Barclay James Harvest - Upmix of "Time Honoured Ghosts" out in September

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Obviously the big news today is the news about "Time Passages" from Al Stewart out in October, but that's not all folks!
Esoteric are also putting out another reissue of a Barclay James Harvest album called "Time Honoured Ghosts" in September.
However, like the recent "Olias of Sunhillow" release from Jon Anderson, this is just an upmix from the stereo master tape as the multitrack tapes for this album have long been missing.

More details here: Barclay James Harvest: Time Honoured Ghosts, Expanded & Remastered 1CD/1DVD - Cherry Red Records

Obviously the big news today is the news about "Time Passages" from Al Stewart out in October, but that's not all folks!
Esoteric are also putting out another reissue of a Barclay James Harvest album called "Time Honoured Ghosts" in September.
However, like the recent "Olias of Sunhillow" release from Jon Anderson, this is just an upmix from the stereo master tape as the multitrack tapes for this album have long been missing.

More details here: Barclay James Harvest: Time Honoured Ghosts, Expanded & Remastered 1CD/1DVD - Cherry Red Records

Of course, I'm disappointed the multi-track tapes couldn't be found. I'll still be buying this, just because I dig the band and this whole reissue series.

I will order this. I listened to this on Tidal stereo today and was actually impressed, I like the song that they do with Beatles titles. I never listened to this band back in the day, I always that it was one person, like a folk singer or something. But is kind of easy proggy.
I am also very interested in the, we hope "professional gear upmix" from a stereo source. Of course I have heard up mixes from freinds before.
I like the fact that they just come out and tell it like it is.

Last edited:
Probably my favorite BJH record. Knew the multis were missing, so I’m surprised they bothered with this one. I’ll be happy to have this, as I am with Olias. An upmix is better than no mix at all.

I’ll order it too. I never heard this particular album by BJH. But I heard great things about it. Plus, it’s reasonably priced

Has anybody else got this yet? I haven't seen any other posts, I've listened probably a half dozen or so times now and I like the mix a lot, there is plenty going on in the surrounds separate from the fronts, there is a slight muddiness to the drums, might just be me though, I would like to hear what others think of it.
Ordered. Hopefully the original mix has plenty of phase differences, and that the up-mix is by Simon Heyworth as he has done some good ones.
The upmix is by Ben Wiseman according to the sleeve notes.

Has anybody else got this yet? I haven't seen any other posts, I've listened probably a half dozen or so times now and I like the mix a lot, there is plenty going on in the surrounds separate from the fronts, there is a slight muddiness to the drums, might just be me though, I would like to hear what others think of it.

The upmix is by Ben Wiseman according to the sleeve notes.
Mine arrived today Sven.

First listen to this album.

Ben has achieved a reasonable upmix, in my opinion.

I'm enjoying the album...BJH are certainly at the top of their game, with this release.

Of course, I'm disappointed the multi-track tapes couldn't be found. I'll still be buying this, just because I dig the band and this whole reissue series.
Uh huh. I sort of forgot about this. So, I go to importCD...and it's Backordered. I'm still going to order it. $20 and some change....

Received my copy today. First time I ever heard this album and I like it a lot.
Mine arrived today Sven.

First listen to this album.

Ben has achieved a reasonable upmix, in my opinion.

I'm enjoying the album...BJH are certainly at the top of their game, with this release.
I received my copy today. I agree about the upmix. I feel Ben achieved a reasonable upmix too. First time I ever heard this album. I find it to be very good.

I have a few Ben Wiseman remasters from Esoteric that I really like, but ‘a reasonable upmix’ isn’t very encouraging.

I've given this a few listens and it'll probably benefit from a few more but:

1. There is some movement of vocals between surrounds at the end of Titles which is good. That's pretty much it though for discrete-ness. It's mostly "all-around surround" most of the time. You'll probably benefit from upping your surrounds a few dB.
2. Bass is pretty good and fidelity is fine.
3. Would have been good if they upmixed the alternate mix of Child of the Universe that's only on the CD too. Even if the 16-bit was all that was available (not sure if it was or not).
4. The promotional films are kind of interesting. John Lees looks like a lifeguard!
5. This is probably my least favourite of all of these releases. Don't let that put you off though. I'd still recommend this and hope they continue with these re-releases. Such a great band.

Back