Be Aware of DVD-A discs (new still still Sealed stating Hong Kong) shipping from Taiwan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
After I just recently saw that the Grateful Dead - "Working Man's Dead DVD-A" was being sold as an import reissue on eBay from Hong Kong, and being (said to) shipped out from Taiwan, and thinking it looked fishy, I decided to look up "for sale" titles for each and all of the DVD-A titles I could think of in the Warner / Rhino series. Just to see if all of them have been reissued, or counterfeited or what is going on. I found plenty. Just about the only ones I did not see were BBS, Machine Head, American Beauty, Chicago II & V, and Music from Big Pink. No Hong Kong knock-offs yet on those that I could find. And those un-reissued titles would be the least interesting being available in alternate surround versions. These people know what they are doing.

Here is the list of what is being currently sold as still sealed, obi in the DVD-A format. I get the feeling these are very recent pressings, as the "items sold" filter brings up just a few, and they are recent sales.

I'd be interested in your comments on this new development, and if it is at all possible these are legit product?

K.D. LANG Invicible Summer DVD AUDIO New & Sealed KD

Neil Young DVD AUDIO Road Rock Vol. 1 Friends Relatives New Sealed

R.E.M. Reveal DVD-Audio New Sealed All Region REM

LINDA RONSTADT What's New DVD AUDIO New & Sealed

ERIC CLAPTON Reptile DVD AUDIO New Sealed

Mana MTV Unplugged DVD Audio All Region New Sealed

Miles Davis TuTu [5.1 DVD Audio] New & Sealed

BELA FLECK DVD Audio The Bluegrass Sessions Tales From Acoustic New

THE BAND The Last Waltz DVD Audio New & Sealed

Natalie Merchant Tigerlily [DVD Audio] New & Sealed

Yes - Magnification DVD Audio New Sealed

THE DOORS L.A. Woman DVD Audio New Sealed

Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now DVD AUDIO Sealed

HOOTIE & BLOWFISH Cracked Rear View [DVD AUDIO] New & Sealed

Grateful Dead Workingman's Dead [DVD Audio] New Sealed

B.B. KING & ERIC CLAPTON Riding With The King [DVD AUDIO] Sealed

YES - Fragile DVD Audio New Sealed

Foreigner [5.1 DVD Audio] New & Sealed RARE

George Benson Breezin' [DVD Audio] New & Sealed Breezing

Alice Cooper DVD-Audio Billion Dollar Babies New Sealed

ALICE COOPER Welcome To My Nightmare DVD-AUDIO New Sealed

Foreigner 4 [5.1 DVD Audio] New & Sealed RARE

America Homecoming DVD Audio New Sealed All Region

Mana Suenos Liquidos DVD Audio All Region New Sealed

PAT METHENY Imaginary Day DVD AUDIO New Sealed

SEALED FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI 5.1 Surround

SEALED RANDY NEWMAN Little Criminals EU DVD AUDIO SEALED w/OBI

SEALED R.E.M. Automatic For The People EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI REM

SEALED OST JOHN WILLIAMS Artificial Intelligence EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI LARA FABIAN

BILLY COBHAM Spectrum EU DVD AUDIO

SEALED TREY ANASTASIO Self Title EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI PHISH

SEALED THE CORRS In Blue EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI

SEALED PHILIP GLASS Koyaanisqatsi EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI

SEALED PAUL SIMON You're The One EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI

SEALED DVD AUDIO Warner Promo Fleetwood Mac Neil Young Doors Natalie Merchant

SEALED CARLY SIMON No Secrets DVD AUDIO w/OBI

SEALED NEIL YOUNG Harvest EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI
(this is offered in a super-jewel case like the other DVD-As listed)

SEALED TAKE 6 Self Title DVD AUDIO w/OBI

SEALED ALANIS MORISSETTE Under Rug Swept EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI

FOREIGNER 4 EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI

SEALED DISTURBED Believe EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI OOP

SEALED ALICE COOPER Welcome To My Nightmare EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI

SEALED DOOBIE BROTHERS The Captain & Me EU DVD AUDIO w/OBI

Last edited:
After I just recently saw that the Grateful Dead - "Working Man's Dead DVD-A" was being sold as an import reissue on eBay from Hong Kong, and being (said to) shipped out from Taiwan, and thinking it looked fishy, I decided to look up "for sale" titles for each and all of the DVD-A titles I could think of in the Warner / Rhino series. Just to see if all of them have been reissued, or counterfeited or what is going on. I found plenty. Just about the only ones I did not see were Trilogy, Machine Head, American Beauty, Chicago II & V, and Music from Big Pink. No Hong Kong knock-offs yet on those that I could find. And those un-reissued titles would be the least interesting being available in alternate surround versions. These people know what they are doing.

