Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two 5.1 Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shame to have missed that deal, never heard of this release until a few minutes ago. Managed to order one in like new condition from Amazon UK shipped for 18 pounds, current exchange rate to CDN is 1.92 so CDN$35.

Only one review of this, any other thaughts on this release?

I agree with stormchaser's old review from 2011 - as far as the surround mix goes it's discrete, but very tame. I too was hoping for something really aggressive like Beck's Guero or the Flaming Lips mixes but maybe that was expecting too much. The hardback book that the disc is housed in is beautifully designed and constructed though, and I'd gladly pay $15 or $20 for it, I think it's also the only way you can get the stereo mix in hi-rez.

I have to confess, I've only listened to this disc a few times and the major reason for that is that it was recorded while Adam Yauch (MCA) was sick with the cancer that would soon claim his life, and you can hear his voice is audibly weakened on this album - it makes it a really hard listen for me on an emotional level.

The Beastie Boys were one of the first bands I ever loved, and one of the first concerts I ever went to (Lollapalooza 1994). I would love to hear their back catalogue remixed in 5.1 but I think there's very little chance of that given the morass of sample rights clearances they'd have to re-acquire to do any remix. When they put out the 20th anniversary edition of 'Paul's Boutique' a few years back, they didn't add any b-sides or bonus tracks to the disc (even though a whole bunch exist) because changing the tracklisting of the disc would constitute it being a new work and all of the samples would have to be cleared.

I would love to hear their back catalogue remixed in 5.1 but I think there's very little chance of that given the morass of sample rights clearances they'd have to re-acquire to do any remix.

You can still enjoy some 5.1 mixes on the Criterion Beastie Boys Video Anthology. Unfortunately, I think it's the most we'll ever get. It's a nice set though and has a great selection of songs with alternate mixes.

Beastie-Boys%20Criterion%201_zpsotlxhzhk.jpg

Beastie-Boys%20Criterion%202_zpsi6pbsu0e.jpg

You can still enjoy some 5.1 mixes on the Criterion Beastie Boys Video Anthology. Unfortunately, I think it's the most we'll ever get.

Yeah I picked that one up when it originally came out about 15 years ago - another one I haven't listened to in a while but the 5.1 mixes sounded like they'd taken the stereo mixes and added reverb to the rear speakers, or in some cases tried to make 5.1 mixes out of the instrumental and acapella versions of songs (ie instruments in the front two and vocals in the front 3) but again not the surround extravaganza I was hoping for given the nature of the music.

Just picked this up myself too... the package is really nice, the blu-ray is fun... but man, the audio mixes on the disc (I'm talking stereo AND surround here) sound fine overall but don't have any of the attack or heavy punch of the version you can stream over Qobuz. Really curious. I love how a song like "Too Many Rappers" or "Say It" just PUMMELS, and that's weirdly taken away in the blu ray mixes, like the intros and such seem to be purposely mixed in like a "lo-fi" kinda vibe. Things that make you go "hmm..."

Back