Bandcamp - 5.1 surround music releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is the final Bandcamp Friday of 2022; on this day, Bandcamp waives its share of revenue and gives it to artists (or labels, for those indie labels with Bandcamp stores) instead. That means that, on average, 93% of the purchase price goes to the artist (as opposed to 82% on any other day).

There may not be a lot of surround music available on Bandcamp--search this thread for some of the more notable titles that people have found--though there's more and more music you can buy there that has exclusive Atmos mixes streaming on Apple & Tidal. But most indie artists will see more revenue from one purchase on Bandcamp than they'll see from months and months' worth of streams.
https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/bandcamp-fridays-update

Last edited:
Today is the final Bandcamp Friday of 2022; on this day, Bandcamp waives its share of revenue and gives it to artists (or labels, for those indie labels with Bandcamp stores) instead. That means that, on average, 93% of the purchase price goes to the artist (as opposed to 82% on any other day).

There may not be a lot of surround music available on Bandcamp--search this thread for some of the more notable titles that people have found--though there's more and more music you can buy there that has exclusive Atmos mixes streaming on Apple & Tidal. But most indie artists will see more revenue from one purchase on Bandcamp than they'll see from months and months' worth of streams.
I've tried searching Bandcamp for FLAC 5.1 and/or surround files, but can't find them. There doesn't seem to be a 5.1 or surround tag either. Is there a section of search that I can use?

I've tried searching Bandcamp for FLAC 5.1 and/or surround files, but can't find them. There doesn't seem to be a 5.1 or surround tag either. Is there a section of search that I can use?
I would say: see @sukothai's link, above--and search back through this thread. Unfortunately, Bandcamp doesn't make it easy to sell or download music in non-stereo formats. Most artists offering 5.1 or Atmos have to sell it as "merchandise"; once you make the purchase, they will then arrange to send you the music in a physical format (optical disc, USB drive) or, in some cases, send you a private download link.

sukothai, gave a link below, of artists that do spatial music. In general, Bandcamp will not allow to distribute non stereo files unless you play some tricks with their system. Here the purpose is to support artists that do spatial music, not really to get spatial music from Bandcamp. If you want spatial music, check surroundmusic.one which behaves like Bandcamp for the artists.

I've had that page open since your post, dipping into the many choices there. I purchased The Amnis Initiative album Identity from the secondary site and burnt a DVD. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!
I'm curious. Did you get it from surroundmusic.one? or did you buy the Bandcamp version and it included a download from?
I have some quad albums on surroundmusic.one, and trying to figure out what is the best way to distribute in this format? Lately I'm releasing in binaural on Bandcamp and atmos on Apple Music, with sometimes a 4 or 5.1 version on surroundmusic.one. I'm still trying to figure out what the optimal way to do it. Your experience may help me.

I'm curious. Did you get it from surroundmusic.one? or did you buy the Bandcamp version and it included a download from?
I have some quad albums on surroundmusic.one, and trying to figure out what is the best way to distribute in this format? Lately I'm releasing in binaural on Bandcamp and atmos on Apple Music, with sometimes a 4 or 5.1 version on surroundmusic.one. I'm still trying to figure out what the optimal way to do it. Your experience may help me.
I did buy from surroundmusic.one. It worked well for me. Apart from the time it seems to take for the whole pages to load for me. The header loads and then the page content takes several minutes before it appears. Weird.

I'm old school, DVDs are required for my system. Plus I play FLACs on foobar2000 on the PC. I'll never buy Apple products and can't see me getting an Atmos set up, although I'd love one. Bruce Soord is remixing old Pineapple Thief albums in surround and Atmos. I can't wait for those.

Just found out about this solo project from Norway:
1683233283129.png

A tweaked copy-and-paste post:

Today is Bandcamp Friday; on this day, Bandcamp waives its share of revenue and gives it to artists (or labels, for those indie labels with Bandcamp stores) instead. That means that, on average, 93% of the purchase price goes to the artist (as opposed to 82% on any other day).

There may not be a lot of surround music available on Bandcamp--scroll back through this thread for some of the more notable titles that people have found--although there's a lot of music with exclusive Atmos mixes streaming on Apple & Tidal that you can buy in stereo form on Bandcamp. The main thing is: most indie artists will see more revenue from one purchase on Bandcamp than they'll see from months or even years' worth of streams. So if you like a streaming Atmos mix that you can't buy anywhere, then think about sending some money to the artist anyway by buying their music on Bandcamp.

Last edited:
Back