DVD/DTS Poll Barclay James Harvest - Once Again [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Barclay James Harvest - ONCE AGAIN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DTS and Dolby 5.1 Audio DVD.(n) (y)

Don't know how I missed this one

Attachments

• 1barclayjamesharvestonc.jpg
    1barclayjamesharvestonc.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 509
I missed this when it came out, and only purchased this recently. Another old EMI quad mix.

What is interesting about this one is that they've included stereo LPCM 96/24 AND SQ Encoded LPCM 96/24!! as well as the discrete surround mix in DTS 96/24 :yikes

Sounds pretty good considering it's dts 24/96 and not DVD Audio MLP.
The recording does show its age but I enjoyed the music and surround presentation enough to give it an 8.

So what exactly does SQ encoded mean?
I gather its still stereo, but can rear channels be extracted with an SQ decoder?

So what exactly does SQ encoded mean?
I gather its still stereo, but can rear channels be extracted with an SQ decoder?

Yep - Run it through a SQ decoder and you have the original SQ Quad mix...

Only just spotted this (not quite sure how!)
Note to self: Pay more attention to sticky polls! £7.20 from an Amazon marketplace seller has to be an instant buy!

I voted a "nine".

Love this disc in dts quad.Had the EMI/HARVEST SQ disc back to play on my Fosgate 101a before the unit caught age related virus.Stll have the disc and it is a gorgeous album cover as well as a nice clean quad pressing.

The dvd has some nice prog rock tunes . Mockingbird-is my favourite tune.

This disc is recommended for any quad or surround collection in my opinion.

A huge "surprise bonus" with this cd/dvd is the original SQ ENCODE presented in 96/24 alongside the dts or DD quad on the DVD!

I wish more quad releases with the matrix encode existed along with the discreet DVD'S.The band went all out with this reissue.Well done.

Wow, a favourite band of mine, did not know they existed in surround! Totally missed this. Have they got more albums out in surround?

Last edited:
OK guys, your reviews have made me order it. For anyone looking for it, it is still available on Amazon UK. I got mine at 11 pounds. It was more than twice the price from the same seller on Amazon Canada. I did not know it was out on DVD-A. I was going to buy it on LP, but this should save me some coin and be better quality. Thanks guys!

OK guys, your reviews have made me order it. For anyone looking for it, it is still available on Amazon UK. I got mine at 11 pounds. It was more than twice the price from the same seller on Amazon Canada. I did not know it was out on DVD-A. I was going to buy it on LP, but this should save me some coin and be better quality. Thanks guys!

Just a little reminder, C V , this is a dvd not dvda.

Actually this thread should have read...... (DTS /DOLBY/SQ quad Audio DVD). Well maybe next time.

I gave it a 9. This is such a cool release! The original stereo mix, the SQ-encoded stereo mix, and the discrete quad mix all on one disc. What's not to like about that? Kudos to whoever's idea it was to put these old EMI quads out and in affordable packages, no less!

I had never heard of this group before. To my ears, comparisons can be made to both the Moody Blues and King Crimson. The lead vocals definitely remind me of Justin Hayward.

Like the ELO release from the same series, this is a pretty rare/obscure quad mix. It appears to only have come out only as an SQ LP in the UK. I can't find any record of a Q8 existing, though titles from the same "QHVL" series such as Dark Side Of The Moon, Atom Heart Mother, and ELO did get Q8 releases, so it may just be very rare. But you'd think after 40+ years someone would come forward with one, so for now I'm gonna say this is likely the first airing of the discrete master tape.

The mix is very "quad"- I really enjoyed it. Very four-corner discrete, to the point of having the occasional dead channel, which makes sense as it was mixed to take advantage of SQ decoding.

The opening track "She Said" features some very cool active panning of the drum kit. However, one thing that is rather strange about that track is the lead vocals are only in left rear! That channel literally only has vocals and occasionally a drum roll that passes through- it sounds more like what you'd expect to hear in a modern center channel. It's definitely not a mistake though, as the drum rolls move logically in a circle around the room. All the other tracks have vocals front center.

