Barbra Streisand’s “The Way We Were”

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfactor23

Does anybody know if any if the “Way We Were” cds are SQ encoded and, if so, which one(s)?
Thanks -

This is a stereo CD with a very good QS surround effect. ( More effective than vinyl SQ )

Barbra Streisand
 Funny Girl (CK 85151), On A Clear Day You Can See Forever (CK 57377),
 Stoney End (CK 30378), Lazy Afternoon (CK 33815),Butterfly (CK 33005),
 The Way We Were_Original Soundtrack Recording (CK 57381),
 Barbra Joan Streisand (CK 30792)

There are two different Babs albums titled the Way We Were. One was the soundrack album, which only came out on 2ch. The other was her '73 non-sountrack pop album. I've had the pop album on Q8, SQ, 1/2 speed mastered LP & CD. To my knowledge, neither the CD nor 1/2 speed LP are SQ encoded.

I believe that Funny Girl movie soundtrack SQ/Q8 and Funny Lady movie soundtrack CD-4/Q8 were the only Babs soundtrack albums released in Quad.

I bought all the Quads on LP and/or Q8: Stoney End, Barbra Joan, Forum, Way We Were, Butterfly, Lazy Afternoon, and soundtracks. I rebought them all on CD, none of which to my knowedge are SQ encoded. Check Mark Anderson's discography, because all this was written from memory.

There are two different Babs albums titled the Way We Were. One was the soundrack album, which only came out on 2ch. The other was her '73 non-sountrack pop album. I've had the pop album on Q8, SQ, 1/2 speed mastered LP & CD. To my knowledge, neither the CD nor 1/2 speed LP are SQ encoded.

I believe that Funny Girl movie soundtrack SQ/Q8 and Funny Lady movie soundtrack CD-4/Q8 were the only Babs soundtrack albums released in Quad.

I bought all the Quads on LP and/or Q8: Stoney End, Barbra Joan, Forum, Way We Were, Butterfly, Lazy Afternoon, and soundtracks. I rebought them all on CD, none of which to my knowedge are SQ encoded. Check Mark Anderson's discography, because all this was written from memory.

It would be an extraordinary coup if D~V could eventually release ALL those Bab QUADs. To date, only her Movie Album was ever commercially released as a 5.1 SACD.

I followed her career from Day 1 and her early performances on TV and in the recording studio were, IMO, EVENTS!

Those first albums under the musical direction of Peter Matz were superb and would make for wonderful D~V Stereo Two~fers, as well.

COLOR ME a HUGE Barbra fanboy!

See the source image

Last edited:

That's right.
Please note that it is not "SQ" encoding.
If you decode with "QS" method, some instrument will be located behind.
(For some reason, it has been remixed using the opposite phase)
I think enjoy it.

Most 2ch sources will create some sort of "Quad synthesis." How many instruments, channel location, and phase differences will influence how pronounced the synthesized effect appears. Set any decoder to it's matrix positions QS, SQ, RM, or EV-4. Then, play a 2ch source, and it will create some sort of Quad effect.

You're saying that a CD synthesizes Quad when you use QS decoding. It is highly unlikely that CBS (Columbia Records), now Sony would use a competing matrix, when they patented SQ. IF the CD('s) were encoded on any Columbia title, they would be SQ encoded. That was our point.

Reading the fine print at the bottom of the back cover of the SQ ENCODED LP jacket, not the strereo jacket and you'll see the SQ logo and verbiage:,

https://www.discogs.com/Barbra-Streisand-The-Way-We-Were/release/2840559
It is also marked as SQ encoded on the front cover, as well:

https://www.discogs.com/Barbra-Streisand-The-Way-We-Were/release/2840559
Again, if your CD was encoded at all, it would be SQ, not QS encoded. No doubt it synthesizes a nice effect when set to QS or QS Vario-Matrix synthesis

Even a CD-4 Quadradisc will create synthesized Quad with some effect. CD-4 is not a matrix system. When played as a 2ch record, it will still synthesize Quad through a decoder or synthesizer.

The biggest issue is not whether or not there is some "Quad effect." The issue becomes how well the encoding/decoding provides the effect the recording engineer intended. Everything else is mostly serendipity.

On the subject of SQ, there is a wide variance in how well they decode. An SQ decoder built into a receiver usually does a mediocre job, at best. Most built-in SQ decoders are non-logic and provide minimal real decoding, even on SQ encoded software.

Perhaps only a dozen of all the Quad receivers w/SQ built-in have full logic. There are many outboard SQ decoders that have full logic. Marantz SQA-2 plug in modules are full logic. SQA-1 is only front/back logic. Tate and the modern Surround Master will also decode SQ records very well.

fwiw, I picked up an early cd pressing of this album (CK 32801) and played it through the “virtual” setting on my Marantz (AV 7702) and, imho, it sounds very, very, very good - very discrete -

I have no idea if it’s SQ encoded or not - I just know what I hear -

fwiw, I picked up an early cd pressing of this album (CK 32801) and played it through the “virtual” setting on my Marantz (AV 7702) and, imho, it sounds very, very, very good - very discrete -

I have no idea if it’s SQ encoded or not - I just know what I hear -

Some CDs (described above) had good QS effects, but unfortunately other CDs, such as The Way We Were (CK 32801), were ordinary stereo discs.

QS, and sometimes SQ, sound pretty good decoded with Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Surround, DTS Neo:6, or DTS Neo:X. I've compared some quad LPs versus their quad SACD or BD-A equivalents and the decoding is not awful. I prefer Neo:X right now.

Back