Banana Records: Short Doc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
I ran across this on Analog Planet being a short but fascinating documentary about a record store called Banana Records. Haha it should be called Snood Records. They are not in Snoodville but rather St Petersburg Florida. While I might disagree about the cliche comments of "the warm sound of analog & the bass just resonates deeper than digital" the feel & history of the record store is spot on. I like the comments about buying a used record from the 70's is like buying a piece of history you can hold in your hands.
Dig it:

Thanks. Wish I lived near that store.
Yes indeed, same here. When my daughters were younger & we did family vacations the high point for me was always checking out what record store I could visit. Tower Records in San Fran & Phoenix was always fun, & Virgin Megastore in Chicago come to mind. And should I ever find myself in Minneapolis I will make The Electric Fetus a top priority.

I've done that on family trips too. More fun than buying souvenir postcards or Tshirts.
On the other hand imagine a Tshirt My Daddy took us on vacation and all I got was a cheap used record.

Yes indeed, same here. When my daughters were younger & we did family vacations the high point for me was always checking out what record store I could visit. Tower Records in San Fran & Phoenix was always fun, & Virgin Megastore in Chicago come to mind. And should I ever find myself in Minneapolis I will make The Electric Fetus a top priority.
one of the joys of visiting my daughter in Minneapolis and now St. Paul!
258901C0-D4C5-4D5D-A60F-F76134E75EB4_1_105_c.jpeg

she always patiently waits . . . about 15 minutes and then she's all up in my business, rushing me through the racks--LOVE her!
https://www.discogs.com/seller/electricfetus/profile

Darn tootin!
It's not like I looked at street view but I think there's other cool shops around there. Set parking meter at 60 & meet back later.
So what have you purchased from there?
LOTS! Thinking specifically surround:
Fagen Morph the Cat
Grateful Dead American Beauty
ELP Brain Salad Surgery
Jane Monheit Come Dream With Me
They don't have a dedicated surround section, so you have to dig. I almost picked up Bowie Station to Station, but the clerk was kind enough to talk me out of it! Oh, and I have a great hoodie with the Electric Fetus "No Tern Left Unstoned" slogan--great graphic with a bird toking on a phat one!

I live about 10 miles north of the main Banannas warehouse. It's just as overwhelming as it looks. Unfortunately, I haven't visited for years due to a severely reduced income for the last several years (the job situation here sucks for older workers) and records are low on the priority scale. Now that my wife is about to start getting her social security I'd love to go but PANDEMIC. AARGH! We're retired so we only go out when necessary to avoid possibly catching or spreading the virus. I wish more people did. Florida is a mess.

Last edited:
Back