Be-Bop Deluxe in surround! (“Drastic Plastic” out in 2021!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today some Drastic Plastic has found it's way into my Oppo and the Plastic is Drastically good!
Probably been a couple of decades since I've played this but on the up side as much as I remember loving it (along with all the Bebops and the Bills) with the 5.1 mixes it's like Deja vu all over again for the first time only better! I know it is probably to much to expect but I hope Live! In The Air Age gets the Deluxe treatment in 5.1 (or even a 2.0 Deluxe 96/24 upgrade would be welcome) along with Bill's Red Noise, anything after that would just be gravy (y) I am Up to Dangerous Stranger so far and really digging it :dance

I am so looking forward to getting this one - it'll definitely not sit in the "waiting to play" stack...first chance I get it's in the player.

DeepDiscount processed the charge on my card yesterday so I expect they'll send the "shipped" message today or tomorrow.

Got my confirmation too
Just hope I don’t get whacked for import charges as I did on the last two BBD boxes I ordered

When I lived in BC, I never really minded paying the $1 or 2 of tax if I bought a cd...it was the $5 "processing" fee that the post office charged that really got my back up.

When I lived in BC, I never really minded paying the $1 or 2 of tax if I bought a cd...it was the $5 "processing" fee that the post office charged that really got my back up.

Exactly
With RR Donnelley shipments from Deep Discount/ImportCDs that “handling” charge is $7.25.
No doubt in my mind Canada Customs could care less about their $2.53
It’s all about RRD getting their charge.
But I’m begrudgingly willing to risk it because even with the potential $10+ extra the grand total is still cheaper than the alternatives.

Yeah , that used to really P me off ...bloody fn customs and excise tax!
On pretty much every album to!

I preorder directly from Cherry Red Records, when the package arrived last week I had to pay 18 EUR import tax charges otherwise they wouldn't deliver --- first time ever thanks to the Brexit. I knew that sooner or later it would happen anyway, but 18 EUR !!! Still it was cheaper at that time since in Germany it was over 100 EUR when I ordered. Now it went town to 85.99 EUR and of course my impatience cost me almost 10 EUR... 🤬🤬🤬
Anyway, a first listen was very rewarding. All of the BBD 5.1 mixes are in my opinion very well done. Consistently in all of them you get in the center channel voice, bass and drums, and in the rear channels overdubs and extra arrangements. I like this kind of mixes, which you get also in some Rush releases. If done well the instruments don't get in the way of the voice.
My favorite track is Surreal Estate, the mix here manages to bring to life some exquisite details such as a mandolin which is there in the original mix but somewhat lost in the busy arrangements. This track has a Talking Heads feel to it. Another track I like is Love in Flames, meant to be heard LOUD. Yet, the excellent mix manages to bring to surface many details like a guitar lick up front and keyboards in the back. I miss the bass in the center channel here, which is blended in the front channel. I think fittingly so due to the very prominent guitar. This track and New Mysteries remind me of Snakefinger. Proof of how much Bill Nelson was in the cutting edge of the sound of the times, as when Drastic Plastic was recorded (June 1977) neither Talking Heads nor Snakefinger had released anything yet !

Look what came in the mail from Deep Discount

Attachments

• D5FE0FFB-6DE5-482A-B449-EC39C8A32B64.jpeg
    D5FE0FFB-6DE5-482A-B449-EC39C8A32B64.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
And of course, there's actually one other Be Bop album - Live in the Air Age. Probably asking too much - but believe me, you can take my money if they ever become a reality.
Bill has responded personally to a query on one of the Be Bop FaceBook groups:

'There WILL be a 'Live In The Air Age' re-issue later this year and fans of the band are in for a real treat. I'm given to understand that this album will be released in a limited, numbered edition version with more extra tracks than any other Be Bop box set issued so far. I won't go into details as I don't want to spoil the surprise but I think it will absolutely blow your mind!'

Yay, my copy, of Drastic, should finally be arriving this weekend.
After a third party seller, on Amazon, refunded my original purchase, as it got lost in the post!!
So ordered it directly from Amazon themselves.

Looking forward to hearing this iconic album ....in surround...🙂

Back