the option to copy the Audio_TS folder correctly:

1610246423274.png

A bit of investigation shows that DVDFab is not copying the Video_TS folder correctly. In fact if I flip the disc and attempt a backup of the DVD-V side DVDFab shows the size of the disc as being only 111MB when in fact it's 5.44 GB.

1610246662552.png

Every other DVD-A I ripped using this method works correctly, it's only this one that has the problem. So my request to the group is anyone able to test and replicate this? Better still, if I'm doing something wrong can someone enlighten me? I do know all about extracting files to flac etc, I'm really only trying to backup full discs iso's here. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1610246392687.png
    1610246392687.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 131
Back