HiRez Poll Band, The - THE BAND [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Band - THE BAND

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
My theory about the loud center for some of Clearmountain's mixes is: drums recorded in mono. He chose to lock them in the center, instead of hard panning them fl/fr, which just creates a phantom center anyway. It's quite typical for drums to be the loudest element in a mix.
If this is what was done, there is nothing amiss here. Just an unorthodox choice. Thoughts?
FWIW, the center sounds just fine on my system. No adjustment necessary.

My theory about the loud center for some of Clearmountain's mixes is: drums recorded in mono. He chose to lock them in the center, instead of hard panning them fl/fr, which just creates a phantom center anyway. It's quite typical for drums to be the loudest element in a mix.
If this is what was done, there is nothing amiss here. Just an unorthodox choice. Thoughts?

Finally decided to splurge on the box - I've been through the 5.1 three times now and I think you’re right on the money with this. The drums sound balanced to me, but they’re really isolated and often sound--on my system, at least--kind of detached from everything else happening in the other channels.

Working with a (presumably) mono drum track obviously limits your options when mixing for surround, but I’m not crazy about this approach. The effect of having the whole kit locked to that one speaker and beamed right at you is rather distracting at times, particularly on the more active tunes (“Across The Great Divide”, “Rag Mama Rag”). I loved Clearmountain's 5.1 of Big Pink--which basically follows the same mix philosophy, if I recall correctly--so I'm not sure why it bugs me here.

To my ears, the mixes that work the best either have very little rhythm section presence (“Whispering Pines”, “Rockin’ Chair”) or he's allowed the drums to diffuse a bit into the front channels. For example, “Up On Cripple Creek” has the kit at a slightly lower level in the front left channel in addition to the center. The effect of being surrounded by the three vocalists in a triangle on "Rockin' Chair" is basically worth the price of admission though.

Not quite sure how to vote yet as, on the one hand, I respect the bold choice to go crazy and basically hard-pan everything on a classic album - but I also think that it often sounds less cohesive than the original, like you’re just listening to isolated elements positioned around you rather than a fully-realized surround mix. This is probably the only time you’ll hear me say this, but some of the guitar solos in the right rear channel actually seem overloud (!!).

Last edited:
Finally decided to splurge on the box - I've been through the 5.1 three times now and I think you’re right on the money with this. The drums sound balanced to me, but they’re really isolated and often sound--on my system, at least--kind of detached from everything else happening in the other channels.

Working with a (presumably) mono drum track obviously limits your options when mixing for surround, but I’m not crazy about this approach. The effect of having the whole kit locked to that one speaker and beamed right at you is rather distracting at times, particularly on the more active tunes (“Across The Great Divide”, “Rag Mama Rag”). I loved Clearmountain's 5.1 of Big Pink--which basically follows the same mix philosophy, if I recall correctly--so I'm sure why it bugs me here.

To my ears, the mixes that work the best either have very little rhythm section presence (“Whispering Pines”, “Rockin’ Chair”) or he's allowed the drums to diffuse a bit into the front channels. For example, “Up On Cripple Creek” has the kit at a slightly lower level in the front left channel in addition to the center.

Not quite sure how to vote yet as, on the one hand, I respect the bold choice to go crazy and basically hard-pan everything on a classic album - but I also think that it often sounds less cohesive than the original, like you’re just listening to isolated elements positioned around you rather than a fully-realized surround mix. This is probably the only time you’ll hear me say this, but some of the guitar solos in the right rear channel actually seem overloud (!!).
I like your new avatar.

Decent enough effort some great songs surrounded by some mediocre songs
sonics are fantastic
mix is weird with super center channel nicely active surround though
overall solid 7

Back