DVD/DTS Poll Banks, Tony - A Curious Feeling [DTS 96/24 DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Tony Banks - A CURIOUS FEELING

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
Blast n dammit!! Opened shrink wrap to find neither DVD nor CD - just a nice sleeve!!! The shrink wrap had the sticker proclaiming what's inside - so mistake at factory grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

but there is a God...company that sold it found another and sent me discs in plain wrapper - discs have been re-united with sleeve and I will give it a listen soon.....

Hello,

I tried to buy this on that website above but could not. Would someone be willing to have me pay for it to your email address on paypal plus shipping and then have you ship it to me here in the States?

Terry

I had never heard this album but being fond of Genesis from the 1976 to 1980 period particularly and also being fond of the surround reissues, I tracked it down on Ebay ( yes it was expensive).

This is a wonderful album. It has all the lush tones of Wind and Wuthering etc and sits well with the Genesis albums of the period. It is probably more accessible yet doesn't sound dated. I haven't heard 'The Fugitive' but will be looking for that next.

The surround mix, technically competent, gives much depth and atmosphere to the recording. The sound quality, particularly the bass is superb. The instrumental tracks, in particular, excel. For me Mr Banks was and is the soul of Genesis.

Strangely, as happens occasionally, my twenty something teenage children have taken to this record while not being interested in Genesis at all. Others have included King Crimson's Lizard, MB's Days of Future Past, the odd Van Morrison, Queen, INXS, Led Zeppelin and Beatles. I have heard it coming from all their rooms at different times. Otherwise the output is mainly new folk. Keep re-releasing it Tony. The market will evolve for it eventually…. you were just a little early...

-1 for being lossy
Genesis stuff recycled...but in a good way....bought this blindly too, had never heard this LP before...
Great packaging and very good mix....definitely worth it!

This price of this is ridiculous......

Anyone know where to get this at a reasonable price?

In 2011 I wrote to Esoteric to ask if they were considering a repressing. The answer I received was that it may be possible but they needed permission to go above the agreed number in the limited edition. Now, 1,5 year later, I guess that they did not get that permission :)

I've seen a couple sell for under $50 in the past six months on ebay; so you can get it reasonable if you watch for it.

Just a note to say that if you enjoyed this, don't rush out to buy "The Fugitive" necessarily.

"The Fugitive" is to "Curious Feeling" what "Abacab" is to "Wind and Wuthering". It's a pretty good collection of pop songs but don't expect more of the same.

This really is a spectacularly good re-issue by Cherry Red's Esoteric division.

I bought the original on vinyl a few weeks after it's original release and although it took me longer than usual to get into it (lets say that it took me some time to appreciate just how good a vocalist Kim Beacon really was) it became a firm favourite and part of my adolescent soundtrack. When I noticed that Esoteric were not just re-issuing but were also including a surround version mixed by Nick Davis I couldn't part with my money quickly enough!

Not too surprisingly it's very similar in quality to the Genesis DTS surround discs included in the 2007 boxed sets. If I'm being hyper-critical there's just a little too much top end at times but overall Kim's vocals sound very mellow and clear. The keyboards are beautifully rendered and layered with impressive, but subtle rather than gimmicky use of the surround field. There's plenty of warmth and bottom end too so it really rocks where it needs too and when those layers of keys build you get a shimmering, velvety wall of sound that's just a joy to listen too.

All of the tracks are excellent - there's not a bum one on the whole album but some stand out as real showcases of what Mr Banks is capable of in full, un-fettered flow. The opener "From the Undertow", the track that closed side 1 "Forever Morning", the closing section of "You" (dance on a volcano, anyone?) "The Waters of Lethe" to name a few are all full-on Genesis keyboards but without any need to compromise to find space for the other musicians. Stunning.

What a shame Esoteric pressed far too few of the double disc edition, as it really deserves to be out there and heard by more people. If you're lucky enough to own one you're now sitting on a small fortune, if you feel like selling it. I wont be parting with mine, but I bloody well wish I had bought two!

My heart rates it 10 but because there's no full-fat-audio and because just now and again you can tell, it gets a 9.

Had the opportunity to borrow and listen to this disc recently, and it gets a very generous '8' from me.

Good songs with good singing on it, but the main problem I have with this mix is that Nick Davis mixed it like he did all of the other mid-period (1976-1982) Genesis albums, the worst sounding bunch of remixes in the Genesis series. This one in particular features a lot of sounds reminiscent of those on "And Then There Were Three" (which has the worst remix IMO).
So combine that with songs that don't quite stand up to those on Genesis albums with the fact that it's just DVD-V and not DVD-A, that's how I arrived at my '8'.

I know this DVD-V has been out of print for a while, so if you missed it like me, reassurances that unless you are a huge fan of this album, you're not missing much.

Been listening to this disc again since I received my copy of it yesterday from Burning Shed, and I honestly forgot just how loud this disc was! Now that doesn't mean that it sounds bad. It's just loud, so take that as you will.
The good thing is that a lot of the material on this disc is better than I remember, and it has grown on me with subsequent listens.
I would take the opportunity to grab this disc while you can since this reissue is much cheaper than the 2009 copies which fetch big bucks on the interwebz. :)

Review #1

Bit late in posting reviews on any 5.1 releases on the forum. I decided to go through my collection A-Z and toss some late comments each week. So, here we go with #1...

PACKAGING
Nice! Great job, Esoteric! I really like your products!! Photos, a proper write-up booklet and a slip sleeve cover, + both remastered CD & 5.1 DVD and promos. The price wasn't out of the ballpark either.

CONTENT
I originally bought this when it was first released on vinyl during my high school days. Really wondered if it would stand the test of time; would I still feel the same now as I did back then. A few songs still don't grab me ("Curious Feeling" being one of them...Lyrical cringe!), while others are brilliant (Waters of Lethe, Forever Morning, Somebody Else's Dream, & From the Undertow). It's easy to imagine certain parts of this CD being integrated into a late 70's Genesis release. Most of the recording is moody but enjoyable especially on a cloudy day.

5.1 + FIDELITY
Nick Davis isn't everyone's hero with the Genesis 5.1 series, but this comes across well-balanced. The rears are active enough with keyboards, secondary percussion, background vocals, etc; I really melted into the sound. Clean sounding, discrete separation and smooth bass.

SCORE
8.5, with points off only for certain content.

Back