Be Aware of DVD-A discs (new still still Sealed stating Hong Kong) shipping from Taiwan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curiosity got the better of me and King's International Multimedia Co. Ltd is supposedly a Taiwanese Disc Manufacturer, just an address (which doesn't make sense and appears bogus) and a phone no., no website, no information about them other than on Bloomberg. Yet Bloomberg seems to indicate it is in Retail. Which is strange as a company that wants to do business internationally would have a website these days!
Yeah these are all likely Warner Germany manufactured discs thanks to Holland’s pics, and That is a good thing actually and signifies some level of high quality.

The other good thing about these being on the market is it will drive prices down on the other copies being offered for sale that are used. I mean good for buyers looking for Welcome to My Nightmare or another title. Prices have been dropping somewhat on many DVD-As as it was. Folks ripping to media servers and hard drives.

I’m glad I titled the thread “Be Aware” rather than “Beware” of these imports being sold.

I also would not sit around and wait too long on grabbing any of these that one wants as new condition sealed copies. Even if they have been around for years, they could dry up and be gone one day right when you decide you need one of them.

Yes indeed A, but I am still old school, disc based playback, I have been following Garry's thread in setting up the Nuc but its been a slow train, and I listen more in my car than anywhere.

Just to add to the intrigue on this subject, I found some scans of the REAL discs on one of my old computers. Here is a look at Billion Dollar Babies, the official version from over there:

JAPAN ALICE COOPER Billion dolloa DVD-AUDIO Selaed 1.jpg

JAPAN ALICE COOPER Billion dolloa DVD-AUDIO Selaed 2.jpg

JAPAN ALICE COOPER Billion dolloa DVD-AUDIO Selaed 3.jpg

Just to add to the intrigue on this subject, I found some scans of the REAL discs on one of my old computers. Here is a look at Billion Dollar Babies, the official version from over there:

View attachment 51328

View attachment 51329

View attachment 51330
This is a Japanese pressing, with Japanese printing and obi. The discs in question are Hong Kong issues, which are actually German pressings with added obis with Mandarin Chinese text I assume. So I would not expect Japanese pressings to appear anywhere near Taiwan, Hong Kong, or China.

Last edited:
ooh! found another one! 🎊🎉

REM's "Automatic For The People"

(which according to my notes, i got new and sealed in September 2014 for the earthly sum of £17)

View attachment 51046

View attachment 51047

so in amongst all the blurb, we have a url for 華納音樂台灣官方網站

(Warner Music Taiwan)

also, details for "King's International Multimedia Co. Ltd", which i presume either made or distributed these discs? 🤷‍♀️

In the Chinese text for the names of both Warner Music Taiwan (first horizontal line underneath the DVD-A logo) and King's International Multimedia Co., Ltd., the Chinese characters of 股份 are used. 股份 means shares of stock, which makes suspect that King's International is part owner of Warner Music Taiwan.

As a side note, there could be real trouble brewing in that region soon!

https://apple.news/ApcW7rF-TTmaAWe-8T1vUJw

At the minimum, I see the postponement, if not the outright cancellation, of the upcoming HK High-End Audio Visual Show in August. HK Universal Music has already hinted at what it may be doing for the show as it celebrates the 50th anniversary of its predecessor, HK PolyGram Records....

49925696681_6de9177405_c.jpg

Such as releasing the top 10 selling album in the company's history on Crystal Disc aka glass CD at US$1,900 per disc. Yes, US$1,900 per disc.

Last edited:
Back