Bass Communion - "Loss" cd/dvd-a available

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My DVD-A arrived today. Hopefully I'll be able to have a listen later today... judging from the booklet pictures I doubt this will be a fun disc. We were warned by Neil though.

copy arrived today diret from Solimoon records US to the UK, complete with a free Sampler CD. Great packaging, looking forward to midnight to listen to it

Everything by Steve Wilson I have heard, which is the three Porcupine Tree DVD-A's, I love. I can't find anything from "Loss" online to listen to, Allmusic.com doesn't seem to have it nor could I find samples on Steve Wilson site. I get a feeling this one is way out of the mainstream.

Chris

Everything by Steve Wilson I have heard, which is the three Porcupine Tree DVD-A's, I love. I can't find anything from "Loss" online to listen to, Allmusic.com doesn't seem to have it nor could I find samples on Steve Wilson site. I get a feeling this one is way out of the mainstream.

Chris

Way,.....WAY...out.

Chris

Probably because there are no conventional songs in the normal sense of the word.
You get Part 1 and Part 2. In the stereo, the 2 are distinct & separated, but in the 5.1 steven has crossfaded the whole thing together - although you can still jump to part 2 if you like.
It is nothing at all like Porcupine Tree.....no resemblance whatsoever.
In fact, unless you knew in advance, there is nothing to even suggest it is the same person.
bass communion is an ambient project, not conventional music.
I suspect Amazon have absolutely no idea how to do an extract, or what to extract.

Hi there Neil,

I'm quite interested.

a few questions:-

(a) What's the MLP resolution specs?;
(b) what's the total duration?
(b) what's the overall sound quality?;
(c) discrete or ambient surrounds & centre?;
(d) what kind of instruments (i.e. acoustic?, or electric? (i.e. guitars, bass etc.); or synthesizers? etc. etc. Also, is it with vocals (i.w. Steve Wilson singing) or purely instrumental?

Cheers,
Martin.

Last edited:
Hi there Neil,

I'm quite interested.

a few questions:-

(a) What's the MLP resolution specs?;
24-48
(b) what's the total duration?
Around 42 minutes (off the top of my head)
(b) what's the overall sound quality?;
What we have come to expect from Steven!
(c) discrete or ambient surrounds & centre?;
completely discrete
(d) what kind of instruments (i.e. acoustic?, or electric? (i.e. guitars, bass etc.); or synthesizers? etc. etc. Also, is it with vocals (i.w. Steve Wilson singing) or purely instrumental?

Cheers,
Martin.
Perhaps the only recognizable instrument is a piano.
There are no songs, or structures in the conventional sense of the word - it's a soundscape. Totally, er, "instrumental".

sound scapes descrete mix nothing like Porcupine tree.

I have enjoyed the disc, but its very much a time place and mood disc.

Late at night or when you have time to get sucked into the 'music' You have to listen to teh piece as a whole

I dont think anyone will be dissappointed with Loss unless you are expecting Porcupine Tree part 2.

Sounds good but the material to me is total garbage like my 2 year old was banging on the piano. Don't waste your money.

Not your cup of tea? Okay, we get it. You of course can decide what YOU like. But what a simplistic slam of a post; I have difficulty letting it stand unchallenged.

As a musician, fan of many types of music and Steve Wilson in particular, I must say this is not a frivolous effort thoughtlessly tossed out there. One look at the packaging reveals the level of intensity and nature of the album.

Several posts communicated that it would not be a PT experience whatsover, so you were warned before going in, unless you didn't see them beforehand.

Send me a private message with you address and total amount you paid so that I can relieve you of this burden, and then you can re-invest in something more obvious. :mad:

Sounds good but the material to me is total garbage like my 2 year old was banging on the piano. Don't waste your money.

I am sorry you feel like that but each to his own I like it (Possibly too simplistic to say like) I don’t Love it in the same way I love the music of PT, but enjoy the challenge of it. I happen to think that you have to listen to the DVD as a whole and spend the time to immerse your self in it to get the best out of it. That said elements of it would make an excellent horror movie soundtrack.

Maybe because I have played in a band in the past and quite got off on the more unconventional which was more difficult to play, let alone play well.

I recommend this release to anyone with an open mind to music and not stuck in one genre

Well, well, well. This one IS interesting. As described above, this album is about creating a mood through distorted piano and sound effects. In that goal, it succeeds marvellously. The bleakness is gorgeous in its purity. This is not "music" in the conventional sense, but I appreciate the effort nonetheless. The packaging is well-done with individual disc slipcovers and what appear to be (at least a couple of them) Victorian-era photos. While this is not for everyone, it is for me on my couch at night with the lights out with nothing around me but speakers.

Was interested in this one, being a fan of SW's work.

Just listened to the excerpt from his MySpace page (link kindly provided in post #10 of this thread).

I'm going to take a pass.
With money being limited right now my best investment will be in filling in the holes in my PT DVD-A collection, not on something that I will likely listen no more than once or twice.

Have to admire his versatility though :)

Just listened to this....
The music is not nearly as dark as you'd think...Dead can dance is way darker than this....
I enjoy This Mortal Coil better than DCD....

But the COVER...now it's a bit to much for me...

Back