BBC LaserDisc Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
Recently I've been transferring to DVD some of my more appreciated LD's that hard to find otherwise. My trusty 'ol Pioneer DVL-700 has been making some grindy mechanical noise so I figure I better capture stuff while I can.

Any way I've been in that mode of operation the last few days when I ran across this:

https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=978
I have no idea what the Domesday project is but this approach to getting video & audio off of LD is pretty fascinating to me. The irony is you still need a functioning LD player to use it but it is superior to using the players own 'tronics & using a AD vid cap card like I do. Alot to read there & I'll be back for the sub-topics. I don't think I'll ever do this myself as I'm Arduino dumb. But it would be just about the ultimate DIY!

Interesting idea. Looks like the best possible way to squeeze every last bit of information out of those old analog optical discs.

Once the emulator is up & running, it could be used in conjunction with something like Topaz Video Enhance AI* to produce some impressive content indeed.

* I haven't used their video product, but I am using Gigapixel AI. The improvement it can make to old, lo-res, overcompressed picture files is just some kinda straight-up voodoo magic.

Edit: I wonder if this idea might be adaptible to VHS & other video tape formats? The mind reels (heh).

Last edited:
Interesting idea. Looks like the best possible way to squeeze every last bit of information out of those old analog optical discs.

Once the emulator is up & running, it could be used in conjunction with something like Topaz Video Enhance AI* to produce some impressive content indeed.

* I haven't used their video product, but I am using Gigapixel AI. The improvement it can make to old, lo-res, overcompressed picture files is just some kinda straight-up voodoo magic.

Edit: I wonder if this idea might be adaptible to VHS & other video tape formats? The mind reels (heh).
Wow indeed! Thanks for the tip on the Topaz products. I was completly unaware of those. I've taken a quick glance at the stuff & will check again for more detail. $200 for the video product seems quite reasonable if it lives up to claims.

Well I got all excited after studying the Topaz Video AI. I set up an account, DL'ed the trial app (2.36 GB over 2400 files!) & it seemed to install fine. But when I try to launch it I get nothing. No error message, & no app. I even went to exe file on C: to try launch or run as administrator & nothing. Virus checker turned off & still nothing.

The apps developers aput quite an emphasis on Nvidia high end CUDA cards & mine is an older AMD Radeon that was great at the time but I'd have to go to device manager to know the model & specs. So I may do that. But I can't afford $200 for the app & another few hundred or more for another Vid card. Oh well. Then again tomorrow it might be just fine.

Last edited:
Mr. Wiz! Sorry to hear it didn't work. Yes this software is extremely GPU intensive; CPU as well, to a lesser degree. I upgraded my video card to an 8 GB model, (and kicked up the mobo RAM to 16 GB) just to get better performance out of the picture app; I haven't even tried the video app yet.

Mr. Wiz! Sorry to hear it didn't work. Yes this software is extremely GPU intensive; CPU as well, to a lesser degree. I upgraded my video card to an 8 GB model, (and kicked up the mobo RAM to 16 GB) just to get better performance out of the picture app; I haven't even tried the video app yet.
Well you might be Jim the Oldbie but I guess I am Sonik the Buffoon. Looking closer I see this app is for Win 10. My "family" PC is Win 10. What I tried to install on is Win 7... my Win 7 set up works so perfect. Guess I can see what it does on the upstairs PC!

Recently I've been transferring to DVD some of my more appreciated LD's that hard to find otherwise. My trusty 'ol Pioneer DVL-700 has been making some grindy mechanical noise so I figure I better capture stuff while I can.

Any way I've been in that mode of operation the last few days when I ran across this:

https://www.domesday86.com/?page_id=978
I have no idea what the Domesday project is but this approach to getting video & audio off of LD is pretty fascinating to me. The irony is you still need a functioning LD player to use it but it is superior to using the players own 'tronics & using a AD vid cap card like I do. Alot to read there & I'll be back for the sub-topics. I don't think I'll ever do this myself as I'm Arduino dumb. But it would be just about the ultimate DIY!

wow, that is pretty interesting. I have an old laserdisc player, not sure if it works

Sure, "Barbarella" is even on Blu-Ray.

I have a LaserDisc of a 1983 indy film called "Angelo My Love" - bought it at a hamfest of all places. It was written & directed by Robert Duvall. It's an interesting movie that I always hoped would be released in a more modern format (my LD player died a looong time ago). That never really happened, except a few grainy dubs of it finally showed up on YouTube. I keep meaning to borrow a player somewhere to see if I can get a clean rip of it into the computer but never seem to get around to it.

Sure, "Barbarella" is even on Blu-Ray.

I have a LaserDisc of a 1983 indy film called "Angelo My Love" - bought it at a hamfest of all places. It was written & directed by Robert Duvall. It's an interesting movie that I always hoped would be released in a more modern format (my LD player died a looong time ago). That never really happened, except a few grainy dubs of it finally showed up on YouTube. I keep meaning to borrow a player somewhere to see if I can get a clean rip of it into the computer but never seem to get around to it.
Maybe try this ?:

https://hdmediaplay.com/en/127129-angelo-my-love-1983.html

FWIW I used a free Microsoft upgrade from Win Seven to Win 10. I did it on two computers my laptop and tower. They were free. I did not have to enter the Windows registration number nor anything else. Both downloads and installs took a bit of time , around an hour or so.

I was utterly amazed. After it was finished rebooting itself a couple of times everything and I mean everything worked perfectly. I had absolutely no complaints. It was a Microsoft download site.

have a LD copy of "Barbarella" that I have never seen. Since Jane Fonda has been trying to bury the film, it's probably the best copy available? did it ever come out on DVD?
I don't know that she's actually trying to "bury" the film; I know she's not particularly proud of it, but it's out there, and on blu-ray now. Too bad they didn't do something with the sound; it's still compressed-sounding mono.

Wow thanks man! Are you registered on this site? The cynical part of me (that's the big, fat part) always figures there's gotta be a catch somewhere...
Sorry I am not on that site. I was just trying to find/post something quick abot Angelo/Barbarella in the 90 secs I had before leaving for a g'kids soccer game. I will poke around for something more solid today.

There is,however, much to be found about Beverly D'Angelo....

have a LD copy of "Barbarella" that I have never seen. Since Jane Fonda has been trying to bury the film, it's probably the best copy available? did it ever come out on DVD?
716q3vHs1NL._SL1500_.jpg

It's available on BOTH Blu Ray and DVD

https://www.amazon.com/Barbarella-B...ag=bluray-022-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Back