Here is the list of what is being currently sold as still sealed, obi in the DVD-A format. I get the feeling these are very recent pressings, as the "items sold" filter brings up just a few, and they are recent sales.

I'd be interested in your comments on this new development, and if it is at all possible these are legit product?

VERY SUSPICIOUS, INDEED. If one recalls, when 8 Warner/Rhino titles from the DVD~A era were released a few years ago by Warner Japan, they reappeared as HYBRID Multi~CH SACDs...and NOT as DVD~As!

AFAIK, Warner/Rhino have NOT released any MLP DVD~A titles in years.......the last two, in fact, were DVD~V DTS 4.0: namely, Chicago Transit Authority and the Best of Aretha Franklin.

1589109470255.png

After I just recently saw that the Grateful Dead - "Working Man's Dead DVD-A" was being sold as an import reissue on eBay from Hong Kong, and being (said to) shipped out from Taiwan, and thinking it looked fishy, I decided to look up "for sale" titles for each and all of the DVD-A titles I could think of in the Warner / Rhino series. Just to see if all of them have been reissued, or counterfeited or what is going on. I found plenty. Just about the only ones I did not see were Trilogy, Machine Head, American Beauty, Chicago II & V, and Music from Big Pink. No Hong Kong knock-offs yet on those that I could find. And those un-reissued titles would be the least interesting being available in alternate surround versions. These people know what they are doing.

I've noticed that these suspect releases are passing themselves off as Japanese versions (OBI strips).
I actually fell for a live Roxy Music.
It looked like it was a Japanese release with OBI.
When I got it the disc said "made in Taiwan"

If people want these then it's their business and their money spent. But some like to buy things and own them for a while and then flip them for their money back. They need to know that if they come into a forum, say like here with these "imports" and offer it up for sale, they need to know the limits of the market and its potentially diminished resale value.

I've noticed that these suspect releases are passing themselves off as Japanese versions (OBI strips).
I actually fell for a live Roxy Music.
It looked like it was a Japanese release with OBI.
When I got it the disc said "made in Taiwan"
The text (on back of these) looks like Chinese to me. You didn't get the 5.1 remix out of your Taiwan import did you?

Oh, I almost forget. DVD-A, as has been discussed, is the hardest disc to copy and produce a good dupe that will play on any and all DVD-A players without issues. The few ways around this protection do not lend themselves to perfect cloned replication.

So I would like to see if these discs have exact menus, and bit perfect - like original playback?

Well, it's funny you mention this cuz I recently bought the Miles Davis- Tutu DVDA from the ebay chinese seller just cuz it was one that I missed out on from years ago. I have been playing a dewatermarked version for years now, I thought for $30 what the hell it's just about 5$ more than it originally sold for 20 yrs ago. so it should be arriving in a few weeks I will let ya'll know. K

Well, it's funny you mention this cuz I recently bought the Miles Davis- Tutu DVDA from the ebay chinese seller just cuz it was one that I missed out on from years ago. I have been playing a dewatermarked version for years now, I thought for $30 what the hell it's just about 5$ more than it originally sold for 20 yrs ago. so it should be arriving in a few weeks I will let ya'll know. K
Were you originally completely unaware of anything seeming unusual here when you clicked on "buy it" for the Tutu disc?

Very much looking forward to your dissection of contents right down to wav forms and offsets. But what is really needed, is to compare one of these titles with a 2001 original first pressing. A sophisticated view of the disc assets folders, and total image size. But I'm not into buying (spending on) one (a DVD-A) I already own, and the nicer titles in this new "reissue series" are set with a rather dear pricing lineup. The nicer and more interesting (imo) the title, the higher the price on these. See when Warner / Rhino issued this, they did not set B$B and Welcome at a higher price than a Randy Newman or a Tutu DVD-A did they? They are asking collector's prices here.

Maybe someone can loan you their Miles disc, and you can go to town on them.

(Much to my dismay, mostly because of the car I had at the time) WEA dropped DVD-A fairly quickly. I recall when the Quadio program started, Bob Vosgien told me quite matter-of-factly when I asked him why the Chicago disc was DVD-V and not DVD-A that WEA no longer wanted to release ANY DVD-Audio's and they were dropping the format altogether. If you remember, even Neil Young who was a big DVD-A guy started releasing his albums with DVD-V discs! o_O

For them now to be going back no matter what country they are doing it from is quite hard to believe. I would expect that these do not have the blessing of the label, but I am in no way qualified to make that statement.

