Bass Fest - Making Things Rumble

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB-V

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Okay, every now and then I just like to make things shake...the wife ran out of the house last night, checking sound levels, embarrassed that the neighbors would think the police would be needed to break things up at our house....while flattering, I doubt anybody beyond the confines of our home noticed anything...she hates it when I have fun.

But anyway, if there's any interest, I'm curious what you have to thump things up and what your current go to track is for a Bass Fest...gives me some new options to try when the mood strikes...

I currently have 2 each 10" subs and 1 each 12" sub. I had 2 of the 12" subs for a few days, but took one elsewhere. That was fun.

Current tracks for a little thump:

Screenshot_20220702-145943_Apple Music.jpgScreenshot_20220702-150212_Apple Music.jpg

I bought my 1st subwoofer a few years ago (Polk PSW108), I'm surprised how much stuff rattles in my basement.

I rarely play LPs, so feedback isn't a problem.

Hearing so much bass from just ordinary music reminds me of my Smaller Advent speakers (used from 1972-12 to 1981-11), I just need to find a power strip that senses when power is flowing from one of its outlets and turns on another one of its outlets (for my media room system upstairs).

Kirk Bayne

Okay, every now and then I just like to make things shake...the wife ran out of the house last night, checking sound levels, embarrassed that the neighbors would think the police would be needed to break things up at our house....while flattering, I doubt anybody beyond the confines of our home noticed anything...she hates it when I have fun.

But anyway, if there's any interest, I'm curious what you have to thump things up and what your current go to track is for a Bass Fest...gives me some new options to try when the mood strikes...

I currently have 2 each 10" subs and 1 each 12" sub. I had 2 of the 12" subs for a few days, but took one elsewhere. That was fun.

View attachment 80853View attachment 80854

By all means I suggest checking out this down load kindly offered by
@Mr. Afternoon here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-1-remaster-24-96-flac-iaa.31450/#post-597151
The comments mentioned are entirely accurate. So this be the 4th of July.... play this loud enough & the neighbors will think your shooting off fireworks inside!

My 4 main speakers are large floor standing Infinity Kappa's each with matching 12" woofers. The fronts are actually 4 ways and the woofer cross over is 80Hz to a mid-bass driver. The rear chs are 3 ways sans the mid bass & the woofer crosses over higher there. Still they go quite deep. I have a DIY sub-woofer with 2, 12" drivers driven directly( no need for an XOVER) by a bridged Adcom 555 power amp. It's disguised a a coffee table with a nice glass top just behind the sweet spot listening chair facing forward. A favorite live performance of mine is the Yello Live in Berlin Blu-ray 4.1. It's great music, sound & performance. The bass is prodigious indeed but in my set up it is also very balanced & blends well with the rest of the music. Crank it up loud enough & it will pound your kidney stones away!

Post #765:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-v-bd-maybe-lds-too.19331/page-39#post-597590

My 4 main speakers are large floor standing Infinity Kappa's each with matching 12" woofers. The fronts are actually 4 ways and the woofer cross over is 80Hz to a mid-bass driver. The rear chs are 3 ways sans the mid bass & the woofer crosses over higher there. Still they go quite deep. I have a DIY sub-woofer with 2, 12" drivers driven directly( no need for an XOVER) by a bridged Adcom 555 power amp
Wow...that's what I am talking about! That is a lot of woofer surface area to thump things up! I bet it is an impressive, while balanced, Bass Fest when the mood strikes...

A favorite live performance of mine is the Yello Live in Berlin Blu-ray 4.1.
Another listening opportunity...I've been singing the "chika chika...oh yeeaaahhh" from Yello's "Oh Yeah" for years to my kids...never thought to check out an album...let alone a performance.

By all means I suggest checking out this down load kindly offered by
@Mr. Afternoon here:
Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, I only recently started to understand the potential for FLAC files / downloads / etc. and am not currently set up to play FLAC 5.1 files from my laptop. I was busy with vinyl for a long time, and my laptop is a company machine, that is restrictive on downloads and executable files, etc., understandably so. However, I was able to download the files and play through the windows player and out the 3.5 jack to RCA through the SM, but I am sure that is quite a different delivery...

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, I only recently started to understand the potential for FLAC files / downloads / etc. and am not currently set up to play FLAC 5.1 files from my laptop.

I see you have an Oppo BDP-83. I have no first hand experience with this unit but maybe it can play mch FLAC files through the USB. That's how I do it on my 105. Just a simple 3TB HDD with music/movie files plugged into the front USB. I'd suggest grab any 'ol USB flash drive ,copy the file, & see if it works in your Oppo.

