Basic SACD/Blu-Ray Audio Hardware Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surf

Hi! New Member here. Looked around the forums and did some searching but couldn't find the answer to my specific question.
I'm setting up a basic old school 4-channel system; a 1970's Pioneer QX-949 receiver that has CD-4, & SQ decoders, CD-4 capable turntable, etc. I was looking to hookup a Blu-Ray player to it also. One that has the 5.1 Analog RCA outputs to plug into the tape monitor inputs of the receiver. Looking for something that will play both Blu-Ray Audio 4.0 content, and 5.1 SACD. Is there a all-in-one Blu-Ray player that can do this? Is there something that does not require a TV/Monitor to switch settings -an audio standalone unit (probably not, but thought I would ask anyway)? Not looking to spend a great deal of money if possible? I'm willing to purchase 2 machines (Blu-Ray and DVD) if that's more practical?
Thanks in advance!

Thanks!!! I'm still searching the threads but was starting to come to that conclusion!
Do you know if the Oppo BDP-80, 83 or 93 are pretty good machines for what I'm looking for?
Seems the current used price for these models on ebay seems pretty reasonable?

Thanks!!! I'm still searching the threads but was starting to come to that conclusion!
Do you know if the Oppo BDP-80, 83 or 93 are pretty good machines for what I'm looking for?
I hope someone else will jump in here. It is too many years since I have used these players. I think it is more likely that the 93/95 will have updated BD specs. As for the requirement of a video monitor, most will require it for original setup but can operate perfectly well without.

I cant speak for the BDP-80.
I own a BDP-83 SE. Its advantage among the newer Oppos is it can play burned SACDs. I believe the 93 can not. Someone correct me if wrong here.

The 103's and 105's are more costly, but they can be used to rip SACDs as well. Not so with the other Oppos. This alone makes them more attractive to many.

As the models get older some have reported glitches when playing the newest Blurays. I have nor run into that.... yet. But I really don't play disks anymore.

There are a lot of 5.1 capable SACD players out there that play DVDs too. They usually won't play BluRays. But I picked one up before I got my Oppo for $40. a Yamaha DVD S1700. It has 5.1 analog outputs. There are zillions similar units floating around out there. Check fleabay, craigs list and facebook market place.
Willingness to have two machines rather than a universal , probably saves tons of money.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...nic_dp_ub820_k_premium_4k_blu_ray_player.html

I cant speak for the BDP-80.
I own a BDP-83 SE. Its advantage among the newer Oppos is it can play burned SACDs. I believe the 93 can not. Someone correct me if wrong here.

The 103's and 105's are more costly, but they can be used to rip SACDs as well. Not so with the other Oppos. This alone makes them more attractive to many.

As the models get older some have reported glitches when playing the newest Blurays. I have nor run into that.... yet. But I really don't play disks anymore.
The 93 can play burned discs as well - it's the 103 that can't.

The 93 is a great bet in my view...it benefits from being a second generation player and they're available at reasonable prices used. I recently had a little trouble using mine with my 4k TV, but there's a firmware release (not available from automatic update) that fixes the problem.

Back