Informed sources have told me in no uncertain terms that these are fakes and fraudulent pirate discs.

Buy at your own risk with no guarantee that they will perform as advertised. And since they are copies, who knows if the original watermark will come into play?

fwiw i picked this up in July 2012.

4976F652-95D6-4B3F-AB85-645E5A9A0CED.jpeg

it is in the same cardboard packaging, with the same fold out lyric sheet/poster and other catalogue insert as the U.S. release, plus it has an obi type outer slipcard and an extra catalogue insert with more blurb (in what i presume is the Taiwanese language?) and the disc itself is silk-screened with all the usual info (including WEA logo's) in the hub on the playing side.

if they're fake, they're elaborate and look authentic.. and they've been making them a while.

They really go the extra mile to make them look legit it appears. Since they "sell directly" and don't have to pay the artist or the label, I guess they can afford it.

it has ALWAYS baffled me that these EASTERN (can I say..chinese or former chinese??) nations which are SO POLICE STATE can afford to "release" these ..ehem..UN-official "releases"...and on top of that, have them FACTORY PRESSED....if ANYONE tried that in THIS SIDE of the world, they would find the aut*ridades at their door in NO TIME!!!!

The Far East and Eastern Europe sell more surround music that anyone else in the world. Heck, you can get copies of anything that ever came out, packaged with nice little graphics with official looking logos and they even have copyright warnings on them! These are packaged so well they fool quite a lot of people who have nowhere else to go to get their surround music, which in a way is sad itself.

However, the money these duped buyers give to these sellers could be used to do things that we don't even want to think about, as in who and what activities they are supporting. This might be the worst part about these offers, not to mention that the producers, artists, and investors who created the material see none of the money from these sales and in some cases these illegal releases impact the sale of the actual release.

Was looking for Pat Metheny Group: Imaginary Day dvd audio. Found this on Discogs.
Maybe someone can clarify - aren't OBI exclusive to Japanese releases?
Pat Metheny Group ‎– Imaginary Day
Imaginary Day (DVD, DVD-Audio, Multichannel, Album) album cover

Label:
Warner Bros. Records ‎– 9362-46791-9, Warner Music Taiwan ‎– 9362-46791-9
Format:
DVD, DVD-Audio, Multichannel, Album
Taiwan
Released:

So Warner Music does indeed have an office in Taiwan? Then they could take a drive over to see where the DVD-As are being warehoused? Make a few phone calls? Unless that results in a bad scene nobody wants to get involved with. Unless the Taiwan office does as they please, pays no mind to what the home office in Los Angeles does. Kind of strange but ok.

Warner Music Taiwan
The regional Warner company that typically uses this branding is Warner Music Taiwan Ltd. If that company appears on your release in a role other than the copyright holder, please use that profile.

Parent Label:
Warner Music Taiwan Ltd.
Contact Info:
Warner Music Taiwan
Songshan District, Taipei City 105, 133, Minsheng East Road, Section 10F
Sites:
warnermusic.com.tw

fwiw i picked this up in July 2012.

View attachment 51010

it is in the same cardboard packaging, with the same fold out lyric sheet/poster and other catalogue insert as the U.S. release, plus it has an obi type outer slipcard and an extra catalogue insert with more blurb (in what i presume is the Taiwanese language?) and the disc itself is silk-screened with all the usual info (including WEA logo's) in the hub on the playing side.

if they're fake, they're elaborate and look authentic.. and they've been making them a while.
Menu all perfect on the tv. and the wrong channel assignments where they are expected too?

whatever's happening now, the Harvest DVD-A was already long out of print when i bought that disc nearly 8 years ago.

if the artists and labels wanted to prevent piracy and continue to rake in some dough they could've kept it in print or at least available in some shape or form, Blu-ray, Japanese SACD.. even an HD legit download or whatever of the Adv'd Res 2.0 & 5.1. they didn't and so i guess pirates filled the void.. supply and demand.

at the time i had no reason to believe it was counterfeit and thought it was a genuine Japanese (Taiwanese..? dirty knees, how are these..!) regional variation of some kind.

my notes say it was £30 including international shipping for a "brand new" one, a relative snip then. i recall i didn't want a beaten up used copy, which with Harvest in the card packaging was mostly what i was seeing in that price range so i went for it.

it looked the part when it turned up, worked ok and its played no problem in all the years since.

its biggest problem is its still got the same mix as the U.S. version! wah wah wah.. 😂

Back