Do you know Oppo has a remote control app for both Android & iPhone? It's a bit quirky but much better than punching buttons on the remote. And you don't even have to turn on a TV/monitor to see what your doing.

View attachment 80853View attachment 80854
this is a huge dilemma for me cause I HATE IT when I can hear a Subwoofer in my house from outside (because it's mostly DRIVEL being played...) so , by the same token, I do NOT like to turn the bass up or have movies (I was playing Iron Man 3 and THAT has a lot of air moving), so I try to keep it down and also just during a normal schedule...

this is a huge dilemma for me cause I HATE IT when I can hear a Subwoofer in my house from outside (because it's mostly DRIVEL being played...) so , by the same token, I do NOT like to turn the bass up or have movies (I was playing Iron Man 3 and THAT has a lot of air moving), so I try to keep it down and also just during a normal schedule...
Reminds me of what the kids were doing years ago. Everyone including my daughter had a big subwoofer in their cars, All you could hear as they drove by was boom boom boom! I don't notice that as much anymore.

Simple physics low freq bass notes travel through anything better than mid/high frequencies. So your gonna hear that subwoofer, drivel or not. My set up is in the basement. My neighbor next door has an almost identical house design & he is a drummer. His kit is in a basement rehearsal area. Now his un-amplified drums can be easily heard in the front yard or in our family room just a bit. Impressive.

A side subject is folks in condos or apartments. How do they get their bass on?

Last edited:
Reminds me of what the kids were doing years ago. Everyone including my daughter had a big subwoofer in their cars, All you could hear as they drove by was boom boom boom! I don't notice that as much anymore.

In the mid-80's when I acquired my Adcom/Infinity stuff, a friend worked at the stereo store where I purchased the gear. I was well taken care of. Anyway he said that at that time people were not so interested in great home audio, it was all about auto audio. He remarked that if it wasn't for all the $$$ car audio sales the store would be out of business. They are long gone. Shame it was a great little store called Sound Enterprise & their logo was Beethoven wearing headphones.

Yeah I don't notice the car boomaphonic sound so much anymore either.
Edit: And really I'm not offended by simple boom boom boom in a car next to me. It's not the bass it's the friggin' distortion that goes along with it! People that are into this seem to have no idea what clean bass is. It's like the auto woofers are rattling themselves into an early death.

Last edited:
the wife ran out of the house last night, checking sound levels, embarrassed that the neighbors would think the police would be needed to break things up at our house....while flattering, I doubt anybody beyond the confines of our home noticed anything...she hates it when I have fun.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

What first comes to mind is the track Russia On Ice by Porcupine Tree. I remember it suddenly beginning to rumble well into the track.

I see you have an Oppo BDP-83. I have no first hand experience with this unit but maybe it can play mch FLAC files through the USB. That's how I do it on my 105. Just a simple 3TB HDD with music/movie files plugged into the front USB. I'd suggest grab any 'ol USB flash drive ,copy the file, & see if it works in your Oppo.

Do you know Oppo has a remote control app for both Android & iPhone? It's a bit quirky but much better than punching buttons on the remote. And you don't even have to turn on a TV/monitor to see what your doing.
Unfortunately, the Oppo remote control app is only available for the 100/200 series players. The app has been a godsend in preventing potential burn-in on my new LG OLED TV: I’m able to access my USB connected HD to play music while viewing something other than the Oppo fairly static music play image on my TV.

Bass is boss! If I wanna demo some great-sounding drums and low bass for someone at my place, I'll go for:
1. Beck: The Golden Age
2. Gentle Giant: Playing the Game
3. Barclay James Harvest: Berlin

Not doof-doof bass by any stretch of the imagination but pretty low, hits hard, and sounds crisp and "clean" (whatever that means, but we all know what I mean, right?).

For movies, there are tons but a few that spring to mind are:
1. Blade Runner 2049: The first few minutes are room-shakers.
2. Leon/The Professional: Some very low bits in the beginning and also in parts of the score on the Extended Cut.
3. Godzilla (2014): This one has superb audio throughout.
4. Arrival (2016): I recall this shaking doors and hearing a "crack!" coming from the ceiling behind me. No visible damage to report.

Yeah, I agree on the car audio. Tons of bass but it sounds horrible. Nowhere near as prevalent now compared to the 90's around my way at least.

Oh My krunch, you sound like my father. And he'd be 103 if he was still alive. 🤪

I have tried that on my Oppo BDP-83 and unfortunately, it cannot play 5.1 FLAC through USB. That is one of the reasons I
I was quite hopeful, and spent too much time trying to get it to read the files! It doesn't read .wav either it would seem. Not sure what it reads. That's what I get for being an early adopter...

Back