The one downside? The quad mix has an annoying derived center channel that's too loud and destroys the phantom center imaging. Best to just mute on playback or if you're ripping to PC files, delete it entirely. Strange as they didn't add a fake center to the ELO quad, though Peter Mew is credited with the quad-to-5.1 remaster so that might explain the tampering :rolleyes:

I grabbed mine on Amazon for $19. Certainly tempted to check out other BJH surround titles, though it's my understanding those are new 5.1 mixes and not old quads.

Track 1- "She Said"
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 3.53.23 PM.png

Track 6- "Vanessa Simmons"
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 3.57.29 PM.png

Last edited:
I gave it a 9. This is such a cool release! The original stereo mix, the SQ-encoded stereo mix, and the discrete quad mix all on one disc. What's not to like about that? Kudos to whoever's idea it was to put these old EMI quads out and in affordable packages, no less!

I had never heard of this group before. To my ears, comparisons can be made to both the Moody Blues and King Crimson. The lead vocals definitely remind me of Justin Hayward

Like the ELO release from the same series, this is a pretty rare/obscure quad mix. It appears to only have come out only as an SQ LP in the UK. I can't find any record of a Q8 existing, though titles from the same "QHVL" series such as Dark Side Of The Moon, Atom Heart Mother, and ELO did get Q8 releases, so it may just be very rare. But you'd think after 40+ years someone would come forward with one, so for now I'm gonna say this is likely the first airing of the discrete master tape.

The mix is very "quad"- I really enjoyed it. Very discrete, to the point of having the occasional dead channel, which makes sense as it was mixed to take advantage of SQ decoding.

The opening track "She Said" features some very cool active panning of the drum kit. However, one thing that is rather strange about that track is the lead vocals are only in left rear! That channel literally only has vocals and occasionally a drum roll that passes through- it sounds more like what you'd expect to hear in a modern center channel. It's definitely not a mistake though, as the drum rolls move logically in a circle around the room. All the other tracks have vocals front center.

The one downside? The quad mix has an annoying derived center channel that's too loud and destroys the phantom center imaging. Best to just mute on playback or if you're ripping to PC files, delete it entirely. Strange as they didn't add a fake center to the ELO quad, though Peter Mew is credited with the quad-to-5.1 remaster so that might explain the tampering :rolleyes:

I grabbed mine on Amazon for $19. Certainly tempted to check out other BJH surround titles, though it's my understanding those are new 5.1 mixes and not old quads.

Track 1- "She Said"
View attachment 36958

Track 6- "Vanessa Simmons"
View attachment 36959
The Amazon link specifies the 40th Anniversary edition with the album mixed in 5.1 reportedly appearing on the DVD. Amazon also lists another edition in CD format for $26(much cheaper used). That CD has 2 bonus tracks plus 3 additional bonus tracks in quad. I own neither so I can’t comment further.

The Amazon link specifies the 40th Anniversary edition with the album mixed in 5.1 reportedly appearing on the DVD.

I'm pretty confident it's the quad mix manipulated to 5.1- the center channel has nothing that isn't also in the fronts. It appears to be derived in a similar fashion to those old Miller Nevada DTS-CDs sourced from quad masters. Decoding the SQ stereo mix on the DVD or comparing to the actual SQ LP would be the surefire way to tell though. I'm unable to do this at the moment, but am definitely planning to.

This mix is similar in style to other '70s EMI quad mixes I've heard. I doubt they'd mix it this way if they were doing a new 5.1 from scratch today.

Track 1- "She Said" With Center/Sub:
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 10.09.59 AM.png

I’m a big BJH fan and I own a number of their DVD-A recordings in surround format so this is very helpful. Heck, I may have to just go out and buy it LOL!

Just a quick note . Esoteric has some other artists with DVDA however ;

All BJH multis that are available are DVD...... and not DVDA , although I wish they were. And this EMI title is not DVDA , just DVD ( with DTS and DD .).

You're absolutely right and I stand corrected. I have Everyone Is Everybody Else, Gone To Earth, Octoberon and XII in DVD format(NOT DVD A). Since I primarily play music from ripped files, the discs pretty much remain in storage.

Yes I too have this title plus Everyone Is...,. and really should stop procrastinating and pick up some of the others , well,......actually all of them.

Back