Barclay James Harvest and Other Short Stories (New Reissue with 5.1 surround DVD!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so even though DVD Audio Extractor only showed 3 streams available (96khz stereo, 48khz DTS, 48khz DD), I extracted the one called DTS. Uploaded a track in Audacity, and it tells me it's 96/24.

For backwards compatibility purposes, DTS 96/24 basically piggybacks the extra 48kHz of frequency response on top of a standard 48kHz DTS stream - if you have an old "vanilla" DTS decoder it only sees that basic DTS data, but if you're 96/24 DTS capable it adds on the extra resolution on top.

For some reason DVDA Extractor only reports that 48/24 stream even though it actually transcodes the full 96/24 resolution, as you've experienced. I don't know what the reason for this, it could be just an oversight in the coding of the user interface, or possibly they're not actually licensed for DTS 96/24 (I have some recollection that that's why they used to not be able to transcode DTS-HD streams?) so they can't advertise it, but either way, you definitely get the full resolution from DVDA Extractor.

For backwards compatibility purposes, DTS 96/24 basically piggybacks the extra 48kHz of frequency response on top of a standard 48kHz DTS stream - if you have an old "vanilla" DTS decoder it only sees that basic DTS data, but if you're 96/24 DTS capable it adds on the extra resolution on top.

For some reason DVDA Extractor only reports that 48/24 stream even though it actually transcodes the full 96/24 resolution, as you've experienced. I don't know what the reason for this, it could be just an oversight in the coding of the user interface, or possibly they're not actually licensed for DTS 96/24 (I have some recollection that that's why they used to not be able to transcode DTS-HD streams?) so they can't advertise it, but either way, you definitely get the full resolution from DVDA Extractor.
Thanks for reminder. I sort of remember that story now. I haven't ripped a DVD in a while. So, I was just paranoid I guess. To be honest, I wish that DVDA Extractor could somehow show (in real time) what the "actual" khz being extracted is. Geez.....

OK, so this is not the right thread...but it's related to this title. Not that it even matters honestly. But, it drives me crazy.

DVD-A vs DVD-V

On the box of this title, it does say it's a DVD-Audio. How, in fact, can I prove either way (regardless of what it says on the box) that this is a DVD-V or DVD-A? What should I be looking for?

Thanks for reminder. I sort of remember that story now. I haven't ripped a DVD in a while. So, I was just paranoid I guess. To be honest, I wish that DVDA Extractor could somehow show (in real time) what the "actual" khz being extracted is. Geez.....

Do you use Garry's MMH? Simplifies everything!

OK, so this is not the right thread...but it's related to this title. Not that it even matters honestly. But, it drives me crazy.

DVD-A vs DVD-V

On the box of this title, it does say it's a DVD-Audio. How, in fact, can I prove either way (regardless of what it says on the box) that this is a DVD-V or DVD-A? What should I be looking for?
If there is no 5.1 LPCM its not DVD-Audio

OK, so on to the next question. How do I know if it has 5.1 LPCM? Will it literally say that? Or is there some other terminology that tips me off?

Just play the disc. Look at the audio options in the menu or press the 'info' button on your receiver/disc player remote.

image.jpg

Looks like standard DVD to me. If it were a genuine DVD-A, the 5.1 would be presented in MLP ("Advanced Resolution") or Linear PCM.

Reactions: GOS
They use an open source DTS-HD decoder library. It does decode all extant non-object-based DTS variants at full resolution, but it may not report the particular variant to the DVD Audio Extractor application.
If there is no 5.1 LPCM its not DVD-Audio
Incorrect. Most surround DVD-As do not use uncompressed LPCM, but compressed MLP: Meridian Lossless Packing.

Last edited:
So, once again, the disc is labeled wrong I guess. haha, not sure why labeling is so difficult (for those that IMO, should do their homework I mean)

DVD-A vs DVD-V

From an advertising/labelling perspective, don't trust that anything new is an actual DVD-Audio - AFAIK no one is authoring DVD-As anymore aside from maybe Neil Wilkes at Opus Productions. Generally what they mean now when you see "DVD Audio" is more of a layman's description for the unwashed, to indicate that it's a 'DVD Album,' ie not to expect any video content - what they should be calling them is "Audio DVD."

From a technical perspective, if a disc has actual DVD-Audio content, when you rip the disc there will be data in the 'AUDIO_TS' folder - AUDIO_TS = DVD-A content, VIDEO_TS = DVD-V content.

In DVD Audio Extractor, if a disc is a true DVD-A it will say 'MLP' (Meridian Lossless Packing, the compression algorithm for DVD-A) in the bottom left window of 'Step 1:'

1598393509815.png

If the disc is actually just a DVD-V, the audio streams listed in that bottom left window will either be AC-3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS, which are both lossy, obviously.

From an advertising/labelling perspective, don't trust that anything new is an actual DVD-Audio - AFAIK no one is authoring DVD-As anymore aside from maybe Neil Wilkes at Opus Productions. Generally what they mean now when you see "DVD Audio" is more of a layman's description for the unwashed, to indicate that it's a 'DVD Album,' ie not to expect any video content - what they should be calling them is "Audio DVD."

From a technical perspective, if a disc has actual DVD-Audio content, when you rip the disc there will be data in the 'AUDIO_TS' folder - AUDIO_TS = DVD-A content, VIDEO_TS = DVD-V content.

In DVD Audio Extractor, if a disc is a true DVD-A it will say 'MLP' (Meridian Lossless Packing, the compression algorithm for DVD-A) in the bottom left window of 'Step 1:'

View attachment 55594

If the disc is actually just a DVD-V, the audio streams listed in that bottom left window will either be AC-3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS, which are both lossy, obviously.
Yes! Perfect. That's what I wondered. When I loaded the info into audiomuxer, the Audio TS folder was empty, while the Video TS folder had the files.

When possible I use MakeMKV to extract the media and then ffmpeg with some perl scripts.
Here are the specs from the three audio streams
Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: pcm_s24le, 96000 Hz, stereo, s32 (24 bit), 4608 kb/s (default)
Stream #0:2(eng): Audio: dts (DTS 96/24), 96000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 1536 kb/s
Stream #0:3(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 448 kb/s

Back