Be-Bop Deluxe in surround! (“Drastic Plastic” out in 2021!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And finally... if anyone's watched the videos at the end of the Sunburst Finish DVD, is your Harvest promo out of sync? Or is it just very badly mimed?

I want to emphasize that this is purely a RUMOR, however, I have a feeling that the next Be-Bop Deluxe box set will be for "Modern Music", mainly because that album is currently not available to buy digitally or stream (whereas "Axe Victim" and "Drastic Plastic" are still available).

Again, just a rumor, but since we got "Sunburst Finish" last November and "Futurama" in May, would it be too much of a stress to suggest that we could get this supposed "Modern Music" box set in November?

:)

I want to emphasize that this is purely a RUMOR, however, I have a feeling that the next Be-Bop Deluxe box set will be for "Modern Music", mainly because that album is currently not available to buy digitally or stream (whereas "Axe Victim" and "Drastic Plastic" are still available).

Again, just a rumor, but since we got "Sunburst Finish" last November and "Futurama" in May, would it be too much of a stress to suggest that we could get this supposed "Modern Music" box set in November?

I’d prefer Axe Victim over Modern Music myself, but your rationale makes sense. If Stephen Tayler is the remix engineer again, I’ll be skipping the next BeBop release, regardless of which title is involved. Not a fan of his unexciting, conservative Futurama mix.

Fantastic! I woke up this morning disappointed by the high price of new Gentle Giant Unaffordable Treasure Box Set. And now the day is ending on a high note with this announcement . Riverside’s Wasteland In 4.1 was pretty good too

I'm not familiar with Steven Tayler ....... enlighten me KID?
Tayler did the surround remixes for the two current Be-Bop DVD-V releases - Sunburst Finish and Futurama.

I don’t have Sunburst, but most reviews indicated a very conservative & reserved mix. That’s exactly what I found to be the case on Futurama. Be-Bop’s music is fairly sophisticated and features the great guitar work of band leader Bill Nelson, which makes it a prime candidate for an innovative and immersive surround mix. Unfortunately, Tayler doesn’t take advantage of it. Very disappointing for this long time Be-Bop fan.

BTW Mark Powell (the head of Esoteric Recordings) has revealed that after "Modern Music" in December, "Axe Victim" will be the next deluxe edition and will be released in Spring 2020, which can only mean that "Drastic Plastic" will conclude the series a year from now in late 2020.

BTW Mark Powell (the head of Esoteric Recordings) has revealed that after "Modern Music" in December, "Axe Victim" will be the next deluxe edition and will be released in Spring 2020, which can only mean that "Drastic Plastic" will conclude the series a year from now in late 2020.

Conclude? I think (and I'll have to look) but Bill may have made mention of all his EMI catalogue getting this treatment and did mention the Red Noise album (please please please!)

Conclude? I think (and I'll have to look) but Bill may have made mention of all his EMI catalogue getting this treatment and did mention the Red Noise album (please please please!)

I meant conclude the series of Be-Bop Deluxe reissues, but I'm sure there are plans to reissue more of Bill Nelson's work once they move past all of the Be-Bop Deluxe albums.

I meant conclude the series of Be-Bop Deluxe reissues, but I'm sure there are plans to reissue more of Bill Nelson's work once they move past all of the Be-Bop Deluxe albums.

Oh yeah, those few releases on Phonogram after the EMI years - Quit Dreaming, Love That Whirls (that's an especially great candidate, I'd really love for that album to get a 5.1....one of my fave BN albums ever!), Chimera. And he had so many extras from those albums, b-sides, bonus discs etc....lots of potential for great deluxe sets if the market is there.

Damn, so no Axe Victim In 5.1? I know it’s their first platter and only Bill Nelson made it to Futurama, but it’s a great album that could translate nicely to surround if done properly. Jet Silver and the Dolls Of Venus, Aventures In a Yorkshire Landscape, Jets at Dawn, and especially No Trains to Heaven have a lot to offer for an innovative remix engineer (not named Stephen Tayler!).

Damn, so no Axe Victim In 5.1? I know it’s their first platter and only Bill Nelson made it to Futurama, but it’s a great album that could translate nicely to surround if done properly. Jet Silver and the Dolls Of Venus, Aventures In a Yorkshire Landscape, Jets at Dawn, and especially No Trains to Heaven have a lot to offer for an innovative remix engineer (not named Stephen Tayler!).

You didn’t read all my posts!
I say a few posts up that “Axe Victim” will be released as a box set around Spring 2020, which means that “Drastic Plastic” will probably be out in the last quarter of 2020 and that will conclude the series of BE BOP DELUXE box sets

Sorry I missed that! I’ll buy Axe Victim even if it’s mixed by Tayler. Maybe he’ll have honed his remix skills by then.

Back