Backup your music files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can move a set of RAID drives to a new NAS and they will be recognised in the new NAS, although this may only work if your two NAS are from same manufacturer. NASs typically use Linux. A single disc from a RAID 5 can’t be read as a stand-alone drive, it needs at to be part of the original RAID set. For RAID 5, 2 of the 3 drives must be good (I.e 1 drive can fail and all data can be read ok)

You can backup Kodi and JRiver databases and settings. This is all metadata. You need to make your own backups of your actual media files, artwork etc. That’s pretty easy, just have external USB drives or external hard drives using a USB caddy style drive holder.

Thankis for the info, I didn't realize Genestl asked the same question earlier about switching drives like I did. Good to know.

Just all sounds like some far off obscure foreign language to me :cautious:

Jottacloud: Reasonably-priced and so far reliable (if quirky) cloud backup service in Norway. https://www.jottacloud.com/en/

rclone: Command-line tool that works much like rsync and is used for synchronizing source and backup data. Where rsync is only for use with local drives, rclone has the ability to back up to a surprisingly large list of cloud providers. Amazon used to be one of them but, being Amazon, they decided to disallow it. https://rclone.org/

So, I'm looking for a online backup space for downloads and disk backups. I'm willing to pay and I figure I need at least 8TB. The only option I've found that meets my criteria thus far is Degoo, which is $100 for 10 TB of storage for 2 years. Anyone know anything about them or of other options?

So, I'm looking for a online backup space for downloads and disk backups. I'm willing to pay and I figure I need at least 8TB. The only option I've found that meets my criteria thus far is Degoo, which is $100 for 10 TB of storage for 2 years. Anyone know anything about them or of other options?

I'm currently at 8.4TB stored at Jottacloud. When I was considering signing up with them I read at least one complaint from someone who said they got grief when it turned out "unlimited" didn't really mean "unlimited", but so far they haven't said anything to me. Though I admit that I'm not sending them everything I could in an attempt to not rock the boat *too* much.

They're up-front about slowing down your transfer speeds once you get above 5TB, but I do my backing up via rclone using separate computers that don't do much else and I really have no complaints at all.

You are limited by your upload speed. Maybe consider changing your plan to faster upload until you’ve uploaded most your files?

When I briefly considered an online backup solution I quickly discovered that unlimited is NEVER in fact unlimited. Makes sense, since there is no such thing in storage. All storage capacities have a natural limit. I went with my NAS with RAID as primary media solution and total backups on external drives just left in a box in my closet. :)

Reactions: GOS
When I briefly considered an online backup solution I quickly discovered that unlimited is NEVER in fact unlimited. Makes sense, since there is no such thing in storage. All storage capacities have a natural limit. I went with my NAS with RAID as primary media solution and total backups on external drives just left in a box in my closet. :)

Same here. Online NAS, near line on external USB drives and offline on SATA drives.

If you're not using a NAS, I recommend BackBlaze. It is an unlimited backup at about $60 a year, depending on how much versioning you want. You need to take into account restores, because some backup services charge extra. Imagine having to wait for the entire 8TB to be downloaded. BB will put your data on a drive and deliver it to you. If you return the drive they don't charge for the service. They also offer a business plan that supports NAS. It runs about $5 a month per terabyte. And, they have an S3 alternative, that is also very cheap (if you don't know what S3 is, ignore this). Excellent service. They are very geeky about backups and love to send their hard drive reports out every quarter. You have to tweak the system if you want to backup ISOs (this is really just a data backup service), but it is easy to do.

No argument for building a dedicated NAS system and/or keeping an offsite 3rd backup copy via one of the cloud services. And having that 3rd offsite copy is considered the minimum for professional grade backup strategy.

On the other hand and/or for that 2nd copy:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...PhMXcwTw8v8ZqJEJMSeiyInCUIWuSadRoCHP0QAvD_BwE
$90 for 4TB of storage is hard to complain about.
It's USB and the drive inside is a 'green', not a 'black'... but you don't need performance here. (And also home theater serving doesn't need any performance to begin with. 24/96 5.1 is still low data rate.)
Always format new hard drives yourself! This one comes with the lowest common denominator for Windows OS old and new (NTFS).

Some time ago, I made a complete copy of all my music folders/files from my NAS onto a 10TB external drive. Since then, I've obviously added numerous folders and files. Today, I started an actual backup of my NAS using a program and again, backing up to that same 10TB drive. As I watch it "backing up files" to my 10TB drive, I can't help but notice that it seems to skip all the folders that were added since the original copy was made.

Is that normal? Will it copy/back them up last? Seems odd. Odd because I can tell it's going in alphabetic order and skips over things that are newer.

Merry Christmas GOS!

The backup program is probably copying the files in the order they were stored, not by alphabetic filename order. I would guess that when it gets closer to being finished you will see the newer stuff that you added being restored/backed up

:-jon

Merry Christmas to you too Jon! Oh, and a great New Year!! Yeah, I assumed/hoped that might be the case. I just didn't want to watch it run for 2 days only to find out it didn't copy certain things. I'll be patient.

Back