Beatles 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance7489

Does anyone have a comment on quality regarding Beatles 5.1 releases (Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper etc) ? I haven't seen anything in the forums about this & I'm thinking of purchasing some of them. Are they worth it ???

Does anyone have a comment on quality regarding Beatles 5.1 releases (Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper etc) ? I haven't seen anything in the forums about this & I'm thinking of purchasing some of them. Are they worth it ???
Yes, what Homer said. Do freely utilize the QQ search function. An amazing time machine.

Thanks !! ..........Didn't notice the search box before. Even though I've been a member for a couple of years, I haven't been that active until recently. I don't have dolby atmos in my system. Will the discs playback in blu ray audio 5.1 ? It sounds like they will but want to be sure.

Thanks !! ..........Didn't notice the search box before. Even though I've been a member for a couple of years, I haven't been that active until recently. I don't have dolby atmos in my system. Will the discs playback in blu ray audio 5.1 ? It sounds like they will but want to be sure.
Yes. I have it but playback is 5.1 not ATMOS. Sounds great. But it is a very buggy disc. On mine it always starts off with the music video I can not skip forward. Then eventually it gets into the music which is amazing.

Yes. I have it but playback is 5.1 not ATMOS. Sounds great. But it is a very buggy disc. On mine it always starts off with the music video I can not skip forward. Then eventually it gets into the music which is amazing.
What do you mean by "Buggy" ?

What do you mean by "Buggy" ?
Many previous comments on this when the disc came out. Try search. But when it starts off with a music video instead of a menu & no way to click around it, that's my example.

Edit: I am referring to only Abbey Road. I do not have Sgt Pepper surround. Beatles LOVE is quite respected here.

I wish they'd do nice, 4-corner aggressive mixes. They now have the technology to sync up all the pre-bounce tracks, so we could literally get a Beatle in each corner of the room like I attempted for my mix of Abbey Road. See, I'd buy something like that. Or, a vintage-style, aggressive mix.

I was not all that impressed with the "Love" 5.1 DVD of a few years ago and haven't read it said that these modern mixes are very discrete either.

I wish they'd do nice, 4-corner aggressive mixes. They now have the technology to sync up all the pre-bounce tracks, so we could literally get a Beatle in each corner of the room like I attempted for my mix of Abbey Road. See, I'd buy something like that. Or, a vintage-style, aggressive mix.

I was not all that impressed with the "Love" 5.1 DVD of a few years ago and haven't read it said that these modern mixes are very discrete either.
I agree,I am not that fond of "Love" either. I mentioned it to Lance in context that I have read many positive comments from others here on QQ.

Now the movie "Across the Universe" is a great story with great music in surround. Ahem, IMO.

It's definitely not a four-corner mix, but there's a lot of isolated activity in the rear speakers on the 5.1 Abbey Road - Billy Preston's organ breaks in "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" come mostly from the back right corner, as does the guitar solo in "Polythene Pam". Ringo's double-tracked vocals in 'Octopus' Garden" are split between the center and rear speakers. Harmonies in "Oh Darling" and "Here Come The Sun" are almost completely isolated in the rears. If you solo the rears in "Come Together", you can hear Paul's backing vocals on their own. It's a surprisingly good listen.

But when I go back and attempt to listen to the original stereo versions of The Beatles surround releases, I give up...quckly. The new surround stuff shines brightly in comparison.

I own Abbey Road, White Album and St. Pepper box sets which all have 5.1 and/or Atmos (Abbey Road). I also own Love.

Abbey Road is the best of them and the Atmos track is a real reference standard. By far the best Atmos music I have heard. This album is solid from beginning to end and has some incredible moments all of which are made better with 5.1 or Atmos.

White Album is also very good and was on my pretty constant playback list until Abbey Road came out.

Sgt. Pepper also good but the others are better.

Love is my least favorite as it is just a bit disjointed compared to the others.

Love is my least favorite as it is just a bit disjointed compared to the others.

I agree with you, but Love contains these essential Beatle 5.1 cuts:

- I Am The Walrus (Because the surround mix blows away that used on the MMT Bluray movie.)
- Revolution (Because it's the only official version out there in surround, and it's quite good.)
- A Day In The Life (Because the mix is a bit different than on Pepper; and Lennon saying "sugar plum fairy" at the beginning is neat.)
- Hey Jude (Because it's the only official version in surround. To bad they chopped out a verse.)
- All You Need Is Love (Because it's unaltered until the fade out, and a really neat surround mix.)

[Edit: Also, remember when it first came out...it gave us hope of what the future could be.]

Sgt peppers 8/10
White album 9/10
Abbey road 9/10
Love 9/10
1 9/10

only my opinion

I agree except for 1, I'd only give that a 6/10. And if it wasn't for the two add on songs on Sgt Pepper (Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane) I would drop it to a 7/10.
The Love album is mind-bending and a fun listen.

Now the movie "Across the Universe" is a great story with great music in surround. Ahem, IMO.

Great movie. I am not a big fan of musicals but I am such a big fan of The Beatles that there is no way I can't like that movie. Very well done and choreographed. It's what that abomination with the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton that came out in the 70's could have been.

They led me to trying to remaster a version that lined up more with the fidelity of the original stereo and mono mixes. Putting an album on shouldn't immediately lead me to thinking I need to try to fix it! I would have been happier in the end to skip these altogether. (I did just that and avoided Abbey Road after hearing the other two.) They're not just the poorest work. There are releases butchered up, down, left, and right. These aren't that. They genuinely sound very professional overall. The problem is these needed to be hit out of the park or nothing. Or at least they needed to preserve the fidelity of the original releases. Those who may have only heard some of the chirpy CD releases and never heard the good copies get an upgrade here. That's not good enough.

Last edited:
Great movie. I am not a big fan of musicals but I am such a big fan of The Beatles that there is no way I can't like that movie. Very well done and choreographed. It's what that abomination with the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton that came out in the 70's could have been.
Yes Sir, same here. I am not a fan of musicals. Maybe Strictly Ballroom (if that's even a real musical) and Across the Universe are about it. And the latter is both an artistic & emotional success. Being as so much of it occurs around American events I look forward to hearing @HomerJAU responds to it.

Back