HiRez Poll Band, The - MUSIC FROM BIG PINK (2018 5.1 surround mix) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Band - MUSIC FROM BIG PINK (2018 5.1 surround mix)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
The only track that's truly ambient all the way through is, unfortunately, "The Weight". It almost sounds like a SPECWEB upmix, with most of the music in the center channel and very little going on in the four corners. IMHO, if you want to hear a decent surround mix of this track, cue up the re-recorded version (with the Staple Singers) from The Last Waltz DVD-A. The original recording just doesn't have any discrete surround potential.

I've got to disagree with you on this comment. I definitely hear Garth Hudson's organ (mostly) isolated in the back right channel for the new mix of "The Weight". He plays a low bassy, sort of church riff for the early sections of the songs, then you can hear him start to do a little walking riff going during the line that begins with "Crazy Chester followed me and he caught me in the fog..." and you can hear him take a solo right before the "Get your cannonball.." section. I say it's mostly isolated, because to these ears there is some reverb of the other instruments blended behind the organ, and also he's occasionally doubling the bass line which may come off sounding only "ambient", but to these ears, his organ is definitely louder than the anything else in the back right channel of the mix. I'm listening to the DTS-HD layer, though I'm assuming that shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Back