BBC LaserDisc Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha!

well, I won't waste any time or money trying to get a laserdisc system up & running then. wasn't "Duran Duran" a character in that film?

and "Steely Dan" got their name from it too, I believe?

haha!

well, I won't waste any time or money trying to get a laserdisc system up & running then. wasn't "Duran Duran" a character in that film?

and "Steely Dan" got their name from it too, I believe?

Good catch, you're close. The character in the movie was actually named Durand Durand. The band was inspired by this name & changed it slightly to avoid copy problems or plagiarism.

Steely Dan's name was in fact taken from William S. Burroughs book, Naked Lunch. AFAIK there has never been a band named Steely Dildano. But there should have been.

Good catch, you're close. The character in the movie was actually named Durand Durand. The band was inspired by this name & changed it slightly to avoid copy problems or plagiarism.

Steely Dan's name was in fact taken from William S. Burroughs book, Naked Lunch. AFAIK there has never been a band named Steely Dildano. But there should have been.
Or Dildo Creem!

have a LD copy of "Barbarella" that I have never seen. Since Jane Fonda has been trying to bury the film, it's probably the best copy available? did it ever come out on DVD?
Here is the DVD, I think it's her best work!
Scan-201007-0001.jpg

I have the laserdisc and the blu-ray. The opening credits sequence is well worth the price of admission.

Maybe because I first saw it on a double bill with the then just-edited-to-get-an-R version of A Clockwork Orange, I had it in my head that Barbarella originally had an X rating. That's clearly not true and I'm either on too many or not enough drugs, but I thought this was interesting:

Barbarella (1968) - IMDb

I haven't seen it in a long, long time, but I'm confused by the references in the above to actual naughty bits. In my memory, it's all one big tease. Now I'm wondering if I've only ever seen it censored or if my memory is a prude.

Maybe because I first saw it on a double bill with the then just-edited-to-get-an-R version of A Clockwork Orange, I had it in my head that Barbarella originally had an X rating. That's clearly not true and I'm either on too many or not enough drugs, but I thought this was interesting:

Barbarella (1968) - IMDb

I haven't seen it in a long, long time, but I'm confused by the references in the above to actual naughty bits. In my memory, it's all one big tease. Now I'm wondering if I've only ever seen it censored or if my memory is a prude.
The "naughty bits" were mostly obscured by the letters of the credits, but you could still see enough! Back in 1968, Jane was hot!

The "naughty bits" were mostly obscured by the letters of the credits, but you could still see enough! Back in 1968, Jane was hot!

Yeah I really paid attention to those opening credits....
Jane was hot all right but the Black Queen fascinated me. You know, bad girls are always the most fun.

Back