BBC Quad (H) broadcast of Shakti Concert: WAS: Where to post "Looking for {X} in surround?" {given unusual circumstances}

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further good and bad news as I’m monitoring the recording.

Bad news: in the quieter passages, there is noticeable FM hiss and some interference. This would be a hall-of-residence internal antenna!

Good news: the bass distortion has reduced somewhat. Perhaps my friend adjusted the record level? Some sections are quite listenable.

I’m now horrified at what we used to consider to be acceptable quality hi-fi, as impoverished students in the 70s!

...get the free demo version to try it out first?
Yes, that's the only way to try it for free (AFAIK, the auto level tracking isn't documented anywhere)

I mentioned this software w/auto level tracking over in tapeheads.net, I asked someone to record an all digital CD w/Dolby B on Type 1 tape, reduce the output signal level substantially, digitize the audio and see if the Dolby B auto level tracking restores the sound quality (no one did, they thought the auto level tracking wouldn't work), so I still don't know how well it works.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Further good and bad news as I’m monitoring the recording.

Bad news: in the quieter passages, there is noticeable FM hiss and some interference. This would be a hall-of-residence internal antenna!

Good news: the bass distortion has reduced somewhat. Perhaps my friend adjusted the record level? Some sections are quite listenable.

I’m now horrified at what we used to consider to be acceptable quality hi-fi, as impoverished students in the 70s!
I agree! I had a Rogers valve stereo tuner (with fixed stations, no tuning) I was given that I recorded the BBC In Concerts with as a student 76-79, onto cassette and then Reel-to-Reel, and most didn't come out that well! My better recordings were when I was back home and used my father's transistor Sony tuner.

Back